Nontrinitarianism

Nontrinitarianism

Rancor
Rancor

July 27th, 2017, 7:46 pm #1

by Catherine Beyer
Updated February 06, 2017

Nontrinitarianism is a belief denouncing the traditional Christian view of divinity in which God is composed of a trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The term is generally used to describe Christian beliefs that deny the divinity of God, but the term is sometimes also used to describe Judaism and Islam because of their relationship with Christianity.
Judaism and Islam

The God of the Hebrews is universal and indivisible.

This is one of the reasons Jews never create images of God: the infinite cannot be expressed in a mere image. While the Jews do believe a Messiah will one day come, he will be an ordinary person, not a divinity like the Christian Jesus.

Muslims have a similar belief concerning the unity and infinity of God. They do believe in Jesus and even believe he will return in the end times, but once again he is considered a mere mortal, just like any other prophet, brought back entirely through the will of God, not through any power wielded by Jesus.
Biblical Reasons for Denying the Trinity

Nontrinitarians deny that the Bible ever states the existence of the trinity and feel certain passages contradict the idea. This includes that fact that Jesus always refers to God in the third person and states there are things that God knows and he does not, such as the date of the end times (Matthew 24:36).

Many arguments in favor of the trinity come from the Gospel of John, a highly theological and metaphysical book, unlike the other three gospels, which are primarily narrative.
Pagan Precursors of the Trinity

Some nontrinitarians believe the trinity was originally a pagan belief that was fused with Christianity via syncretism. However, the examples that are commonly given for pagan trinities simply don't equate. Groups such as Osiris, Iris, and Horus are a group of three gods, not three gods in one.

No one worshiped those gods as if they were ultimately only one being.
Nontrinitarian Groups in History

Throughout history, multiple nontrinitarian groups have developed. For many centuries, they were condemned as heretics by the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, and in places where they were a minority, they were often executed if they did not conform to the wider trinitarian view.

These include Arians, who followed the beliefs of Arius, who refused to accept the trinitarian view at the Council of Nicaea in 325. Millions of Christians remained Arians for centuries until Catholicism/Orthodoxy eventually prevailed.

Various gnostic groups, including the Cathars of the 12th century, were also anti-trinitarian, although they held numerous additional heretical views, including reincarnation.
Modern Non-Trinitarian Groups

Christian denominations today include Jehovah's Witnesses; Church of Christ, Scientist (i.e. Christian Science); New Thought, including Religious Science; Church of Latter Day Saints (i.e. Mormons); and Unitarians.
Who Is Jesus in a Non-Trinitarian View?

While nontrinitarianism states what Jesus isn't – one part of a triune god – there are many different views as to what he is. Today, the most common views are that he is mortal preacher or prophet who brought knowledge of God to humanity, or that he was a being created by God, reaching a level of perfection not found in humanity, but distinctly less than God.
Famous Nontrinitarians

Outside of those who founded non-trinitarian movements, the most well known non-trinitarian is probably Sir Isaac Newton. During his life, Newton often kept the details of such beliefs to himself, as it could potentially have brought him trouble in the late 17th century. Despite Newton's reservations on publicly discussing trinitarian matters, he still managed to compose more writings on various aspects of religion than he did on science.

I'm looking for y'all a Bible.

July 28th, 2017, 5:30 am #2

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]The title of Catherine's article is: "The Basics of Nontrinitarianism" at this link:

https://www.thoughtco.com/non-trinitari ... -god-95704

The site's claim (https://www.thoughtco.com/ ) is that: "ThoughtCo.com is the World's Largest Education Resource"

I would say that nontrinitarianism predates the invention of the pagan-based Trinity Creed (officially approved by the Council of Nicaea near the end of the 4th century). God's followers in the Old Testament era were Trinity-ignorant (did not believe in three-Gods-in-one or one-God-in-three).

The New Testament says nothing about "a triune god" nor of "the Son of God" being "one part of a triune god."

Let the discussion begin.[/color]

July 28th, 2017, 1:45 pm #3

Jesus said that those who claimed that He was or Claimed to be God were BLASPHEMING when over and over He said that He was the SON OF GOD. Once you have blasphemed it is A MARK that you cannot stop.

Deut. 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:
Deut. 6:5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Trinitarians call Moses a liar

Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him,
.....Why callest thou ME good?
.....there is none good but one, that is, God.

ME is not GOD.

Mark 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is,
.....Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is ONE Lord:
Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Mark 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Trinitarians call Jesus a liar
Mark 12:32 And the scribe said unto him, Well,
.....Master, thou hast said the truth:
.....for there is ONE God; and there is NONE OTHER but HE

Trinitarians call the Scribe a liar

1Tim. 2:5 For there is ONE GOD,
.....and one mediator between God and men,
.....the MAN Christ Jesus;

Trinitarians call Paul a liar

Last edited by Ken.Sublett on July 28th, 2017, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rancor
Rancor

July 28th, 2017, 2:42 pm #4

Ken, I am trying to find a Bible for you and Donnie boy. Run along and practice your BLASPHEMING. See you later.

BTW is that all the font you got?

July 28th, 2017, 6:28 pm #5

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Let's be thankful for HTML.

"FONT SIZE=4..." may be average;

"FONT SIZE=8..." may be for the visually impaired or comprehension-incapacitated.

"FONT SIZE=8 COLOR=RED..." [bolded] may be for the liberal/progressive/Democrat-leaning, doctrinally speaking.

Just a thought.

By the way, Rancor, I agree with you: let's rely on the Bible -- not the ever-changing, constantly-modified Roman Catholic Church Catechism and other man-made manuals and creeds.

Personally, I use the KJV Bible. I use mainly the KJV online for searches and easy copy-and-paste functions.
[/color]

[color=#FF0000" size="3" face="times]I would like to include in the expression "R.I.N.O." [Republican in Name Only; pronounced rhi·no /ˈrīnō/]. It should state:

........<b>"the liberal/progressive/Democrat-leaning/R.I.N.O., doctrinally speaking"
</b>[/color] [d.c.]
Last edited by Donnie.Cruz on July 28th, 2017, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 28th, 2017, 6:56 pm #6

by Catherine Beyer

Nontrinitarianism is a belief denouncing the traditional Christian view of divinity in which God is composed of a trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The term is generally used to describe Christian beliefs that deny the divinity of God, but the term is sometimes also used to describe Judaism and Islam because of their relationship with Christianity.
Judaism and Islam

This is one of the reasons Jews never create images of God: the infinite cannot be expressed in a mere image. While the Jews do believe a Messiah will one day come, he will be an ordinary person, not a divinity like the Christian Jesus.

Muslims have a similar belief concerning the unity and infinity of God. They do believe in Jesus and even believe he will return in the end times, but once again he is considered a mere mortal, just like any other prophet, brought back entirely through the will of God, not through any power wielded by Jesus.

Nontrinitarians deny that the Bible ever states the existence of the trinity and feel certain passages contradict the idea. This includes that fact that Jesus always refers to God in the third person and states there are things that God knows and he does not, such as the date of the end times (Matthew 24:36).

Many arguments in favor of the trinity come from the Gospel of John, a highly theological and metaphysical book, unlike the other three gospels, which are primarily narrative.

Some nontrinitarians believe the trinity was originally a pagan belief that was fused with Christianity via syncretism. However, the examples that are commonly given for pagan trinities simply don't equate. Groups such as Osiris, Iris, and Horus are a group of three gods, not three gods in one.

Throughout history, multiple nontrinitarian groups have developed. For many centuries, they were condemned as heretics by the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, and in places where they were a minority, they were often executed if they did not conform to the wider trinitarian view.

These include Arians, who followed the beliefs of Arius, who refused to accept the trinitarian view at the Council of Nicaea in 325. Millions of Christians remained Arians for centuries until Catholicism/Orthodoxy eventually prevailed.

Various gnostic groups, including the Cathars of the 12th century, were also anti-trinitarian, although they held numerous additional heretical views, including reincarnation.

Christian denominations today include Jehovah's Witnesses; Church of Christ, Scientist (i.e. Christian Science); New Thought, including Religious Science; Church of Latter Day Saints (i.e. Mormons); and Unitarians.

While nontrinitarianism states what Jesus isn't – one part of a triune god – there are many different views as to what he is. Today, the most common views are that he is mortal preacher or prophet who brought knowledge of God to humanity, or that he was a being created by God, reaching a level of perfection not found in humanity, but distinctly less than God.
Famous Nontrinitarians

Outside of those who founded non-trinitarian movements, the most well known non-trinitarian is probably Sir Isaac Newton. During his life, Newton often kept the details of such beliefs to himself, as it could potentially have brought him trouble in the late 17th century. Despite Newton's reservations on publicly discussing trinitarian matters, he still managed to compose more writings on various aspects of religion than he did on science.

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]There are almost countless references to (1) God and (2) Jesus Christ as being mutually exclusive, as well as not interchangeable. Without prejudice (with an open mind), let's begin with the following references (and there are many, many more) clearly indicating that "the Son of God" and "God the Father" are NOT co-Gods:

[/color]
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed. (John 6:27, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]But to us there is but one God, <u>the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. (I Cor. 8:6, KJV)</u>

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;) [Gal. 1:1, KJV]

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, (Gal. 1:3, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (Eph. 6:23, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Phil. 2:11, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. (I Thess. 1:1, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. (II Tim. 1:2, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour. (Titus 1:4, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. (I Peter 1:2, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. (II Peter 1:17, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love. (II John 1:3, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: (Jude 1:1, KJV)[/color]</li>

July 30th, 2017, 6:44 pm #7

by Catherine Beyer

Judaism and Islam

Famous Nontrinitarians

July 30th, 2017, 7:02 pm #8

by Catherine Beyer

Judaism and Islam

Famous Nontrinitarians

Nontrinitarianism is a belief denouncing the traditional Christian view of divinity in which God is composed of a trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

My posted thesis is that H. Leo Boles then of the Gospel Advocate and Lipscomb College is the first person in recorded history to define God as "three separated PERSONS each with their own centers of consciousness and each with their own talent and ranked 1, 2, 3.

John wrote several decades after Christ and corrected many of the Jewish and Gnostic views troubling the church. In many ways John has Jesus calling those who claimed that He was God or equal to God blasphemers. Now, I know that "Scripture never says 'though shalt not be a blasphemer."

Afterward Theophilus wrote of the Greek TRIAS to refute the always-pagan view in families of gods consisting with father, mother (spirit) and little impotent son who needed his mother as MEDIATRIX.

<font face="arial" size="4">There is a MAJOR INDUSTRY controlling once-Christian Bible colleges and workshops or CHURCH COUNCILS denying that God commands inclusively and exclusively. Both pagan polytheism and musical performance to enable the claim that A spirit is guiding them. This is based on the tripple goddesses.
</font>

Bill
Bill

July 30th, 2017, 8:07 pm #9

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]There are almost countless references to (1) God and (2) Jesus Christ as being mutually exclusive, as well as not interchangeable. Without prejudice (with an open mind), let's begin with the following references (and there are many, many more) clearly indicating that "the Son of God" and "God the Father" are NOT co-Gods:

[/color]
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed. (John 6:27, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]But to us there is but one God, <u>the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. (I Cor. 8:6, KJV)</u>

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;) [Gal. 1:1, KJV]

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, (Gal. 1:3, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (Eph. 6:23, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Phil. 2:11, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. (I Thess. 1:1, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. (II Tim. 1:2, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour. (Titus 1:4, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. (I Peter 1:2, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. (II Peter 1:17, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love. (II John 1:3, KJV)

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#FF0000" size="4" face="times]Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: (Jude 1:1, KJV)[/color]</li>
The denominationalists look at all the many New Testament verses that mention faith for salvation but that say nothing about baptism in the same verses and conclude that baptism is not essential for salvation. The denominationalists conveniently overlook those few verses that mention the necessity of baptism for salvation and remission of sins (e.g., Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, 1 Peter 3:21). Since faith verses outnumber baptism verses, denominationalists erroneously conclude that, because "the majority rules," then faith, but not baptism, is necessary for salvation.

Likewise, some members of the church of Christ look at all the many NT verses that mention God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ and conclude that the two are mutually exclusive. Those people conveniently overlook the several verses that tell us God and Jesus are One and the same Entity (e.g., Word was with God, Word was God, Word became flesh [i.e. Jesus]; I and my Father are One; He who hath seen Me hath seen the Father; mighty God, everlasting Father, Prince of Peace; Emmanuel, God with us). Since verses implying that "God and Jesus are separate" outnumber verses implying that "Jesus is God," some CofC members erroneously conclude that, because "the majority rules," then Jesus is not God.

When you consider the whole picture, you realize that faith AND baptism are required for salvation, just as God AND Jesus exist together, not as two separate Divine Beings but as ONE Divine Being with simultaneous manifestations.

July 30th, 2017, 8:19 pm #10

Nontrinitarianism is a belief denouncing the traditional Christian view of divinity in which God is composed of a trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

My posted thesis is that H. Leo Boles then of the Gospel Advocate and Lipscomb College is the first person in recorded history to define God as "three separated PERSONS each with their own centers of consciousness and each with their own talent and ranked 1, 2, 3.

John wrote several decades after Christ and corrected many of the Jewish and Gnostic views troubling the church. In many ways John has Jesus calling those who claimed that He was God or equal to God blasphemers. Now, I know that "Scripture never says 'though shalt not be a blasphemer."

Afterward Theophilus wrote of the Greek TRIAS to refute the always-pagan view in families of gods consisting with father, mother (spirit) and little impotent son who needed his mother as MEDIATRIX.

<font face="arial" size="4">There is a MAJOR INDUSTRY controlling once-Christian Bible colleges and workshops or CHURCH COUNCILS denying that God commands inclusively and exclusively. Both pagan polytheism and musical performance to enable the claim that A spirit is guiding them. This is based on the tripple goddesses.
</font>
Catherine's article in the initial post: "The God of the Hebrews is universal and indivisible."

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Question: Since the Trinitarian dogma states that Jesus is God, was Jesus the God of the Hebrews? If so, then prove it.

I wonder often about the numbering system employed in the Trinity personages: First Person: God the Father; Second Person: God the Son; Third Person: God the Holy Spirit. Is this ordering system based on "age" (chronologically)? Or of importance (attributes)? Why was Jesus not the "First Person"; etc.? [/color]