"Clash of The Titans" - First meeting (pics)...............>>

"Clash of The Titans" - First meeting (pics)...............>>

May 29th, 2008, 7:36 pm #1

Two heavyweights of the dive world squared up to each other today for the fist time namely the Seiko 7C46-6009 600m Quartz Professional Diver (Ashtray/Prototype (http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/me ... is+morning.. ) Close serial number to this one and price seem a little OTT already. Mine is a "keeper" for now, and the Citizen 800m Professional Quartz (nickname needed).

The Citizen is a new arrival and the Seiko I've had a while but has been away to have a small repair carried out so when she returned today there was a tense stand off
[/IMG]
The Seiko is no shrinking violet but the Citizen just seems to have more presence
[/IMG]
Casebacks are both nice but the Citizen to me is gorgeous , love that diver's helmet
Seiko is notably heavier due to it's SS case v Titanium for the Citizen
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The next pic is included to show the bezels really. Citizen has a cool press down to move action. Seiko bezel insert is smooth while the Citizen bezel markers are raised to give a "3D" appearance. Styling is individual for both - Seiko 80's , Citizen 90's
[/IMG]
Side by side I really like both. Seiko has a domed crystal which is really difficult to photograph without reflections. Both are mineral and the Citizen crystal is scratched and I hope to source a replacement.
[/IMG]

Finally an uneasy alliance is formed. Which is my favourite? Neither really but the Seiko is perhaps an aquired taste whilst the Citizen instantly satisfies with it's rugged appearance looking like it could go 800M and then some
[/IMG]
Although in many ways they are quite different visually I'm struck by the similarities - all silver "beadblasted" look case , crown and bezel , gold hands , markers and indicies and of course quartz which (sorry autophiles) I prefer.

Thanks for viewing
Cheers
Neil

May 29th, 2008, 9:15 pm #2

I really like the shiny caseback. Nice...

I like the 800 as well... but.... Ashtray... Hmmmmmm... NOS..Hmmmm(in a Homer Simpson way)

Congrats Neil

Cheers

Matt

"Whatta we got here?... Portable shower or monkey cage?"

May 29th, 2008, 9:21 pm #3

is actually the more comfortable watch to wear despite being heavier than the Citizen but the slimmer case sits a little easier on the wrist.

Cheers
Neil

May 29th, 2008, 9:22 pm #4

Two heavyweights of the dive world squared up to each other today for the fist time namely the Seiko 7C46-6009 600m Quartz Professional Diver (Ashtray/Prototype (http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/me ... is+morning.. ) Close serial number to this one and price seem a little OTT already. Mine is a "keeper" for now, and the Citizen 800m Professional Quartz (nickname needed).

The Citizen is a new arrival and the Seiko I've had a while but has been away to have a small repair carried out so when she returned today there was a tense stand off
[/IMG]
The Seiko is no shrinking violet but the Citizen just seems to have more presence
[/IMG]
Casebacks are both nice but the Citizen to me is gorgeous , love that diver's helmet
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The next pic is included to show the bezels really. Citizen has a cool press down to move action. Seiko bezel insert is smooth while the Citizen bezel markers are raised to give a "3D" appearance. Styling is individual for both - Seiko 80's , Citizen 90's
[/IMG]
Side by side I really like both. Seiko has a domed crystal which is really difficult to photograph without reflections. Both are mineral and the Citizen crystal is scratched and I hope to source a replacement.
[/IMG]

Finally an uneasy alliance is formed. Which is my favourite? Neither really but the Seiko is perhaps an aquired taste whilst the Citizen instantly satisfies with it's rugged appearance looking like it could go 800M and then some
[/IMG]
Although in many ways they are quite different visually I'm struck by the similarities - all silver "beadblasted" look case , crown and bezel , gold hands , markers and indicies and of course quartz which (sorry autophiles) I prefer.

Thanks for viewing
Cheers
Neil
I would prefer the Citizen with it's raised indicies on the bezel. Great comparison and photos, thanks for sharing these watches with us.

Bad news on a crystal for your Citizen. COA lists the 5503-F50121 as completely out of parts. The central parts supply at COA in California has no crystals for that watch. What's worse, is there are no dimensions in their database. I guess they clear the database after the watch is discontinued.

The best idea would be to pull the crystal and have it measured. Hopefully, you can locate an aftermarket crystal from Borel or another source. I wish there was better news, but it appears OEM Citizen crystals aren't available for that watch here in the US. That's a shame, it's an awesome watch.

May 29th, 2008, 9:34 pm #5

your efforts! It was very generous of you to give up some of your time to check that out for me. Your advice is sound and was proposed by Jack at IWW also. A generic mineral crystal of the same thickness etc can be sourced I'm sure once I can measure it's dimensions.

Cheers
Neil

May 29th, 2008, 9:37 pm #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Thanks for viewing
Cheers
Neil
of a beauty for sure.

I have one as well, but need to source a 7c46 movement for it, mine also is the NOS sample case in the original package.

I love the watch & seems like it may just win out over the Tuna models, just for sheer ease of wearability?
~ I'm not sure of that, as I have no strap fixed to it yet.

Nice job with this post my brotha,
Jimmy

May 29th, 2008, 9:59 pm #7

my friend. The Seiko just feels great on the wrist. The 600M and 1000M Tuna's are great but I never really wear mine out of the house as on my wrist at least the comfort isn't great.

I wish you luck in the hunt for the 7C46 movement and if I can help in any way I will. I bought my 7C46-6009 a few months back from this very forum. Looking at the one on ebay now , prices seem to be going crazy on these not that I want to sell mine

Cheers mate

Neil

May 30th, 2008, 12:31 am #8

I can tell just by placing it on my wrist with no strap, that it seems like it's going to wear better than even the 6309 diver or the well fitting Tuna, so I'm very happy with finding this NOS sample case (Pic Below).

To be honest with you,
I do love the quartz Tuna's very much so, and mine fit & feel and wear great on my wrist. Which never having one ahead of time to test, was sort of a big gamble with the unknown but it worked out well for me.
They are perfect on my wrist especially the Big badboy SBDX005 600m auto 8L35 King Tuna.

~ The thing is as you know, they are real Dive Tools meant for commercial diving and best suited in that wet & dry suite environment.

Although I do realize, that the Tuna Diver just doesn't fit or suite everyones wrist the way they would like them to, as you have mentioned about the fit and feel of your Tuna's.

lol, To wear them with a shirt & tie is kinda off the deep-end as we know, but hey it sure is worth trying at times isn't it!

Back on Topic,
I feel these 7C46-6009's are extreamly rare watches, and from what I see of the sales and prices realized of their Tuna cousins, I think that a NOS fully functional example should be worth $1200.00 usd or about $600 pounds sterling my friend!

Yes Neil,
I could use any (help or heads-up) email, if you hear or see something that I really need or would be looking for like a 7C46 movement or a beater SSBN007 to barrow the machine from her.
~ I really appreciate that kind gesture from you very much so & it's always worth while to find caring friends on this or any other forum!

Thank You,
Jimmy

May 30th, 2008, 1:40 am #9

your efforts! It was very generous of you to give up some of your time to check that out for me. Your advice is sound and was proposed by Jack at IWW also. A generic mineral crystal of the same thickness etc can be sourced I'm sure once I can measure it's dimensions.

Cheers
Neil
J Borel doesn't have that case in their database, but it could be a standard size. If you can get the dimensions, they might be able to fit it.

They also produce custom made crystals for a reasonable price.

May 30th, 2008, 3:59 am #10

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Thanks for viewing
Cheers
Neil