SCP 173 should be optional.

SCP 173 should be optional.

Capricorn

Apr 22 2012, 05:03 PM #1

This game is absurdly scary and I am a HUGE fan of the SCP archives.
I love seeing all the different SCPs make appearances in the game... and that brings me to an issue and point.

SCP 173 started as the focus of the game, but it feels like allowing for more SCPs allows the game to grow greatly. Therefore, I propose, that SCP 173 should not escape containment at the start of the game, and should instead have a *chance* of appearing later so that there is a time and chance to encounter other SCPs and not mainly worry about him.

Don't get me wrong, I love SCP 173, but having the game throw different SCPs at you each time would be much MUCH spookier then just 173 every time with an occasional appearance of others. Exploring a seemingly empty and dark series of hallways and sometimes encountering horrifying things is arguably scarier then exploring a dark hallway and watching out for a guy you know is out there.

The Blink meter could appear after the fire time you spot 173 if he is released in your game (Or if you release him by mistake by errant button pressing) and blinking could happen without a meter before then.

So, in summary, the game would be improved if it were a SCP exploration game and not a SCP 173 game with cameos.

PS: Sorry if it sounds like I am asking you to do a good deal of additional work (I am) but no one can deny that having an SCP game with a bunch of the best SCPs would not be the best thing of all time.

PPS: 'Optional' may not have been the best word, when I mean "There should only be a chance of encountering SCP 173, and it should happen a little bit into the game", but that would not fit in the title.

Apr 22 2012, 05:20 PM #2

For now, there is just a couple of SCPs presented and the sculpture is the main one in the game. So, as for me, the plot beginning shouldn't be changed.
And SCP 173's hunt never lasted more than 10 rooms in my walkthroughs. The player is the only survivor nearby and this thing wants to kill him, that's pretty logical. Than it may go away for a long time, as it were sometimes. But I think, that ability to choose SCPs presented in current walkthrough would be good, if there were more dangerous things.

Apr 22 2012, 07:44 PM #3

I, for one, support your idea. Having SCP 173 as optional sounds more fun. I hate the idea of him popping up when I'm trying to explore. When I first got rid of him temporarily and just started exploring, the game seemed to be REALLY fun in a different way. This is just my opinion, but having him as optional is, of course, optional, so I don't really see any downsides to it except something along the lines of "Breaking the intended experience."

If you REALLY need him gone though, you can set his speed to something like 0.1.
And SCP 173's hunt never lasted more than 10 rooms in my walkthroughs
Huh. To me, he usually spawns either in certain rooms. And he usually shows up at random otherwise.

Slagar
Veteran Member
Slagar
Veteran Member

Apr 22 2012, 10:36 PM #4

I've never successfully gotten past 173 after trying many times. While I disagree that he should be optional, he sure is hard to avoid in his current state, especially when he was chasing me from behind and then teleported to the room ahead of me.

Course, In one playthrough I wandered around for quite a while without ever encountering him or 106, but I think that was a one time thing.

Being able to choose which SCP's appear would be an interesting idea, but it would radically change the game, so I don't think it's likely to happen.

Raphael
Veteran Member
Raphael
Veteran Member

Apr 22 2012, 10:52 PM #5

Slagar @ Apr 22 2012, 10:36 PM wrote: I've never successfully gotten past 173 after trying many times. While I disagree that he should be optional, he sure is hard to avoid in his current state, especially when he was chasing me from behind and then teleported to the room ahead of me.
This just happened to me. I kept my eye on the path he was on as I backed into a door, then CRACK.

I like how he shows up sometimes, but maybe lower his spawn frequency and make it so he can't show up multiple times in a room?

Snoipah
Snoipah

Apr 23 2012, 12:41 AM #6

173 is how you get away as a class D, he kills the guard for you and leaves you be(for some reason)

Honestly? Hes fine as is.

Only flaw I see is why he lets you get away scot free.

Apr 23 2012, 08:05 AM #7

Snoipah @ Apr 23 2012, 12:41 AM wrote: 173 is how you get away as a class D, he kills the guard for you and leaves you be(for some reason)

Honestly? Hes fine as is.

Only flaw I see is why he lets you get away scot free.
I think that he should stay there after killing guard. Some lights are on so we could run away. Btw, sometimes 173 really remains in the first room after killing everyone. As for me, it always should be so.

MegaScience
Advanced Member
MegaScience
Advanced Member

Apr 23 2012, 08:35 AM #8

I just think SCP-173 shouldn't be so common to spawn, but still exist in the current way. I just watched a 35 minute video of SCP Containment Breach, and 173 was in every over room for this guy. Spawns too often.

Apr 23 2012, 06:29 PM #9

Well, it looks like the developer was thinking the same thing as the OP. There's now a way to make both 173 and 106 stop appearing, just be sure to read the changelog in 0.1.2.

Raphael
Veteran Member
Raphael
Veteran Member

Apr 23 2012, 07:36 PM #10

The thing is, without 173, the blink meter becomes pointless.

Guest010
Guest010

Apr 23 2012, 09:19 PM #11

This game would work better if it had "areas" and a way to bypass each SCP. Each section of the game could have its own additional little mechanic like the blinking one for 173. Just a thought

Apr 23 2012, 09:25 PM #12

Guest010 @ Apr 23 2012, 09:19 PM wrote: This game would work better if it had "areas" and a way to bypass each SCP. Each section of the game could have its own additional little mechanic like the blinking one for 173. Just a thought
Most of the game is (seemingly) designed around SCP-173, and I'd like it to stay that way. But the old man can be encountered in some SERIOUSLY inconvenient times, so I'd like him to be a bit more rare. He seems harder to retreat from.

Apr 23 2012, 09:47 PM #13

There are also plenty of games where a monster chases you throughout the game. There needs to be a way to hang it up in each section so you can explore more.

Slagar
Veteran Member
Slagar
Veteran Member

Apr 23 2012, 09:55 PM #14

KenOfAllTrades @ Apr 23 2012, 09:25 PM wrote:
Guest010 @ Apr 23 2012, 09:19 PM wrote: This game would work better if it had "areas" and a way to bypass each SCP. Each section of the game could have its own additional little mechanic like the blinking one for 173. Just a thought
Most of the game is (seemingly) designed around SCP-173, and I'd like it to stay that way. But the old man can be encountered in some SERIOUSLY inconvenient times, so I'd like him to be a bit more rare. He seems harder to retreat from.
Really? You can quite easily just run past him, and you don't have to go far for him to stop chasing you. 173 on the other hand is something you can't run past and you can't open some doors necessary to your escape without looking away, so I'd say 173 is harder.

I suppose it depends on your style of play though.

Apr 23 2012, 11:14 PM #15

I think without a doubt 173 should remain a very big part of this game, there isn't really much point to a blink system if he's "optional" or whatever, the creator said he wanted this game to be based more around 173 and puzzles regarding getting past it, and I'd like it to stay that way.

That's just me though.