zMax, YES OR NO!?

zMax, YES OR NO!?

Thinking about Zmax
Thinking about Zmax

November 25th, 2002, 11:53 pm #1

Ok i've spent a good hour looking at most of these posts, and i still can't come up with the right conclusion. Is it worth buying or not and will it acctually work!? I have an 89 BMW 325i i have about 165000 miles on it, and the engine is still running great.

I watched the infomercial on TV and thought, wow it would be nice to get a little more power and maybe clean all that crap out of my engine. But will it acctually do this? and how long will it last?

It would be very helpful if a few people could tell me about there personal experiences with the product.

Thank you for your time.

John Smoot
John Smoot

November 26th, 2002, 1:15 am #2

I've used zMAX in 2 of my personal vehicles. It gave me about 5% better fuel mileage...OK, but not earth-shattering. Will it clean your engine? Probably some, but if you've changed your oil regularly, this probably isn't an issue to worry about. There are cheaper things to pour in your gas tank to clean the injectors/intake valves. Try STP or Berrymen's B12. On a different note, I think we all need to try some stuff called Motorkote 100! A guy named "Anonymous" claims he got a 37% increase in mpg in a large Chevy truck by using it! If this is true, sell zMAX short and buy all the Motorkote you can stuff into your portfolio. I wonder about these super sneaky guys named Anonymous. I guess 007 is taken, though.

Rick
Rick

December 4th, 2002, 5:31 am #3

Ok i've spent a good hour looking at most of these posts, and i still can't come up with the right conclusion. Is it worth buying or not and will it acctually work!? I have an 89 BMW 325i i have about 165000 miles on it, and the engine is still running great.

I watched the infomercial on TV and thought, wow it would be nice to get a little more power and maybe clean all that crap out of my engine. But will it acctually do this? and how long will it last?

It would be very helpful if a few people could tell me about there personal experiences with the product.

Thank you for your time.
I have a 76 Nova and put some work into it every month to keep it in as good running condition as possible.

I started this forum to get the sort of answer you're looking for-- and it seems to me that because I have not gone ahead with a Zmax treatment,that's effectively voting no.

Interestingly, I just watched the ad again and that's what prompted me to check in here. It's been awhile since I last saw it.

Matt
Matt

December 8th, 2002, 7:43 am #4

Just in case you havn't heard, The FTC is sueing ZMax, which is owned by Speedway (who operate NASCAR) in order to have their allegedly false claims halted - the article I read said all the claims that ZMax supposedly will do are FALSE. If the government is sueing them, it's a good bet that ZMax is a rip-off.

Mackie
Mackie

December 20th, 2002, 3:45 am #5

Hey Matt open your eyes, prolong, slick50, castrol, and many many others have been sued by the FTC does that mean that everything out there is crap. Common just cause the FTC is sueing them doesn't mean there claims are true. Why do you think the lawsuit has lasted this long, THEY HAVE NO CASE. I have personally used Zmax in my car for about 6 months now, i got a little bit of power back and a little better fuel economy, you need to do some more research and try and use the product before you jump to conclusions

John Smoot
John Smoot

December 20th, 2002, 3:05 pm #6

People, Matt included, WAKE UP!!! The FTC is using the lawsuit CLAIMS, note I did not say proof, to influence people to try to get zMAX to close up shop, without ever so much as proving one thing. They've done this before and will continue to use this MO as long as it works. It works because people are trusting of the FTC. I think P.T. Barnum noted this type of personality trait in people about a century ago.

PCD
PCD

December 30th, 2002, 3:16 pm #7

I put zMax in my 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe. I am now rebuilding my engine because zMax turned the hoses on the fuel rails to goo, turned the timing cover seal to goo causing an oil leak, and weakened my head gasket causing a head gasket failure. If the Head Gaskets hadn't went, I'd have had an engine fire from the fuel hoses leaking.

I had no problems with gaskets and fuel line hoses before I used the zMax. I usually post on www.tccoa.com, a Thunderbird and Cougar website.

John Smoot
John Smoot

December 30th, 2002, 11:17 pm #8

PCD, so it sounds like we don't want to use zMAX in neoprene gas hose applications. Are those in your Bird a special type? Are all rubber gas lines neoprene? I wonder if the stuff really melted your gaskets. I guess it's possible, it seems to have a solvent odor to it. Are the gaskets in the Bird any different than most? It's just that nobody's said anything about this happening previously. How many miles does the 90 Super Bird have on it. There could be some coincidences occurring here. I hope you can salvage the Bird. I think they're a cool rod. You just don't see many still on the road. Good luck!

Wellwellwell
Wellwellwell

January 7th, 2003, 6:18 am #9

I work at a petrolium lab and rebuild vehicles for fun. Kind of seems like I would know what I'm talking about here.

I came across this site because I was curious of who was getting into this infomercial product.

A product like Z-max can help your car if they actually released more information on who could use it, and who shouldn't.
They don't and there aren't many situations where z-max is better than other products you can buy on the market that will actually improve a whole lot more.

Linkite and teflon based aditive/lubricants have damaged more engines than ever help. Mainly due to the viscosal strength of the lubricant now is unstable. I don't think the 3.8 was the best engine ford could have supercharged, but its also not a bad engine at all. This has nothing to do with why this crap was getting into and around certain components, its actually common.

You should never think that any aditive will actually clean your engine. If you want to clean your engine, then you need to buy yourself 1-2 quarts of good kerosine or "motor flush." That will clean your walls, and allow for you to use a product like royal purple or even just a mobilone tri-synthetic oil to more freshly break in and do its job right. Cleaning Injectors should be done by either hand, or other great techniques and not with higher octane fuel(which actually is another strange idea people come to think of) or a $2.00 bottle of injector cleaner that can potentially remove things from the line and plug your injectors instead. As for transmission, there are a full set of small plug-play things that you can do to really feel improvement, and gain a mass of life aswell. Starting with not neglecting the fluid, and ending with front mounted transmission fluid cooler.

This list can go on and on. But it's still clear that they are just people who smile and sell. (PS, NO, tornado doesnt do what they say it does. But you can buy aftermarket intakes for cars that use air twist which will guide the air in a more modified manner. It's not even hard to make one for little money.

John Smoot
John Smoot

January 8th, 2003, 2:25 am #10

Funny name you've got there. Since you seem to have a little more insight and experience than the average Joe, tells us a few things, please. First, ever had any experience with a product called Motorkote 100? If so, what's the scoop? Second, how about the zMAX? It looks and smells different, different viscosity, than the average off-the-shelf Teflon/Dura/Pro type of additive. I've tried alot of them, and so far, the zMAX is the only thing that showed a measurable improvement in gas mileage. Not a small feat considering all it's doing is reducing internal engine friction to accomplish this. It does seem to "wear off" rather quickly...say 3000-6000 miles. And, finally, besides the changing of the tranny fluid and the cooler, what else is there to try, for longevity and efficiency? We'll all be looking foward to any and all of your writing. Please, go in depth if you have the time!