The new site's use of the Imperial War flag

The new site's use of the Imperial War flag

April 3rd, 2010, 4:42 pm #1

Did the new site's use of the Japanese Imperial War flag jump out at any one else?

April 3rd, 2010, 5:35 pm #2

discussion on the new site.

http://www.pmwf.com/Phorum/read.php?4,1 ... msg-193548

Without getting into a whole political debate, one could argue that "other" countries have flown unadulterated flags during times of conflict. Bear in mind this is an international forum, so if there are some sensitivities that need to be addressed, we will do so.

Russ

April 3rd, 2010, 6:03 pm #3

Just giving a heads up, to make sure that it wasn't an oversight.
I would be sort of surprised if Seiko / Citizen corporate did not send an email.
It is a historical thing, I can look at it that way.
If it does cause sensitivities you could always consider switching to the curent Navy Ensign which is slightly off center.

All the politics aside, from a TKTM's purely aesthetic view, Hokusai fractal wave would be better offset by using the red rubber ball for the sun

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

April 3rd, 2010, 6:33 pm #4

nt

Russ

April 3rd, 2010, 7:46 pm #5

discussion on the new site.

http://www.pmwf.com/Phorum/read.php?4,1 ... msg-193548

Without getting into a whole political debate, one could argue that "other" countries have flown unadulterated flags during times of conflict. Bear in mind this is an international forum, so if there are some sensitivities that need to be addressed, we will do so.

Russ
images, I did run across the history of the Japanese flag color and design and read/saw the various wartime designs. To me, a 61 year old Chinese Canadian who now lives in Japan, I doubt very much if any of the SCWF members ever knew that the Rising Sun used in the header was Japan's Naval flag.

Heck, most members who have used the word 'Jap watch...for sale' have no idea of its wartime derogatory origins! Isthmus had spotted this once and had asked posters to be a bit more mindful in the future and sensitive to SCWF's international viewers.

My 53 year old Japanese wife has no idea of the word JAP's overseas wartime meaning! hahaha! (of course, those Japanese Canadian and American citizens interred in POW camps would).
Still, I think it is a 'Non-issue'.

April 3rd, 2010, 8:13 pm #6

Im a huge history buff. I love all that stuff

April 3rd, 2010, 8:30 pm #7

for instance, I once saw the 'reverse Swatika image' on the frieze of an old Buddhist temple/shrine and that turned my head! I am a German Major from a Canadian university, and lover of old war movies and have studied world religions. Hitler (or whoever had chosen the Swatiska image) reversed the original ancient Sanskrit image and thus, the religious 'Hakenkreuz' of Nazi Germany was not the original one!

April 3rd, 2010, 8:33 pm #8

images, I did run across the history of the Japanese flag color and design and read/saw the various wartime designs. To me, a 61 year old Chinese Canadian who now lives in Japan, I doubt very much if any of the SCWF members ever knew that the Rising Sun used in the header was Japan's Naval flag.

Heck, most members who have used the word 'Jap watch...for sale' have no idea of its wartime derogatory origins! Isthmus had spotted this once and had asked posters to be a bit more mindful in the future and sensitive to SCWF's international viewers.

My 53 year old Japanese wife has no idea of the word JAP's overseas wartime meaning! hahaha! (of course, those Japanese Canadian and American citizens interred in POW camps would).
Still, I think it is a 'Non-issue'.
called WWII vets who served in the Pacific theatre, I could understand that flag image might reasonably bring back unpleasant memories. But then you can't please (or fool) "all of the people all of the time". JMHO.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." -- Lou Holtz

April 3rd, 2010, 9:11 pm #9

for obvious reasons IMO....but the West does in for instance Remembrance Day..'Lest We Forget'...
Generations come and go...

April 3rd, 2010, 10:28 pm #10

Did the new site's use of the Japanese Imperial War flag jump out at any one else?

I'm done with the forum. I saw what the Japanese did to their Chinese, Filipino, and American POW's. Take a look at the pictures, read the history. The raped women, the starved, tortured, and beheaded POWs. And Japan has yet to acknowledge it's war crimes. Have fun with your watches.