Vacation Bible School

Vacation Bible School

William
William

June 12th, 2013, 4:48 pm #1

When I was rather young and VBS was new in the churches of Christ there was a bit of controversy about it. I think there still is. I fully agree with the purposes and goals of VBS, but I wonder about the materials a bit. In my congregation, this year we are going to use materials by Group Publishing. I do not see any particular flags, but I have not reviewed the materials in detail, either. It is not necessarily my job to do that. I know that Group Publishing has at least a very trinitarian tilt to their materials.

Occasionally, I will see a review of VBS materials published by Truth Magazine, but I do not subscribe to that magazine.

Who out there has reviewed the potential VBS materials for 2013. I wonder why we do not lean more towards materials published by our own brotherhood, yet vetted by a congregation's elders?

June 13th, 2013, 6:59 am #2

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]I have done very little research on VBS materials used in congregations of the church of Christ.

I think that even though Truth Magazine is affiliated with the church of Christ, its VBS materials may be considered as "limited and narrow" as the church's teachings. [My basis is that change agents operating in the brotherhood have this mindset about the church of Christ -- narrow-minded and non-inclusive.]

Group Publishing is interdenominational in scope, I think, with emphasis on the youth, the youth ministry, growth of the church with its youth. For this reason, some of our church leaders may find Group's VBS materials more appealing.

A Trinitarian tilt to teaching materials is not uncommon even among churches of Christ. (As we know from our Restoration Movement history, our forefathers questioned so many denominational teachings, doctrines and creeds -- that's what made the RM so unique as it emphasized New Testament teachings and principles and disregarded human creeds. The Trinity Creed is one of those. Even the hymn "Holy, Holy, Holy" in our songbooks has the modified version of "God overall, and blest eternally" instead of "God in Three Persons, Blessed Trinity." That's a strong indication that even our hymn publishers and compilers in the past were aware of the very popular Trinity doctrine.)

You brought up an excellent point in your last sentence concerning the non-use of "materials published by our own brotherhood...." I'm afraid this is a lost cause -- thanks to the change agents who consider the NT church as just one of the world's religious denominations.[/color]

Scripture
Scripture

August 13th, 2013, 2:06 pm #3

The importing of literature from the Internet and from pop religious literature, without regard to church history and root doctrine, is the established pattern now in many congregations. Perhaps these choices give a comfort that "something is being done" to protect against congregational decline, but all too often this is just a placebo that makes them think that something "has really been accomplished." What happens instead, is that the literature drives away the devout, while appealing to the sense that "all is good in Zion."

It is a mystery to many how the literature is chosen, and who chooses it. One might think that the literature is chosen at the highest levels of church government, since the elders are to "guard the flock against ravening wolves" (Acts 20:29). One good way to get literature is to take those best qualified in doctrine and in understanding the interaction of motivation and teaching, and to get these persons to choose the program of the church. Another way is to bring the teaching staff into the picture, and make a choice based on their knowledge.

We could measure the attendance before the adoption of new teaching literature with the attendance after its application, and if it fails QUANTITATIVELY to gather in new sheep, then some modification must be made to the group choosing the literature. Then we might be closer to Paul's admonition "over the which the Holy Ghost has made you overseers" (Acts 20:28). The Holy Ghost does not make overseers who allow the church to decline year after year. There must be some accountability. The Holy Ghost expects accountability.

Bill
Bill

August 13th, 2013, 3:23 pm #4

Scripture wrote: "The Holy Ghost does not make overseers who allow the church to decline year after year. There must be some accountability. The Holy Ghost expects accountability."

Does that mean the Holy Ghost is a person who makes us overseers of the Church and takes note of our accountability?

August 13th, 2013, 3:24 pm #5

The importing of literature from the Internet and from pop religious literature, without regard to church history and root doctrine, is the established pattern now in many congregations. Perhaps these choices give a comfort that "something is being done" to protect against congregational decline, but all too often this is just a placebo that makes them think that something "has really been accomplished." What happens instead, is that the literature drives away the devout, while appealing to the sense that "all is good in Zion."

It is a mystery to many how the literature is chosen, and who chooses it. One might think that the literature is chosen at the highest levels of church government, since the elders are to "guard the flock against ravening wolves" (Acts 20:29). One good way to get literature is to take those best qualified in doctrine and in understanding the interaction of motivation and teaching, and to get these persons to choose the program of the church. Another way is to bring the teaching staff into the picture, and make a choice based on their knowledge.

We could measure the attendance before the adoption of new teaching literature with the attendance after its application, and if it fails QUANTITATIVELY to gather in new sheep, then some modification must be made to the group choosing the literature. Then we might be closer to Paul's admonition "over the which the Holy Ghost has made you overseers" (Acts 20:28). The Holy Ghost does not make overseers who allow the church to decline year after year. There must be some accountability. The Holy Ghost expects accountability.
The Spirit of Christ defined it: "Women and BOYS are ruling over you."

The BOYS whine that the women now need the pulpit when we all know that they have usurped the role of NOT APT eldlers long, long ago. I believe that Madison had a female Campus Mistress? So, they rule from cradle to the grave and a noted christian publisher told me that "we don't do evangelism: we are in the publishing business."

I remember a youth minister when the women and BOYS wanted him to use the cut-out and paste-up literature for the 12 grade.

My daughter refused to teach a class where a PIG was the character in teaching the Old Testament.

They tried to infiltrate the music thingy by teaching the story of Hezekiah who didn't care about his children and grandchildren AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT HAPPEN IN MY TIME: Meaning while he hung around the temple-NEVER INSIDE SILLY PEOPLE--and played the harp.

Muslim warning; "If the father plays the tambourine his children will dance." Yea, says Jeff Walling daring to dance with God." Out of Harding they teach at SOUTHWEST "a church of christ" Delighting in the Holy Spirit. Christ in Isaiah 58 COMMANDED the antithesis of the Civil-Military-Clergy and commands that we delight in the WORD not seeking our own pleasure and NOT speaking our own Words.

non invenitur voluntas tua ut loquaris sermonem

August 13th, 2013, 3:31 pm #6

Scripture wrote: "The Holy Ghost does not make overseers who allow the church to decline year after year. There must be some accountability. The Holy Ghost expects accountability."

Does that mean the Holy Ghost is a person who makes us overseers of the Church and takes note of our accountability?
Paul commanded Titus to "identify" men who were "laboring to the point of exhaustion in preaching and teaching." Their OWN spirit made them APT to teach.

In Ephesians 4 the Spiritually gifted men...

Ephesians 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to
.....the measure of the GIFT of Christ.
Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith,
.....When he ascended up on high,
.....He led captivity captive,
.....and [He] gave gifts unto men. given grace according to
.....the measure of the GIFT of Christ.
Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith,
.....When he ascended up on high,
.....He led captivity captive,
.....and [He] gave gifts unto men.

These men were supernaturally gifted until the MATURITY or perfection. Later Paul commanded that the ELDERS teach that which had been taught.

This continued the command from the wilderness onward to PREACH the Word (ONLY) by READING the Word for Comfort and Doctrine.

The only way any person protects their WILL is by having it written down to MARK and AVOIDE those who "private interpret" or further expound as false teachers says Peter after HIS part of the memory had been delivered to the PERFECT will.
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on August 13th, 2013, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill
Bill

August 13th, 2013, 4:32 pm #7

Scripture quoted part of Acts 20:28, which says, "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood" (KJV).

Paul says that it is the HOLY GHOST who makes us overseers of the Church. Hmmm. Now even though Paul mentions nothing about the Holy Ghost in his salutations (which some interpret to mean Paul doesn't regard the Holy Spirit as a "person"), based on Acts 20:28, it surely sounds more like Paul DOES regard the Holy Spirit as a "person."

Scripture
Scripture

August 13th, 2013, 4:44 pm #8

The Spirit of Christ defined it: "Women and BOYS are ruling over you."

The BOYS whine that the women now need the pulpit when we all know that they have usurped the role of NOT APT eldlers long, long ago. I believe that Madison had a female Campus Mistress? So, they rule from cradle to the grave and a noted christian publisher told me that "we don't do evangelism: we are in the publishing business."

I remember a youth minister when the women and BOYS wanted him to use the cut-out and paste-up literature for the 12 grade.

My daughter refused to teach a class where a PIG was the character in teaching the Old Testament.

They tried to infiltrate the music thingy by teaching the story of Hezekiah who didn't care about his children and grandchildren AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT HAPPEN IN MY TIME: Meaning while he hung around the temple-NEVER INSIDE SILLY PEOPLE--and played the harp.

Muslim warning; "If the father plays the tambourine his children will dance." Yea, says Jeff Walling daring to dance with God." Out of Harding they teach at SOUTHWEST "a church of christ" Delighting in the Holy Spirit. Christ in Isaiah 58 COMMANDED the antithesis of the Civil-Military-Clergy and commands that we delight in the WORD not seeking our own pleasure and NOT speaking our own Words.

non invenitur voluntas tua ut loquaris sermonem
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour:

Does this verse mean that the devil is a person?

It's more like the presence or spirit of the Devil goes about, energized by our own covetousness and vice.

Bill
Bill

August 13th, 2013, 7:15 pm #9

Just as some folks regard the Holy Spirit as a person, so some folks also regard Satan or the Devil as a person.

Bill
Bill

August 13th, 2013, 7:32 pm #10

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour:

Does this verse mean that the devil is a person?

It's more like the presence or spirit of the Devil goes about, energized by our own covetousness and vice.
I don't recall the KJV having wording such as "the spirit OF Satan/the Devil." Rather, the Bible makes reference to Satan/the Devil is if he were a distinct entity. Paul makes reference to the Holy Spirit (who makes us overseers of the Church) in Acts 20:28 as if the Holy Spirit were a distinct entity. This should make those who think otherwise think again.