What I think is happening to this forum is...

What I think is happening to this forum is...

January 7th, 2004, 3:50 am #1

... is that it's becoming my cryonics blog, as opposed to something that very many people wish to participate in, which was it's originally concieved intent. I'm going to do some deeper thinking, here in this thread, about what this forum is, in effect.

xpurpose
Last edited by recreation on February 6th, 2004, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Non E. Moose
Non E. Moose

January 7th, 2004, 5:18 am #2

Despite what some think, you are NOT the only person writing here, using various handles. I, for one, am a distinct personality, as are at least two others.

DumpsterBaby
DumpsterBaby

January 7th, 2004, 7:23 am #3

...5 or more participants maybe? And another 5 or more irregular participants?

Anyway, Rick, I regularly participate in many online forums, and some of the biggest ones around (Slashdot.org, democraticunderground.com, plastic.com, kuro5hin.org, fark.com). These forums have dozens, hundreds, or even a thousand or more regular participants. But there are very very few such forums on the web.

Actually, you have a nice little forum here, considering its base to draw from is the cryonics online community, which is very small indeed.

If you want more participants, you could try not posting on such such outre topics as LaRouche or chemtrails, as you are sometimes wont to do, and instead concentrate on cryonics or life extension related topics. Or better yet, develop content-heavy posts on areas that figure into cryonics in meaningful ways, which I have done here before, as have you. For example, posts delving into the relationship between the news media and cryonics or death or immortalism, etc.

Or look into ways to revive the cryoProtect system I posted on here previously. I am currently trying to develop a security system for my condo complex parking lot that will stop car burglars. But previously I had used the same equipment to look into how often I moved in my sleep, with an eye towards alerting fellows cryonicists on the Net via computer when a cryo stops moving. Cheaper technology has made it possible to now use cheap webcams to alert people via email when motion is no longer sensed in a house. That could be an interesting area to look into.

But don't worry about it! It's a good forum....

Rick
Rick

January 7th, 2004, 2:17 pm #4

Thanks, I'll consider those suggestions. The original intent was to make it possible for Cryonet readers to have an easier space to use for more details on topics introduced on Cryonet or for off topic ideas irrelevent to Cryonet. I guess we're sort of doing that so I'll just leave it alone and keep doing what we're doing. I was afraid I was posting too much given my original idea.

Ray
Ray

January 7th, 2004, 4:13 pm #5

Give it some time, Rick. I think you have a great forum. However, it is a shame that key people from Alcor do not participare here. I am beginning to question their line of thinking and contemplating my membership with them. I think Alcor is out of touch with their members. I use their lack of timely monthly publications as an example.

Rick
Rick

February 5th, 2004, 6:16 pm #6

The purpose of this forum was originally to an off-topic area for Cryonet readers, however I think it was also partly motivated to demonstrate to others how they could also run their own "interactive blog". I've seen others try "collaborative blog" and that is almost what I'm doing here but not quite. Every individual can theoretically have their own blogspace that allows easy responses and that features top things on their mind. I wish that the big wheels in cryonics or in anything in life-- in politics for example, had a blogspace like this. The president of the USA could do one, for example.

Good morning, my fellow Americans. I had scrambled eggs this morning for breakfast and I'll be calling the president of North Korea to see what he had. He now has a webcam so we can have breakfast together. ETc.

jan
jan

February 6th, 2004, 1:17 am #7

Hey there, I am from (and living in) europe and I have been reading this forum more or less every day for the last few weeks. I think it is nice to have a less serious cryonics forum !

Like in any other cafe some people talk a lot and others sit, listen and learn ! So just because "we" are not as vocal it does not mean we do not have a good time too

Pity that there is no way yet to get a double espresso through the net though ...

February 6th, 2004, 1:57 am #8

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate you're speaking up.

John Grigg
John Grigg

February 11th, 2004, 3:41 am #9

... is that it's becoming my cryonics blog, as opposed to something that very many people wish to participate in, which was it's originally concieved intent. I'm going to do some deeper thinking, here in this thread, about what this forum is, in effect.

xpurpose
I just want to add my .02 cents and say the small number of post contributors does not detract from the site at all. And I enjoy Rick's lengthy comments & insights on various important (and sometimes not so important!) matters.

I appreciate that Rick says what is on his mind and tries to figure out what the underlying truth is of something, rather than just taking things at face value.

John

Rick
Rick

February 11th, 2004, 4:15 am #10

Thank you for the accolade. I like your phrase, "the underlying truth".