TTC #2, just found out about high FSH level at aged 40... sad

TTC #2, just found out about high FSH level at aged 40... sad

August 21st, 2007, 6:04 pm #1

We had no trouble conceiving #1 when I was 38, now two years later we are having trouble conceiving #2. My day 3 FSH level was 15.2. Can't believe we might not have another. All we are doing at the moment is the fertility monitor, having lots of sex when it says to... will not do IVF probably since we are lucky enough to have one (and don't have $$ out the you-know-what).

Just sad.

Cheryl
Cheryl

August 21st, 2007, 7:09 pm #2

I too have secondary Infertility- I had DD when I was 33 and 2yrs later had fsh of 14... same emotions and feelings- despair, sadness etc... but since I've found this board I really have some hope... you've come to the right place for support..
Does your insurance cover IUI?? that's what I'm currenty doing- 5 failed IUI's . I'm getting ready for my 6th IUI- 2nd with Injections. My RE won't approve me for IVF b/c he said I'd have just as good odds w/ IUI...
Cheryl

Anna
Anna

August 21st, 2007, 9:36 pm #3

We had no trouble conceiving #1 when I was 38, now two years later we are having trouble conceiving #2. My day 3 FSH level was 15.2. Can't believe we might not have another. All we are doing at the moment is the fertility monitor, having lots of sex when it says to... will not do IVF probably since we are lucky enough to have one (and don't have $$ out the you-know-what).

Just sad.
I know how you feel Ellen, and sorry you have gotten the high FSH diagnosis. I also conceived very easily and naturally at 37. Started trying for second at 38.5, got high FSH diagnosis (also 15) at age 39. I am sorry to tell you that I have been trying for 2 years and no luck yet (just one m/c). But I have certainly seen many women on this board get pg against the odds so there is certainly hope. You may want to read the over 40 and high fSH board as well as it is very active and lots of pregnancies lately.

Don't worry about not being able to do IVF. I tried it and failed terribly (not enough eggs). There have probably been more naturaly pgs on this board than IVFs (though I can't say for sure). I am currently doing natural IUIs. There are no drugs, my doc just monitors my cycle and we do the insemination when I am ovulating. It is low cost. The main reason we are doing this is because my DH has low sperm count but i think it also helps to just have the monitoring so that you know that are growing a follicle and that you are having sex at ovulation time.

I certainly wish you all the best,
Anna

August 22nd, 2007, 6:19 pm #4

Just sad.
i had trouble with #1 which i guess makes the trouble for #2 a bit easier to swallow, although not much. there are plenty of women over 40 getting pg naturally and with IUI. your #'s are not that high which is good. sorry for your dx but there is lots of hope!

jen

me: 37
dh: 32
dx'd 1/2004 with 18.9
1st IUI 1/04- bfp but no hb at 8 weeks
2nd IUI 5/04 - bfn
3rd IUI 8/04 - BFP (fsh tested 10 that month) - DD born 4/29/2005

ttc #2
1st IUI - BFN
1st IVF - BFN
2nd, 3rd and 4th IUI's - BFN
taking a couple of months off to do accu and herbs

Jennifer
Jennifer

August 23rd, 2007, 11:53 pm #5

Just sad.
I had my son at 29 and I was told for years I may not have children due to endometriosis (2 laps. in my 20's). Ironically I found out I was pregnant when I went in for a HSG test. I thought at the time that they don't know what they're talking about and I won't have any problems conceiving. My son is now 5 1/2 and I was diagnosed with high fsh when I was 32. My FSH at that time was 72. I sobbed for days uncontrollably.

I would encourage you to read up on the posts on this forum. I found great comfort in knowing that there are other women going through this and that we're not alone. I also discovered a wonderful Doctor, Dr. Jerome Check at the Cooper Center in NJ. He has been encouraging and will work with me even when other clinics turned me away. He will work with you to try to conceive naturally. I have to pay an out-of-pocket management fee which is $200 per month and then I have to pay regular insurance co-pays for blood work, but if IVF is too expensive, this may be an option for you. Your FSH is not that high so do not be discouraged. There are other Dr.'s and RE's from what I have read that will work with patients that other Dr.'s will not touch.

Best of luck to you. Remember this is not the end...just another path!

Jennifer

August 26th, 2007, 9:41 pm #6

Just sad.
I was dx with high FSH (19.6) at age 38.7 (after ttc#1 2 years) and conceived DD shortly after that via IUI. We chose to go the IVF route for #2 since I was over 40 and recently conceived twins at age 42.3 (currently 13w) thanks to low stim IVF. BUT many of the over 40 gals have become pg just ttc naturally, especially with acupuncture and sometimes low stim boosts of injectables (just a little help, not as expensive or stressful as IVF), so please don't be discouraged. Check out the over 40 timeline for a list of successes and how they did it: http://www.network54.com/Forum/53068/thread/1187098236/

Kiwichick