My 2 year old OS 300 is running at...

My 2 year old OS 300 is running at...

April 1st, 2010, 9:50 am #1

-9 seconds/day...it bugs me a bit that a watch runs slow...would you open it and regulate it? I know I am capable of doing that..but do you think it's waterproofness would in anyway be compromised (I can do a vacuum pressure test) and worse yet do you think that air high in moisture (high humidity in Malta) might be closed in the case...?

What do you think should I resist the temptation ..?

When men build lives from honest toil...courage never fails

April 1st, 2010, 11:25 am #2

I'd give it a go and to justify it I'd put some silicone on the caseback gasket while it is open.

For the humidity is there a time of year when it isn't so humid? How about an air conditioned room? Maybe some folks from similar regions have better suggestions.

Last edited by nhoJR on April 1st, 2010, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2010, 12:19 pm #3

after regulation I will just close a room with a dehumdifier in it...and after say 30 mins I would seal the watch after putting some silicon grease on the gasket...then on to the vacuum tester...

I will let you know how all this goes ...

Last edited by buddy13 on April 1st, 2010, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2010, 2:23 pm #4

-9 seconds/day...it bugs me a bit that a watch runs slow...would you open it and regulate it? I know I am capable of doing that..but do you think it's waterproofness would in anyway be compromised (I can do a vacuum pressure test) and worse yet do you think that air high in moisture (high humidity in Malta) might be closed in the case...?

What do you think should I resist the temptation ..?

Etienne,

Do you have access to a timing machine? If so, you can see if the amplitude is acceptable and if the escapement is in beat. It will also make your rate adjustment far simpler.

Best,
Myles

April 1st, 2010, 2:32 pm #5

Checking if amplitude is above a certain threshold and checking for beat error will definitely help but at my watchmaker you still have to remove the caseback to do this (especially on divers with thick casebaacks like the OS ) so I will try it on a hit or miss method first then check it on the timing machine when I go to do the vacuum test ...at least that's what I thought..

I will adjust slightly once per day then time it to a datum to check what is the daily rate...

April 1st, 2010, 2:36 pm #6

Etienne,

If the Orient escapement is anything like that of the Seiko 7S[23][56] family, it will be difficult to change the rate by 9 s/d without the aid of a timing machine. In other words, if you see the regulator move, you've moved it too much.

Best of luck,
Myles

April 1st, 2010, 3:00 pm #7

I managed to regulate my Sumo (6R15) to within 3 seconds/day on the wrist (it would vary with different positions of course it is no 8L35 ) but it was a slow painstaking process..

April 1st, 2010, 4:39 pm #8

Etienne,

If the Orient escapement is anything like that of the Seiko 7S[23][56] family, it will be difficult to change the rate by 9 s/d without the aid of a timing machine. In other words, if you see the regulator move, you've moved it too much.

Best of luck,
Myles
LoL that is so true.

Is this my Signature?