Chamberlains?

Chamberlains?

xtrams
xtrams

January 15th, 2004, 9:26 am #1

Over on the Yahoo group CryonicsEurope there has finally been some postings.

It seems the Chamberlains offered some Cryonics related short story fiction, in the hope that it might help CI recruit.

This is followed by a terse message from one of the British CI Directors, Alan Sinclair, who states that as the Chamberlains almost destroyed Alcor UK he would prefer having nothing to do with them, or their "help".

This is, in turn, followed by a message from the other British CI Director, John de Rivaz, (who somehow almost ALWAYS has an opinion on any Cryo post) stating his belief that if the Chamberlains offer resulted in just one sign up it would be worth it.
I suppose almost shutting down one of Europes most vibrant Cryonics movements is forgiven when several of the Alcor members relocate to CI?

Anyway this kinda confirms my belief that the Chamberlains are now signed with CI.
What I'd like to know is why they suddenly left Alcor USA and have remained mute until the other day.

I still hope that Linda is beating the disease, although the secrecy in the Cryonics arena is really irritating.

January 15th, 2004, 2:29 pm #2

AHA. You may found them. Now all we have to do is round out the circumstantial evidence and we'll have something close to a confirmation. I've never looked at Yahoo/Europe but there are a bunch of Yahoo cryonics forums we should check into from time to time. I subscribed to CSC/Yahoo so I get the posts in my email-- perhaps I ought to do the same for those other forums. Very good. It's important for the social/psychological health of Alcor members and cryonics in general, I think, to be sure that secrecy doesn't win the day. Of course, if your thinking on this is accurate, then we can assume that Chamberlains have, very tentatively for now, decided to break their silence. This portends some public appearance behind this little story. I think we all ought to read their little story. Maybe there's a moral to it, just like in Aesop's Fables.

xtrams
xtrams

January 16th, 2004, 9:55 am #3

On taking a second look I realised that I could not find the original message quoted by Alan Sinclair!

I've come to the conclusion that what Alan Sinclair is quoting from is probably an inter CI memo or discussion group.

Which means that it was probably (or possibly, I'm only guessing) not for general consumption.

I still think the Chamberlains are with CI now, which is odd given all derogatory remarks they made about CI over the years - oh yes they did.

If only we could persuade GE or some such to offer cryonics, at least then it would be more like a business than a cabal.

Rick
Rick

January 16th, 2004, 1:10 pm #4

This is beginning to sound like a short story Edgar Allan Poe might have written. It might be worthwhile to review Alan Sinclair's posts in general. We might even ask him, via email, if he had a story, apparently by the Chamberlains, removed from Yahoo recently and see what he says. It might even be interesting to post that on the forum itself, asking all the Euro-cryonics Yahoo readers if they retained a copy of it. What do you recall about the their story-- anything at all?

xtrams
xtrams

January 16th, 2004, 3:13 pm #5

Well I didn't see the original message by the Chamberlains on the CryonicEurope Yahoo group.
Just Alan Sinclairs snippet of it.

As I said, maybe it was snipped from another communication that Sinclair had received.

Who knows Alan Sinclair might tell you more..................or not.

January 16th, 2004, 3:37 pm #6

Was there anything at all you can recall from the snippet? And what makes you think it was a recent new excerpt from Chamberlains? How do we know it's not a snippet from years ago?

xtrams
xtrams

January 16th, 2004, 6:18 pm #7

The following is what is on the site:

I sincerely hope Fred or Linda refrain from HELPING!!!! CI in the same way
as they helped Alcor UK. Single handed they almost destroyed it and I find
it extremely worrying they are making any attempt to promote CI, PLEASE
PLEASE DONT, we are doing well without you.

I wish Fred and Linda well because I consider they are well meaning but
walking disaster for cryonics.

Alan Sinclair

----- Original Message -----
To: <Cryonics_Institute@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 11:33 PM
Subject: [Cryonics_Institute] LifeQuest Stories On-Line

> Some of you may remember short stories (mainly about cryonics)
> published semiannually in the late 1980's, under the
> name "LifeQuest". They are (most of them) now on-line at the below
> links. One of the stories in Issue No. 2, "Grandpa Chippers" (a
> children's story about a chipmunk), supposedly made a difference in
> the decision of one member's wife to sign up.
>
> A few years ago, when Linda Chamberlain and I were still involved
> with Alcor, we put a few stories from LifeQuest in each magazine for
> awhile, but were never sure if it led to any new memberships. Maybe
> now, all in one place, they might help attract new members for CI.
>
> There's an alternate "doorway" to the LifeQuest stories linked
> as "Entryway". That's intended for Tolkien fans, many of whom will
> recognize the "Grey Havens" as a place to depart for a land where
> those who reach it live on endlessly. The "Entryway" page draws
> parallels to what we face in an attempt to build "ships that voyage
> through time, to the future".
>
> Boundless Life,
>
> Fred Chamberlain
>

Rick
Rick

January 16th, 2004, 6:30 pm #8

Maybe we can find out what ISP's start with b to get Fred's email address, assuming it's a recent email.

DumpsterBaby
DumpsterBaby

January 16th, 2004, 7:00 pm #9

from travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/weddingreviews/beachweddings.html.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted on 01/22/03
Name: Linda & Fred Chamberlain
State: Arizona
Traveled: December, 2002
Stayed: Cozumel
Weather: Excellent
Highly Recommended
Value: Excellent Value Promptness: 10
Policy: 10
Friendliness: 10

Subject: Fantastic Mayan Beach Wedding Ceremony

Comments: Looking for something other than a "cookie-cutter" wedding? How about a sunset wedding on the beach on the Isle of Cozumel, Mexico? Could it get any more romantic or exotic?

Yes it can. if you have Patricia Watts of Beach Weddings in Cozumel plan an authentic Mayan wedding ceremony. (See photos on the website linked below. Patricia is standing at the right side of the first photo, holding the flowers.)

http://www.boundlesslife.com/wedding.html

What could possibly create a more memorable and unique wedding day? We started planning a couple months in advance since we were arriving in Cozumel during a Caribbean cruise. We had decided to renew our vows after 32 years and wanted something memorable and unique.

We found Patricia on the internet and fell in love with the idea of the Mayan wedding. We were not disappointed. It was a beautiful, romantic, emotionally moving ceremony that not only brought us closer to each other than we could have imagined, but bound our hearts to Cozumel and the Mayan culture. The videos and photographs are our dearest treasures. (Hey, have you gone to the website linked above, yet??? You're missing all the pictures. OK, here's the link again, just in case you missed it!)

[On with the story...]

Patricia was amazingly responsive, helpful and supportive every step of the way. We met Patricia and Reg (her husband, the awesome photographer who created the photos on the webpage above) on the day of our wedding.

We truly feel we now have personal friends on our special romantic isle. If you want a special wedding.do yourself a favor and let Patricia Watts be your wedding planner. If you have any questions about our Mayan wedding please email us: Linda@Boundlesslife.com. [And, if you haven't seen the pictures yet, here they are, one last time!]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So the address would be fred at boundlesslife dawt com.

WHat a GREAT idea for a business! I am tempted to start one up myself!

Rick
Rick

January 16th, 2004, 9:09 pm #10

The guy looks a little life Fred but you never see a clear shot of Linda's face-- Is it them in the pics? If so, then this is truly a weird discovery you just made. I'm totally stranged out here.