rearend gears

rearend gears

Larry McKay
Larry McKay

May 25th, 2001, 5:15 pm #1

I decided to investigate dropping the overall gearing on my Shay (1/80 production date). Here's what I found out:

My rearend has a fairly square cover with 8 bolts, 2 per side. The tag reads "WGF AN 9F03 08 6 7 S206B" (Gary Woods ought to love that!). I found a place with a magic rearend tag decoder ring; the tag states it is a Ford 6 3/4" rearend with 3.08 ratio. (the "08" sez 3.08, the "6 7" sez 6 3/4 in.) This is a non-positraction 4 cyl Pinto rearend. Pintos went end-of-life after 1980, and the think the 6 3/4" rearend died with them, so newer Shays might already have the 7 1/2" rearend??? I'd be curious to know if other Shays have this same rearend, so please lemme know.

It seems new ring & pinion gearsets are not available in any ratio for the 6 3/4" Ford rearend. I checked with 2 of the biggest differential places on the left coast, and checked around for an obsolete parts source; no luck. Anyone know of a source?

Why change it? A Ford Pinto used 13" rims, with tires having a diameter around 23". The Shay has 18" spoke rims, and my BFG 5.50x18's have a diameter around 29". This is a huge change in overall gearing; on a Pinto with 13" tires, changing the rearend from 3.08 to 2.44 would accomplish the same thing. At 5000 RPM in 4th gear, it bumps top speed from 111 up to 140 MPH!! At 3000 RPM in 4th, it increases cruise speed from 67 to 84 MPH, rendering 4th gear nearly useless on the Shay. To get a Shay with it's 29" tires back to stock Pinto gearing would take changing the gears to 3.88. A Pinto was geared to run at pretty high speed compared to what most folks use their Shays for, so I could see dropping it lower, to say 4.11 or even lower. Ought to add some real snap through the gears, make 4th useful, and make it easier to creep along in 1st in parades.

From what I learned, Pinto (6 3/4") rearends were supplied in ratios down to 3.55 at one time or another, so a guy might find a used Pinto rearend with 3.55 gears, or a used 3.55 gearset, which would help a lot. I'd guess early Pintos with the 1.6 liter 4 cyl might have used them? Another way to go would be to swap out the whole rearend to a 7 1/2" Ford rearend, as used in a lot of Ford models (Fairmont, Granada, 80's 4 bolt wheel Mustangs, etc.). You can get any ratio you want for one of these. They come in different overall lengths, and I haven't done the research to learn which model Ford had what length, or if any would match the width of the Shay. They can always be narrowed for some amount of money....

So gearing down the Shay isn't exactly a no-brainer, but I guess if you want to bad enough, you can. On the other hand, it gets by OK as is.....

A 4 bolt hub 7 1/2" rearend is also a lot stronger and would be very suitable if you happened to drop in a T-bird Turbo Coupe or SVO Mustang motor to rip the spokes out of your wheels with.....

Gary Wood
Gary Wood

May 25th, 2001, 8:35 pm #2

Alright!!! love the numbers!!! BUT I REALLY LIKE THE 140 MPH!!! let me at them......smile.....Gary

John Morris
John Morris

May 26th, 2001, 1:13 am #3

I decided to investigate dropping the overall gearing on my Shay (1/80 production date). Here's what I found out:

My rearend has a fairly square cover with 8 bolts, 2 per side. The tag reads "WGF AN 9F03 08 6 7 S206B" (Gary Woods ought to love that!). I found a place with a magic rearend tag decoder ring; the tag states it is a Ford 6 3/4" rearend with 3.08 ratio. (the "08" sez 3.08, the "6 7" sez 6 3/4 in.) This is a non-positraction 4 cyl Pinto rearend. Pintos went end-of-life after 1980, and the think the 6 3/4" rearend died with them, so newer Shays might already have the 7 1/2" rearend??? I'd be curious to know if other Shays have this same rearend, so please lemme know.

It seems new ring & pinion gearsets are not available in any ratio for the 6 3/4" Ford rearend. I checked with 2 of the biggest differential places on the left coast, and checked around for an obsolete parts source; no luck. Anyone know of a source?

Why change it? A Ford Pinto used 13" rims, with tires having a diameter around 23". The Shay has 18" spoke rims, and my BFG 5.50x18's have a diameter around 29". This is a huge change in overall gearing; on a Pinto with 13" tires, changing the rearend from 3.08 to 2.44 would accomplish the same thing. At 5000 RPM in 4th gear, it bumps top speed from 111 up to 140 MPH!! At 3000 RPM in 4th, it increases cruise speed from 67 to 84 MPH, rendering 4th gear nearly useless on the Shay. To get a Shay with it's 29" tires back to stock Pinto gearing would take changing the gears to 3.88. A Pinto was geared to run at pretty high speed compared to what most folks use their Shays for, so I could see dropping it lower, to say 4.11 or even lower. Ought to add some real snap through the gears, make 4th useful, and make it easier to creep along in 1st in parades.

From what I learned, Pinto (6 3/4") rearends were supplied in ratios down to 3.55 at one time or another, so a guy might find a used Pinto rearend with 3.55 gears, or a used 3.55 gearset, which would help a lot. I'd guess early Pintos with the 1.6 liter 4 cyl might have used them? Another way to go would be to swap out the whole rearend to a 7 1/2" Ford rearend, as used in a lot of Ford models (Fairmont, Granada, 80's 4 bolt wheel Mustangs, etc.). You can get any ratio you want for one of these. They come in different overall lengths, and I haven't done the research to learn which model Ford had what length, or if any would match the width of the Shay. They can always be narrowed for some amount of money....

So gearing down the Shay isn't exactly a no-brainer, but I guess if you want to bad enough, you can. On the other hand, it gets by OK as is.....

A 4 bolt hub 7 1/2" rearend is also a lot stronger and would be very suitable if you happened to drop in a T-bird Turbo Coupe or SVO Mustang motor to rip the spokes out of your wheels with.....
Super analysis Larry.
I have a roadster pickup (mfg. 10/80). The present rearend is as you describe and the numbers are: WFG AN 0F30 3 08 6 7 S206B.
I too think it is geared way too tall. While I hate to give up the 140 mph potential (holy smoke!), I think it should be designed for something like 3000 rpm at 60 mph. This means a 4.3 to 1 rear end.
I did have a 1956 Mercedes with nearly the same tire diameters and a 4.8 to 1 rearend and small block Chevrolet engine. It was a little buzzy on the freeway but worked fine. I'm scared to go on the freeway with the Shay (Los Angeles area).
This is a long winded response to say good job and I think 4.3 and up is good.

John Morris

Gilles Bachand
Gilles Bachand

May 28th, 2001, 5:01 pm #4

Yes, it sure is a great analysis of one of the Shay's biggest mechanical shortcomings. I had come to such a conclusion a while back but could not find any easy answer.

Here is the URL of the best Pinto Discussion Forum:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinto/

I believe it would be the best place to ask about alternative rear end ratios. If anyone gets new info from it, please post your finfings in our own Forum. It surely is of universal interest to Shay owners. Thanks.

bwatson
bwatson

May 29th, 2001, 3:47 pm #5

Larry, I think you have touched on a much thought about subject. I have always wondered why the Pinto my buddy had in high school had so much more pep in the higher gears.

As for now, I still consider my Shay to be a 3 speed...

Bobby W.

Delwin
Delwin

May 31st, 2001, 2:31 am #6

I found a rear end from an older Pinto ('73 I think) that was a 3:40 ratio that I put in my 85 Camelot. It helped some, the most noticable being that it only goes about 60 mph in reverse instead of 75! I have not changed the speedo gears yet or even checked it for calibration. It was not a hard swap, the worst part of it being having to cut off the mounts and moving them in, just like it showed on the Modern A manual Gilles posted.

Joe Britt
Joe Britt

October 4th, 2006, 3:55 am #7

I just purchased a 1929 Deluxe model a

It was built in 1984 - sitting in a heated garage in Anchorage AK for 22 years.

Has 5200 miles on it. I have tried to find any information or someone who msy have a Camolot model A but no luck so far.
The car is complete with side curtains and all.
The front of the radiator shell reads Model A Roadster

Where can I find info on the car? It has a Ford Fairmont engine.

thanks

October 4th, 2006, 4:00 am #8

I just purchased a 1929 Deluxe model a

It was built in 1984 - sitting in a heated garage in Anchorage AK for 22 years.

Has 5200 miles on it. I have tried to find any information or someone who msy have a Camolot model A but no luck so far.
The car is complete with side curtains and all.
The front of the radiator shell reads Model A Roadster

Where can I find info on the car? It has a Ford Fairmont engine.

thanks

January 27th, 2015, 3:32 am #9

what I have learned is if you want to increase your speed in 4th gear 2.73:1 is the answer. Any higher than 3.08 is going to reduce your top end. My 3.08 rearend has quite a struggle maintaining 60-65.

mikec
mikec

January 27th, 2015, 8:14 pm #10

joe britt: ...the camelot is almost an exact duplicate of the shay....your engine is just a carry-over 2.3, almost identical to the shays...fairmont / mustang / pinto ....pretty much identical other than possible emission control part changes....now, the one thing i question in the camelots over the shays is the rear axle and trans...simply because the pinto was long gone by then.

so, what trans and axle assy were used in the camelot ?

mike