Top 10 names in cryonics in 2003

Top 10 names in cryonics in 2003

Rick
Rick

January 1st, 2004, 1:25 am #1

Possible inclusion in top 10 names in cryonics in 2003:

1. David Hollister, because he stopped cryonics in Michigan.
2. Larry Johnson, because he turned on Alcor.
3. Ted Williams, because he was discovered to have been a neuro, possibly vitrified, rather than whole body as first believed.
4. Dr. Jerry Lemler, because he was stricken with cancer and had to resign his Alcor presidency.
5. Ben Best, because he replaced Ettinger as president of CI
6. Joseph Waynick, because he was elected as president of Alcor.
7. John Henry Williams, because he was discovered to have applied to Alcor for membership, was turned out because he hadn't paid for his father's cryostasis, and then was struck by a disease that required a bone marrow transplant which may or may not succeed.
8. Claudia Williams, because she donated the bone marrow to John Henry trying to extend his life.
9. Christine Gaspar, because she took over as president of the Cryonics Society of Canada
10.Edwin Rowlette because he tried to freeze his wife on his own, in Arizona, got caught, and had her shipped to Canada for arctic burial.
Last edited by recreation on January 1st, 2004, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

DumpsterBaby
DumpsterBaby

January 1st, 2004, 3:15 am #2

although not in a good way, at least for right now. But the seeds of this year may create thousands of cryos decades from now.

Rick
Rick

January 1st, 2004, 3:38 am #3

Give me your top 3.

DumpsterBaby
DumpsterBaby

January 1st, 2004, 5:08 am #4

and going on:

The Bureaucrat Hollister

Charles Platt

The Reporter who reported the 1992 Alcor Incident

Tanya Jones

Hugh Hixon

Ben Best

Joe Waynick

Rick
Rick

January 1st, 2004, 12:22 pm #5

What did Hugh do specifically in 2003 to get on your list?

Ray
Ray

January 1st, 2004, 6:13 pm #6

I believe Ricks initial list of the top 10 is right on the money. Rick, do you know of many cryonists that live in Texas? A friend of mine lives there, and stated that he thought Johnson is from there. My friend is a religous person who lives outside of Dallas somewhere. He told me that he was listening to a religous radio talk show and the topic was about cryonics. Johnson's name was mentioned several times. They made a statement that several months ago, Johnson talked (to someone there) about releasing more taped evidence involving Alcor executives. They stated that Johnson was involved in a legal battle with Alcor and that he would not go into details. They eluded to the fact that he was waiting to release this right before he meets Alcor in court. Sounds like Johnson might make number 1 on the 2004 list.

Rick
Rick

January 1st, 2004, 6:56 pm #7

Maybe we can make a top 10 prediction list for 2004 regarding cryonics. For example:

1. We will not discover how to do suspended animation yet.

2. Cryonics will not suddenly become popular among Britney Spears fans.

3. The Pope will sign up for cryonics.

4. Several Alcor or CI members may go into cryostasis. Not a single one will have checked off the box on their paperwork that says they want to be public about it.

5. CI and David Hollister of the CIS in Michigan will work out an agreement that lets CI continue to do cryostabilization.
(Hey, is that a new word I just coined?)

6. Saul Kent STILL will not have made a public announcement of where Timeship will be located. I predict he'll cancel the project.

7. The Catholic Church will contact Rick Potvin to see if he can assist them in arranging for the cryostabilizations of newly canonized saints. The catacombs under the Vatican will be modified and outfit with high tech dewars for medium temperature stabilization. They'll have see-through windows on them and the saints will be positioned in a dignified upright but 45 degree slanted position. All cryonicists will then join the Catholic Church and attend mass on Sundays and learn to sing Gregorian Chants. We'll start wearing chromium robes and be called Holy Futurenauts.

8. Ted Williams torso will have to be pulled out of stasis and be cremated. It'll be part of the deal Alcor makes with Larry Johnson and others in which Ted's head remains vitrified.

9. Alcors board makes a decision to never accept another member a the last minute. All paperwork has to be completed in advance. No more stained oily notes.

10. Larry Johnson's remaining tapes consist of several hours of discussion of whether to include anchovies on the Friday night after-work pizza or not.

Ray
Ray

January 1st, 2004, 9:09 pm #8

That is too funny!

Non E. Moose
Non E. Moose

January 2nd, 2004, 4:00 am #9

Maybe we can make a top 10 prediction list for 2004 regarding cryonics. For example:

1. We will not discover how to do suspended animation yet.

2. Cryonics will not suddenly become popular among Britney Spears fans.

3. The Pope will sign up for cryonics.

4. Several Alcor or CI members may go into cryostasis. Not a single one will have checked off the box on their paperwork that says they want to be public about it.

5. CI and David Hollister of the CIS in Michigan will work out an agreement that lets CI continue to do cryostabilization.
(Hey, is that a new word I just coined?)

6. Saul Kent STILL will not have made a public announcement of where Timeship will be located. I predict he'll cancel the project.

7. The Catholic Church will contact Rick Potvin to see if he can assist them in arranging for the cryostabilizations of newly canonized saints. The catacombs under the Vatican will be modified and outfit with high tech dewars for medium temperature stabilization. They'll have see-through windows on them and the saints will be positioned in a dignified upright but 45 degree slanted position. All cryonicists will then join the Catholic Church and attend mass on Sundays and learn to sing Gregorian Chants. We'll start wearing chromium robes and be called Holy Futurenauts.

8. Ted Williams torso will have to be pulled out of stasis and be cremated. It'll be part of the deal Alcor makes with Larry Johnson and others in which Ted's head remains vitrified.

9. Alcors board makes a decision to never accept another member a the last minute. All paperwork has to be completed in advance. No more stained oily notes.

10. Larry Johnson's remaining tapes consist of several hours of discussion of whether to include anchovies on the Friday night after-work pizza or not.
Point by point --

1. We will also not discover how to do whole body vitrification yet. Yuri Pichugin will end yet another year in his lab with nothing substantial to report, R. Ettinger will continue grinning in the background, and B. Best will continue scratching his head.

2. Therefore her competitor, J. Lo, takes it up, and cryonics becomes mainstream in 3 weeks.

3. Is the Pope Italian? Polish? Did you say Polish? Then the bear sh*ts in the woods. Therefore, the bear signs up.

4. And that Miller guy in Canada buys up half the shares of Sipex, after which Sipex' price falls to 2, he commits suicide, and everyone wonders why Alcor will not publicly acknowledge the vitrification of his head and freezing of his body at Scottsdale, despite someone obviously having talked about him for years.

5. As long as standard embalming fluids are used by the CI mortician, CI will be allowed to cryostabilize their clients in a freezer unit, provided that it is located 6 feet under at an approved cemetery. Pichugin's research continues.

6. Nah. He will move it next to his condo in Florida, a rock's toss from SA.

7. This is correct with the exception of the holy dewar position, which must of course be upside down. This will result in a mass movement of the devoted who will stand on their heads for many hours and take turns smacking their partners on the bottom of the feet with boards, singing "Pie Iesu domine/Dona eis requiem (whap)".

8. This results in a refund to Williams' son for the whole body suspension, which results in (see 9)..

9. .. Ted's son, on his death bed and unable to use the refund, says what the hinny and use it for mine. Yet another new CEO reinvents the last-minute-signup wheel, saving Alcor $120,000.

10. Played backwards by a reporter for the Arizona Republic, the tapes confirm that Charles Platt did not really hire Johnson after all, but merely sent him out for pizza. Johnson demanded to be paid, and the rest was history.

j.t. searcy
j.t. searcy

January 12th, 2004, 2:12 am #10

and going on:

The Bureaucrat Hollister

Charles Platt

The Reporter who reported the 1992 Alcor Incident

Tanya Jones

Hugh Hixon

Ben Best

Joe Waynick

Hugh Hixon is not only the current employee with the most experience with suspensions but he also designed and built (sometimes with assistance) much of Alcor's technical hardware.

Take a walk through the Patient Care Bay, observe the maze of plumbing that allows automatic dewar filling. Hugh and Mathew Sullivan designed and built it. I might be wrong but I think Hugh did most of the designing.

Anytime there is any problem of a technical kind, the first words heard are: "Where's Hugh"! Never underestimate Hugh's importance.
Jerry