Zmax - my experience

Zmax - my experience

April 23rd, 2002, 5:11 pm #1

1989 Toyota Camry V6, auto trans, 198k miles
Added zmax engine treatment, transmission treatment, etc. last month.

The good: Before adding zmax it would require 2~3 minutes of warm-up idling or the transmission wouldn't shift gears. It has much improved since adding zmax and transm shifts much smoother. Thumbs up.

The bad: 19-21 mpg on average before; 20.2 mpg on the first tank of gas. Where's that promised increase in mpg?

The ugly?: My car used to leak about a quart of oil between every oil change. A bottle of $2 engine stop-leak took care of it a few months ago. Added zmax last month, drove it around, and the leak came right back, smoking like a barbeque grill under the hood. Try telling me it's a coincidence.

ricky wyrick
ricky wyrick

April 26th, 2002, 6:27 pm #2

i've been a mechanic for over 20yrs.when you have a leak additives are not the solution.have the bad seal replaced.these additives act like a synthetic oil that has been added to an engine that has always run on standard oil.it cleans out the sludge that builds up inside an older engine,which in turn cleans out the seals,thus your return of your leak.
i would also like to add that if your engine is close to 200.00 miles,you might want to think about increasing the viscosity of your oil.of course the manufacturer wants you to stay with your 5W30 motor oil.they want to sell you a new engine or a new car.

John Smoot
John Smoot

May 7th, 2002, 3:33 am #3

Yep, you can't make all of them happy. Geez, my underpowered foreign over-priced car with 200000 miles on it started to make funny noises.....

Stewarth
Stewarth

May 16th, 2002, 12:59 pm #4

The good: Before adding zmax it would require 2~3 minutes of warm-up idling or the transmission wouldn't shift gears. It has much improved since adding zmax and transm shifts much smoother. Thumbs up.

The bad: 19-21 mpg on average before; 20.2 mpg on the first tank of gas. Where's that promised increase in mpg?

The ugly?: My car used to leak about a quart of oil between every oil change. A bottle of $2 engine stop-leak took care of it a few months ago. Added zmax last month, drove it around, and the leak came right back, smoking like a barbeque grill under the hood. Try telling me it's a coincidence.
Got 21.6 mpg on 2nd tank of gas... better than first tank but doesn't seem to me as a big boost. Previous improvement on shifting is starting to fade.
Will report on 3rd tank soon. (I live across the street from where I work and drive like 100 miles a week max.)

rt
rt

June 16th, 2002, 7:57 am #5

I have a 1995 ford thunderbird LX 4.6L V8, I put in the Z-MAX at about 35,000 mi. and now I have 115,000 and it's stll going strong. I don't have noisy lifters, knocking, smoke emmissions or anything else, it runs like a champ. just for your info I put about 50,000 miles on in about 2 years. I think it works.

Joh Smoot
Joh Smoot

July 9th, 2002, 3:32 am #6

How often do you add the Zmax? Did you notice any increase of MPG? Do you put the Zmax in oil, gas, tranny? Just some info that would be helpful in letting us make up our minds about this stuff. Oh, and how much does it cost?

Freddy Mac
Freddy Mac

November 3rd, 2002, 6:01 pm #7

Got 21.6 mpg on 2nd tank of gas... better than first tank but doesn't seem to me as a big boost. Previous improvement on shifting is starting to fade.
Will report on 3rd tank soon. (I live across the street from where I work and drive like 100 miles a week max.)
How refreshing...a guy who actually uses zMAX and reports on his findings. Too many of these guys who post don't even use the stuff. I guess they just like to see their BS in type on the internet (C.D. Fisher, Peter Zappe, 1bdude?, cal1, etc.). I haven't used it yet, but think I will try it in my 99 Gran Prix. It doesn't need any help, but hey, maybe it'll bring out the beast in it. I'll report back my findings in the near future.