UGGGGHHH!!! DS mentioned

UGGGGHHH!!! DS mentioned

July 11th, 2008, 7:50 pm #1

I need to vent. I'm 38, have DS who is 2 and awesome. We tried for a year before him and got pregnant the cycle they did the fallopian tube xray. We've been trying for #2 for a year - done clomid, injectibles, etc. not much of a response with either - 1 or 2 follicles each time - on a high dose of menopur, nothing. Doc recommended DE but it seemed a little rushed to me. What was his evidence that mine aren't good?

So, I am at another fertility clinic to get another opinion. This doc does the clomid challenge - I can't believe the first one didn't do that - and my day 2 fsh was 11.2 and my day 11 fsh was 39. so, how bad is that? Is that 11.2 bad or 39 bad?

I started acupuncture a month or so ago and love it. I'm now going to try the infertility cure book. But, I don't really want to waste my time if #2 isn't in the cards for me and I'll end up going DE in a year after a bunch of more AFs.

Another thing - post DS, i developed hashimoto's and graves. I kindof think that these are connected. Any advice from anyone? I'm bummed.

July 11th, 2008, 7:52 pm #2

sorry - i didn't put my name on the original post. it's julij11.

July 14th, 2008, 11:46 pm #3

I need to vent. I'm 38, have DS who is 2 and awesome. We tried for a year before him and got pregnant the cycle they did the fallopian tube xray. We've been trying for #2 for a year - done clomid, injectibles, etc. not much of a response with either - 1 or 2 follicles each time - on a high dose of menopur, nothing. Doc recommended DE but it seemed a little rushed to me. What was his evidence that mine aren't good?

So, I am at another fertility clinic to get another opinion. This doc does the clomid challenge - I can't believe the first one didn't do that - and my day 2 fsh was 11.2 and my day 11 fsh was 39. so, how bad is that? Is that 11.2 bad or 39 bad?

I started acupuncture a month or so ago and love it. I'm now going to try the infertility cure book. But, I don't really want to waste my time if #2 isn't in the cards for me and I'll end up going DE in a year after a bunch of more AFs.

Another thing - post DS, i developed hashimoto's and graves. I kindof think that these are connected. Any advice from anyone? I'm bummed.
i don't know much about it but if you post on the high fsh board there are folks there who know tons about those diseases and they they relate to IF. i would definitely not give up! i had an 18.9 and got pg with DD when i was 34 and i'm now 38 and after 9 months of acu to help my lining i got pg naturally. clomid can cause lining issues for some folks so get yours checked.

best of luck! jen

me: 37
dh: 33
dx'd 1/2004 with 18.9
1st IUI 1/04- bfp but no hb at 8 weeks
2nd IUI 5/04 - bfn
3rd IUI 8/04 - BFP (fsh tested 10 that month) - DD born 4/29/2005

ttc #2
1st IUI - BFN
1st IVF - BFN
2nd, 3rd and 4th IUI's - BFN
taking a couple of months off to do accu and herbs
5th IUI - BFN
appointment with cooper 11/19 for DE and possible cycle with own eggs if we do something to help my lining.
O'd day before cooper visit and he put me on p4 - got BFP 2weeks later!

It's a Girl!! due 8/9/08
C-Section scheduled for 7/30/08

Orchid
Orchid

July 28th, 2008, 6:17 am #4

Do NOT despair. You have an EXCELLENT CHANCE of getting pregnant. 11 is really an OK level. It's borderline normal. I would bet a million dollars that a very healthy diet and a little Chinese medicine would get you pregnant fairly soon.

I am older. I first got that same level when I was around 40. I may have been 39, I don't know.

I have read a gazillion pregnant women older than I was and with much higher fsh levels get pregnant since.

I have been pregnant twice. I have lost both. But at the same time, I have seem other people get pg. and have it go through. It's a bit of a crapshoot. So I don't tell you about my losses to worry you...some other people have on the over 40 board with really high FSH and many immune issues.

I have hashimoto's and grave's antibodies. However, my thyroid levels are fine after being moderately hyper for a period. I was told by both my RE and my endo to go on levox at a very low dosage anyway. Now my thyroid levels are loooooowwww...but this is OK, according to my RE.

Anyway...you may want to see an endo and ask about this study. It is supposed to drastically help with mc for those with anti thyroid antibodies.

So far, I have not been successful. But my RE thinks I could be. I'm doing an IUI this month.

I had trouble getting pg. until I started doing acupuncture, though. So you might want to consider that if you aren't doing it now.

I am three years older and my fsh is going up to 14 recently. That is my highest level. So the picture is not quite as rosy for me but I still think I have an OK shot.

Orchid
Orchid

July 29th, 2008, 9:50 am #5

I got pg. very easily at that point. Pg. at 37, delivered at 38. I believe this was before I got the ATAs. So yeah, the ATAs could be your problem.

Also...if you find out anything, could you post about what you learn? All I've heard about so far is the Beers clinic. I am reluctant to try the Beers clinic for financial reasons and because they seem to overtest you...you get tested for everything and it costs a pretty penny. Also, the treatments are unproven. However, many people have recommended them.

I have not found any other reproductive immunologists...I don't think there ARE many. This is key for some people, though.

August 4th, 2008, 2:58 am #6

Do NOT despair. You have an EXCELLENT CHANCE of getting pregnant. 11 is really an OK level. It's borderline normal. I would bet a million dollars that a very healthy diet and a little Chinese medicine would get you pregnant fairly soon.

I am older. I first got that same level when I was around 40. I may have been 39, I don't know.

I have read a gazillion pregnant women older than I was and with much higher fsh levels get pregnant since.

I have been pregnant twice. I have lost both. But at the same time, I have seem other people get pg. and have it go through. It's a bit of a crapshoot. So I don't tell you about my losses to worry you...some other people have on the over 40 board with really high FSH and many immune issues.

I have hashimoto's and grave's antibodies. However, my thyroid levels are fine after being moderately hyper for a period. I was told by both my RE and my endo to go on levox at a very low dosage anyway. Now my thyroid levels are loooooowwww...but this is OK, according to my RE.

Anyway...you may want to see an endo and ask about this study. It is supposed to drastically help with mc for those with anti thyroid antibodies.

So far, I have not been successful. But my RE thinks I could be. I'm doing an IUI this month.

I had trouble getting pg. until I started doing acupuncture, though. So you might want to consider that if you aren't doing it now.

I am three years older and my fsh is going up to 14 recently. That is my highest level. So the picture is not quite as rosy for me but I still think I have an OK shot.
Orchid - you mention a study to look into with my endocrinologist. What study do you mean?

I developed the antibodies after I had my son 2 years ago and I haven't gotten pregnant since. Because of the antibodies, will I have a greater risk of miscarriage if I ever do get pregnant?

My TSH numbers are low - I'm on levoxyl - but my endo wants it that way too.

Thanks so much for your kind words of hope. Just started my period today after an IUI cycle and I'm not too pleased.