GARDENDALE BAPTIST CHURCH, Corpus Christi, Texas

GARDENDALE BAPTIST CHURCH, Corpus Christi, Texas

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 29th, 2004, 1:37 pm #1

This webpage shows the ungodly act at GARDENDALE BAPTIST CHURCH Corpus Christi, Texas on 7/18/2004. By the time you read this page more members will have followed the ousted Christians.

"Members of Gardendale Baptist Church voted Sunday to expel about 165 members from their congregation because they did not support the leadership of the church's pastor, according to a church spokesman and several ousted members."

http://home.stx.rr.com/gardendalecctx/gardendale.html

Tom Brite
Tom Brite

July 29th, 2004, 2:41 pm #2

As long time readers of this site will know, I have much more often than not found myself in disagreement with Ken and Donnie and those of their persuasion. However, this letter from the "pastor" is unbelievable. I have never seen anything so arrogant or prideful.

This draws a clear distinction between the biblical use of the term "pastor" which is always a plurality of men who lead the church and the Baptist term of "pastor" which is a single man who has been appointed to lead the church.

How can a man who claims to be a believer and undertakes the role of leading the flock act in such a bold (and ungodly) manner which will surely lead to many of those 160 souls loosing their faith?

Tom

Kenneth Sublett
Kenneth Sublett

July 29th, 2004, 4:02 pm #3

This webpage shows the ungodly act at GARDENDALE BAPTIST CHURCH Corpus Christi, Texas on 7/18/2004. By the time you read this page more members will have followed the ousted Christians.

"Members of Gardendale Baptist Church voted Sunday to expel about 165 members from their congregation because they did not support the leadership of the church's pastor, according to a church spokesman and several ousted members."

I am surprized that people cannot grasp that it was the OLDEN Jesus who said that LEADERS are SERVANTS or slaves. A shepherd does not call his lambs into a corporate meeting: he leads them OUT to find still waters and tall grass. It was prophesied that Jesus would not CALL MEETINGS but call people OUT because Shepherds can only be found "outside the City." EK as in ekklesia (synagogue) DOES NOT mean call them INTO a ritual: it means to CALL THEM OUT where the twos or threes are CALLED to REST and "learn of ME" and ME is not the sheep misleader.

The new Jesus (aka pastor) has expounded it this a way (I stole it along with everything I know):
  • If you LOVE them, turn them loose and let them REST from "forced" TITHING and rituals which produce "spiritual anxiety." Rest just means that if you can see it or smell it or hear it or feel it JUST STOP IT (the Greek Pauo)

If they come under SPIRITUAL DOMINION (child of God molesters) then you have gained a TAX PAYER to be oppressed with LOUD and to give sexual stimulation to the dominant "pastor" and "singers."

If they DO NOT return then CHASE THEM DOWN and kill them" and the REST will get the message.
If a "man" has to force people to follow his "lead" then the blind are following the blind. Please don't GATHER these people into a new CHURCH (aka Circe the holy whore) but think of forming an ekklesian or Synagogue of Christ which has THE WORD as the only thing it SEEKS as a way to learn of Christ. Don't DO music as the end time LOCUSTS. Eat the Lord's Supper and learn the METRICAL, INSPIRED TEXT and God will bless you. Let a rich man rent a building if you need it and DON'T TAKE UP A COLLECTION unless those who have PROSPERED during the week give to the DESTITUTE.

Christ will bless you and many of you can throw away your Prozac (aboout 26%). Christ will shortly tear down the temples of doom.

Ken Sublett

amber
amber

July 30th, 2004, 2:42 am #4

As long time readers of this site will know, I have much more often than not found myself in disagreement with Ken and Donnie and those of their persuasion. However, this letter from the "pastor" is unbelievable. I have never seen anything so arrogant or prideful.

This draws a clear distinction between the biblical use of the term "pastor" which is always a plurality of men who lead the church and the Baptist term of "pastor" which is a single man who has been appointed to lead the church.

How can a man who claims to be a believer and undertakes the role of leading the flock act in such a bold (and ungodly) manner which will surely lead to many of those 160 souls loosing their faith?

Tom
I think people need to get their stories straight before they start talking. Our Pastor is a wonderful man and all of the votes that were for him proves this.
amber

Tom Brite
Tom Brite

July 30th, 2004, 2:35 pm #5

Amber, the only information that I needed to write my response was the letter that came above your "Pastor's" signature. Unless the letter was fraudulant, then I stand by my opinion.

Ken is right (and it pains me to say that ) that pastors are to be servant leaders. They are to LEAD all of the flock by SERVING ALL of the flock, not just those who may agree with them on all issues. Please show me where the Bible authorizes a vote up or down on your support for the "Pastor" with the result being that if your side "looses" the election, you are AUTOMATICALLY removed from the membership roles of the congregation. I would actually like to know if this is the first time this has happened in a congregation, be it Baptist, Church of Christ or any other fellowship.

What do you say to all of the people who have been a member of your church of 30 or 40 years that suddenly find themselves booted from the membership roles?

Oh, sorry about that?
Maybe you can find some place else to worship?
Thanks for your contributions all these years, hope you got more to give to your next church.
Hope that you do not get so discouraged that you just give up going to church altogether.

As I mentioned in my first post, I generally do not agree with the more "traditional" side of church politics. However, elders or pastors who lead their congregation through change can and must do it in a loving environment, teaching the congregation and justifying to the congregation in a biblical and gentle way as the process takes place. I believe this is possible without dividing a congregation. But this "Pastor" has blown all of this away and I am sure has done irreparable damage to many of those who were automatically booted from the membership role (and I would assume fellowship from the remainder of the congregation.)

Tom Brite

Jeff
Jeff

July 31st, 2004, 10:07 am #6

I think people need to get their stories straight before they start talking. Our Pastor is a wonderful man and all of the votes that were for him proves this.
amber
Amber, Why do you call this rumors? Was the letter Micah Davidson sent out with church money rumors? No! You know and I know what he's up to. He can't stand to be proven wrong by anyone. Also show me in the bible where is says just because someone is perceived to be nice that they are good. The reason everyone voted for him to lead the church is because they were intimidated by all the video cameras aimed at them during the open vote (showing of hands). He knew that would humiliate the opposition. Now his..I mean Gardendale Baptist Church is the laughing stock of Christianity. I never in my lifetime thought that would happen. It's ironic how he met with members the week after this incident took place to discuss the vote from the Sunday before. Not only is he ungodly, he is a coward. My opinion. If he thinks he didn't do anything wrong, he really needs help. All I do is keep praying that he doesn't do anymore damage to the name of God and Jesus. And as far as Deacon Jimmy Dodson calling it all a bad divorce. I was always taught as a Christian, there is no such thing as a divorce..Check marrage vows. You are married to your spouse and Jesus for life..I suggest everyone pray for Micah Davidson. Jesus will forgive anyone and everyone..

Concerned Member Jeff
Concerned Member Jeff

July 31st, 2004, 11:00 am #7

I found this on the internet. Here's what some people feel about his Micah Davidson's Leadership.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004
church politics stink II

I was floored to read this in today’s Corpus Christi paper. (Free registration required.) In one large Baptist church, if you don’t think the pastor is Moses incarnate, you’re outta there:

Members of Gardendale Baptist Church voted Sunday to expel about 165 members from their congregation because they did not support the leadership of the church's pastor, according to a church spokesman and several ousted members.

In a letter to the congregation, Micah Davidson, the church's pastor, called a business meeting after a July 18 baptismal service at which members would vote on the following statement: "Pastor Micah is the God-called pastor for Gardendale and is leading us in God's direction or not."

Davidson also stated in the letter that he would leave immediately if the church voted against him.

"If the church votes for me to stay," he wrote, "those who vote against me will be removed from membership in the family immediately."

The vote was about 750 to 165 in favor of the pastor, according to John Gilbert, administrative pastor of the church. Immediately after the vote of confidence, members voted to revoke the memberships of those who voted against Davidson. Gilbert said that of the 165 members who were "removed from membership," all could come back to church if they "signed a covenant for church unity."

I would have voted against the pastor simply because he called such a vote, even if that did mean I was kicked out of the church.

Apparently, there’s a cult of personality thing going on here. If memory serves me right, this is the church that has a big billboard on the main drag in Corpus featuring – you guessed it – the pastor and his wife. Yes, I know (too many) other churches do that. It still sets off alarm bells for me.

Whatever you think of congregational government (I think it stinks.), the problem with some U. S. Baptist churches is that they are really dictatorships of the pastor. Even those that are not are often far too pastor-centered.

But this is over-the-top even by Baptist standards. That a man would exercise such raw power to consolidate his personal position and cast out those who disagree automatically disqualifies him from leadership.

By the way, in case you haven’t noticed, that’s one of my criteria for a church – the leadership must not be power-hungry control freaks.

(And sorry if I’m beating up on Baptists a bit here. You may have noticed I think most churches across the denominational spectrum botch how they handle authority.)

UPDATE: Here's a follow-up story.

// posted by Mark @ 9:24 AM

Jeff Peterson
Jeff Peterson

July 31st, 2004, 11:38 pm #8

These are from the local paper...Look what the community thinks now....
Old vs. new
As a church member of another Baptist church, I disagreed
with a decision that was made by my church, and left that
church of my own volition. I can understand a person or a
group of persons taking that action. What I do not
understand is a leader of the church making that decision
for 165 members.
This is supposed to be a House of God, not a political
playground. Could the solution have been as simple as
having a traditional service on Wednesday and Sunday
nights?
It seems that a great number of the members voted out were
older members. Who made this church what it was when some
of the current members were not yet born? I am so deeply
disappointed in the unloving and seemingly political move
by the supposed leadership of this Baptist church that we
will be visiting other denominations of churches.
If I am going to follow a Christian leader, I think that I
want to be sure he is on the right path to Heaven. I am
positive that I can find the other path without any help.
No, I am not painting all Baptists with the same
paintbrush. I know many loving, working, generous Christian
Baptists. Shame on you supposed leaders of Gardendale
Baptist Church for causing me to judge you. You have now
caused me to be judged also.
Zelma Champion
All lose
I have been reading of all the happenings at Gardendale
Baptist Church. If any of them think they are winners, they
are wrong - everyone is a loser.
As I follow the recent happenings in the Baptist and
Catholic churches, what a shame. It's OK for them to be
losers, but they have hurt the Gospel of Christ and that is
not acceptable. Shame on them.
Kenneth Wilson
(Ingleside)
Unfair expulsion
I would like to thank the Caller-Times for your article
(July 20) about the expulsion of 165 members of the
Gardendale Baptist Church.
On the whole, your article was balanced and reflected the
division accurately. One group (the one that was expelled)
requested procedural oversight of budgetary decisions. The
other group saw those requests as somehow hindering the
church's mission.
However, your article omitted several important points.
First, the vote to expel the 165 members was taken without
debate. That is, the expelled members had no chance to
present a defense or make a statement on their own behalf.
Second, members were given only one week's notice of the
vote. Third, no formal charges detailing specific
violations of church doctrine were filed against the
accused.
The lesson here for anyone who belongs to any organization
is to make sure that specific written procedures are included in the bylaws for expulsion of members. These
procedures should include basic protections for the
accused.
It is a sad witness for a church when it denies its own
members the basic human dignity of defending oneself.
Michael A. Piatt
Top-down rule?
I was appalled and amazed at the article in Tuesday's paper
(July 20) about the ousting of 165 members of Gardendale
church. I assume that since the church no longer uses the
word "Baptist" in its name it is no longer affiliated with
the Southern Baptist Convention or any other of the
established Baptist conventions.
I did some research on what amounts to the "shunning" of
this many members at one time. Most religions have a method
by which individual members may be removed. The Catholics
have excommunication, the Scientologists have
"disconnection," Jehovah's Witnesses use the word
"disfellowship," Judaism has "Cherem" and the Mormons, the
Amish and Quakers refer to the removal as "shunning." In
none of these cases are 165 people "shunned" at one time.
Nowhere in the Baptist Church is there a provision for
removing members of the congregation: once a member, always
a member; once a deacon, always a deacon. Not only the
minister, but also a board of congregants oversees church
business.
It would appear that the Gardendale Church is now run by an
autonomous minister, answerable to no one. Disagree and
you're gone. Sounds like a dictatorship to me.
Ann C. Couser
Church cleaning
I am not sure why the Caller-Times has chosen to hang out
to dry the dirty laundry of one good church, but chosen you
have, and equal time you must give to all.
There are oxymorons and then there are oxymorons. A couple
that I'm reminded of are "good loser" and "religious tolerance."
When I think of this last one and read your comments about
Gardendale Baptist Church, I feel there must have been a
mistake. Writer Venessa Santos-Garza must have missed the
point and not interviewed everyone. At least she didn't
talk to me or others who have been all but forced to leave
because of the actions and/or lack of church leadership.
You see, I was once a member of Gardendale. When it came
time for church discipline back when I was all but forced
to leave my church family behind, where were the chosen 165
then? No one asked to help me stay.
So, in all that I've read that the Caller-Times has printed
these past few days, the biggest oxymoron of all that has
been a big part of Gardendale: "friend against friend."
Power to you, Brother Micah. May bygones be bygones. You're
not the only one who has cleaned house. And the Lord knows
who should stay and who should go. Get on with being a
church. Help those who want to be helped. Continue to pray
for those who would dissent.
Jim Robbins
Last edited by ConcernedMembers on August 1st, 2004, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

One of "The Group"
One of "The Group"

August 2nd, 2004, 1:50 pm #9

amber
But, this did affect me directly. We did ask him many times if these "homegroups" were eventually going to take the place of Sunday Night Service> And he lied to us with that "very nice smile" and said no. That same very nice guy treated the mostly elderly congrgation that assembled one Sunday night on their own (who with or without a pastor were going to meet and pray for one another and share testimonies of God's grace)with great disrespect and used the pulpit as a place from which to hurl anger and bitterness thinly disguised with scripture. Precious Holy Words were mixed with a long nasty story about his daughters excriment. We have seen those sweet blue eyes of his well up with haughtiness and declare "I Will Not Preach on Sunday Night!!" Apalling! That is some of what I have seen(not gossip!)of the very nice man who made some bad choices in caring for the beautiful loving flock God gave to him

Another of "the group"
Another of "the group"

August 2nd, 2004, 10:25 pm #10

These are from the local paper...Look what the community thinks now....
Old vs. new
As a church member of another Baptist church, I disagreed
with a decision that was made by my church, and left that
church of my own volition. I can understand a person or a
group of persons taking that action. What I do not
understand is a leader of the church making that decision
for 165 members.
This is supposed to be a House of God, not a political
playground. Could the solution have been as simple as
having a traditional service on Wednesday and Sunday
nights?
It seems that a great number of the members voted out were
older members. Who made this church what it was when some
of the current members were not yet born? I am so deeply
disappointed in the unloving and seemingly political move
by the supposed leadership of this Baptist church that we
will be visiting other denominations of churches.
If I am going to follow a Christian leader, I think that I
want to be sure he is on the right path to Heaven. I am
positive that I can find the other path without any help.
No, I am not painting all Baptists with the same
paintbrush. I know many loving, working, generous Christian
Baptists. Shame on you supposed leaders of Gardendale
Baptist Church for causing me to judge you. You have now
caused me to be judged also.
Zelma Champion
All lose
I have been reading of all the happenings at Gardendale
Baptist Church. If any of them think they are winners, they
are wrong - everyone is a loser.
As I follow the recent happenings in the Baptist and
Catholic churches, what a shame. It's OK for them to be
losers, but they have hurt the Gospel of Christ and that is
not acceptable. Shame on them.
Kenneth Wilson
(Ingleside)
Unfair expulsion
I would like to thank the Caller-Times for your article
(July 20) about the expulsion of 165 members of the
Gardendale Baptist Church.
On the whole, your article was balanced and reflected the
division accurately. One group (the one that was expelled)
requested procedural oversight of budgetary decisions. The
other group saw those requests as somehow hindering the
church's mission.
However, your article omitted several important points.
First, the vote to expel the 165 members was taken without
debate. That is, the expelled members had no chance to
present a defense or make a statement on their own behalf.
Second, members were given only one week's notice of the
vote. Third, no formal charges detailing specific
violations of church doctrine were filed against the
accused.
The lesson here for anyone who belongs to any organization
is to make sure that specific written procedures are included in the bylaws for expulsion of members. These
procedures should include basic protections for the
accused.
It is a sad witness for a church when it denies its own
members the basic human dignity of defending oneself.
Michael A. Piatt
Top-down rule?
I was appalled and amazed at the article in Tuesday's paper
(July 20) about the ousting of 165 members of Gardendale
church. I assume that since the church no longer uses the
word "Baptist" in its name it is no longer affiliated with
the Southern Baptist Convention or any other of the
established Baptist conventions.
I did some research on what amounts to the "shunning" of
this many members at one time. Most religions have a method
by which individual members may be removed. The Catholics
have excommunication, the Scientologists have
"disconnection," Jehovah's Witnesses use the word
"disfellowship," Judaism has "Cherem" and the Mormons, the
Amish and Quakers refer to the removal as "shunning." In
none of these cases are 165 people "shunned" at one time.
Nowhere in the Baptist Church is there a provision for
removing members of the congregation: once a member, always
a member; once a deacon, always a deacon. Not only the
minister, but also a board of congregants oversees church
business.
It would appear that the Gardendale Church is now run by an
autonomous minister, answerable to no one. Disagree and
you're gone. Sounds like a dictatorship to me.
Ann C. Couser
Church cleaning
I am not sure why the Caller-Times has chosen to hang out
to dry the dirty laundry of one good church, but chosen you
have, and equal time you must give to all.
There are oxymorons and then there are oxymorons. A couple
that I'm reminded of are "good loser" and "religious tolerance."
When I think of this last one and read your comments about
Gardendale Baptist Church, I feel there must have been a
mistake. Writer Venessa Santos-Garza must have missed the
point and not interviewed everyone. At least she didn't
talk to me or others who have been all but forced to leave
because of the actions and/or lack of church leadership.
You see, I was once a member of Gardendale. When it came
time for church discipline back when I was all but forced
to leave my church family behind, where were the chosen 165
then? No one asked to help me stay.
So, in all that I've read that the Caller-Times has printed
these past few days, the biggest oxymoron of all that has
been a big part of Gardendale: "friend against friend."
Power to you, Brother Micah. May bygones be bygones. You're
not the only one who has cleaned house. And the Lord knows
who should stay and who should go. Get on with being a
church. Help those who want to be helped. Continue to pray
for those who would dissent.
Jim Robbins
Mr. Robbins, Believe me , Micah does not need any more cheerleaders in his corner. Besides the 750 who voted with him, there were many more in attendance. Mostly youth o and others who are not even members of our church.They chanted and cheered and were quite irreverent during this very important time. Micah himself in a bold action of disregard to the Holiness of our God planned this meeting to follow the Baptism service. Where is the Godliness in that thought. It was a blatant manipulation of the flock. By his own hand he turned the flock one upon the other and then washed his hands of this misdeed as the ousted prayed for the mass of jeering congregants, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." I am very sorry that your experience has left you bitter enough to side with this man who DID KNOW AND PLAN to serve and follow RICK WARREN instead of our Holy Lord who teaches to love and reconcile.