Photos...Woman's 1500 at Mesa - top 3 hit Olympic A standard

Photos...Woman's 1500 at Mesa - top 3 hit Olympic A standard

George Green
George Green

June 21st, 2012, 9:02 pm #1

Here are a few shots taken by Bob Bettancourt of the womans' 1500 last night.
The top 3 finishers hit the Olympic "A" standard.

Coach Ross
Coach Ross

June 21st, 2012, 11:27 pm #2

Awesome Photos! What a Great Night!!! EOM

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

June 22nd, 2012, 12:49 am #3

First, thanks to the organizers of Summer Nights and the staff and volunteers from Mesa college for putting on such a smoothly run meet. This was the first summer all-comers meet I've been to, and it was relaxed, informal, as I thought it would be, but still professionally done. It had to be, because there were some genuine professionals running. That was the part that just amazed me. I knew Jarred Rome would be there, and he threw great. A lot of speed and power there. But then Canadian Diane Cummins, going for the A standard in the 800. (She missed it, but still ran around 2:04 unaccompanied.) Prince Mumba an Olympian from Zambia, breezing to an easy 1:47 in the men's 800. Former Olympian Muna Lee in the 100 (an 11 something, also easy. Someone said she'd been injured, and that's why she hadn't been running for a while, but she looked strong.) An impressive male sprinter, whose name I didn't catch, running 10 something in the 100 and 21 in the 200. (It wasn't the greatest sprinting night in terms of conditions.) And then of course, the women's 1500, which was just a blast to watch. I think the announcer was right--that had to be the fastest women's 1500 ever run in San Diego. Those women were amazingly fast even in warmup! The way they were running curves made me wonder if they'd have enough left for the race.

The other aspect that hasn't been mentioned, though, were the members of the U.S. Para-Olympic team who were there. All of them have really inspiring stories of overcoming their "disabilities" (hard to think of them as less than physically able when they are such studs on the track). No feet, one arm, one leg, blind, didn't matter--they were just flat out fast. For those with no leg or no feet, those "Pistorius" prosthetics they had on helped, but one thing seeing them in person is that you could tell they slowed down the start considerably, and then it looked to me like it required even more muscle power to propel them, especially for the young woman who was missing a whole leg. The blind guy running in the 11s in the 100, and then his guide, who was talking him through the race even as they were sprinting--wow, that was something.

The one bad thing: there were so few people were there to see it. It just was too bad that here were some of the best athletes in the world, performing really well, too, and there were at most 100 people in the stands. Nothing to be done about it--that's just track and field in the U.S. today.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

June 22nd, 2012, 9:41 pm #4

Women's 1500 was outstanding. Only the 2nd place finisher, Anna Pierce, is entered at the Olympic Trials and her time is ranked 5th of all entrants. I wonder why the other 3 are not going - their times put them all in the top 6 in the country.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

June 22nd, 2012, 9:58 pm #5

if you hit the olympic A standard you get to go on the team but could be wrong, i just remember hearing people trying to hit the A standard after the trails have gone

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

June 23rd, 2012, 3:49 am #6

Women's 1500 was outstanding. Only the 2nd place finisher, Anna Pierce, is entered at the Olympic Trials and her time is ranked 5th of all entrants. I wonder why the other 3 are not going - their times put them all in the top 6 in the country.
They were Canadians, I think, and therefore cannot run in the US Olympic Trials.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

June 23rd, 2012, 4:51 am #7

that explains it EOM

Confirmation of reply: