New Yorker magazine article about Timeship

New Yorker magazine article about Timeship

Rick
Rick

January 19th, 2004, 10:54 am #1

There are a number of features relating to the article about Timeship in this month's New Yorker. I'll list each feature as it occurs to me in a subthread. If there's a feature of the article that you find noteworthy, you can start a subthread from this post as well. Each new discrete feature of interest should be listed from this post-- not a subpost. Try to keep it organized that way and I'll see if I can't use it as the basis for an article in PHysical Immortality magazine.

January 19th, 2004, 10:57 am #2

The article refers to a capacity of 50,000 cryonauts. I thought it was supposed to be 10,000 judging from previous articles. Which is it?

January 19th, 2004, 11:02 am #3

There are a number of features relating to the article about Timeship in this month's New Yorker. I'll list each feature as it occurs to me in a subthread. If there's a feature of the article that you find noteworthy, you can start a subthread from this post as well. Each new discrete feature of interest should be listed from this post-- not a subpost. Try to keep it organized that way and I'll see if I can't use it as the basis for an article in PHysical Immortality magazine.
What's to prevent local town councils from thwarting Timeship the way SA was just thwarted? The article indicates Steve Valentine refers to cryonics only obliquely when talking to real estate agents and others. Doesn't this lead to the possibility that when local politicians find out what the square mile is actually going to be used for, they'll put the brakes on it?

January 19th, 2004, 11:12 am #4

You have to wonder about the credibiilty of a project that has no news on the news page. The news stories that were there were removed, not archived. It's not normal. I'm beginning to wonder if the whole project isn't some sort of hoax of some sort.

January 19th, 2004, 11:28 am #5

According to my own inferencing, based on some disparate facts, the site has already been chosen. The magazine article makes it seem like Valentine is still shopping around. It makes me wonder when the writer of the article actually went on tour with Valentine as he describes. Was it in the past few months or was it a few years ago? There are no references to dates or months or years in the article, so it begins to look to me like it's a potentially misleading article from that point of view on that particular matter. Real estate negotiation is highly charged and political with lots of potential for various kinds of psycnological "games". I wonder if this article as published at this time for a reason. Maybe I'll write the author of the article and ask him when he actually wrote it or researched it.

Rick
Rick

January 19th, 2004, 1:31 pm #6

Given the scale of the Timeship project, and it's potential impact on cryonics, and given the appearance that Valentine is actually still doing searches for land for the thing right now, judging by the article in New Yorker, it would be incumbant upon all cryonicists to debate the project before more money is spent.

Non E. Moose
Non E. Moose

January 20th, 2004, 4:17 am #7

What's to prevent local town councils from thwarting Timeship the way SA was just thwarted? The article indicates Steve Valentine refers to cryonics only obliquely when talking to real estate agents and others. Doesn't this lead to the possibility that when local politicians find out what the square mile is actually going to be used for, they'll put the brakes on it?
The simple solution is to recruit Bill Gates, who got what he wanted by threatening to move to Canada. He has the money to do it too, of course. Heck, he could start his own non-third-world country if he wanted.

No current cryonicists I know of have that kind of money, except, maybe, um, that guy in, um, Canada.

But, it would certainly seem that enough money would buy off any petty Florida politicos, and if not, could buy up enough of the desired county to control the local government and firmly implant the Castle of the Rich (who cares if they can't give interviews).

Rick
Rick

January 20th, 2004, 4:49 am #8

I haven't seen the minutes of the Boca / SA meeting but you would think that Boca would want another commercial operation in town just for the increased tax base, would you not? I don't know about the payola you mention, however tax bases are completely above board and essential. Boca would have had to have reasoned that the increase in tax money coming in would not have compensated for the potential trouble or whatever they thought could happen with SA. Maybe I'll write Boca or SA on that point and see what they say.

John B. Krug
John B. Krug

January 20th, 2004, 6:50 pm #9

The article refers to a capacity of 50,000 cryonauts. I thought it was supposed to be 10,000 judging from previous articles. Which is it?
Hi: The article said "nearly 50K".
10K or 50K, I think that's all up to the people who get it built if it's for real....I also think the current level of serious interest in cryonics makes speculation about this rather premature. ~JBK

John B. Krug
John B. Krug

January 20th, 2004, 7:07 pm #10

(Hi) in my honest opinion, given the few there are of those who are pro-cryonics, I think you do what you can...I prefer an open process.
I favor considering carefully any reasons for opposition and seek solutions of mutual agreement. I doubt that secrecy works over the long term.... JBK