The Time Machine.

The Time Machine.

April 4th, 2003, 1:35 am #1

Ever hear a song that takes you back?

I was listening to my music, Chris Issac in particular, the song "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing." Something about the song made my mind drift, I never left my chair but my mind went other places.

Something about the song made me think of my childhood. When cars had tailfins so big that if you sideswiped a man you could cut him in half. It made me think about the roadhouses and honky tonks I grew up in, the dirty sour beer smell, sawdust and peanut shells on the floor, and by God, the music. That dirty boogie woogie rockabilly music. Hank Williams. Ernest Tubbs. That sinfully good black music that every seemed to love, but, nobody admitted listening to. Ah, the music. The times. Ducktails in greasy hair. Engineers boots, pegged jeans, leather. I miss the music. Something about that song took me back to a long time ago, nearly made me ache with nostalgia. Brought a tear to my eye.

What is it about a song that could do this to a man?

McFrugal
McFrugal

April 4th, 2003, 6:25 pm #2

nt!

April 4th, 2003, 7:10 pm #3

I was listening to my music, Chris Issac in particular, the song "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing." Something about the song made my mind drift, I never left my chair but my mind went other places.

Something about the song made me think of my childhood. When cars had tailfins so big that if you sideswiped a man you could cut him in half. It made me think about the roadhouses and honky tonks I grew up in, the dirty sour beer smell, sawdust and peanut shells on the floor, and by God, the music. That dirty boogie woogie rockabilly music. Hank Williams. Ernest Tubbs. That sinfully good black music that every seemed to love, but, nobody admitted listening to. Ah, the music. The times. Ducktails in greasy hair. Engineers boots, pegged jeans, leather. I miss the music. Something about that song took me back to a long time ago, nearly made me ache with nostalgia. Brought a tear to my eye.

Anybody remember when Tonka Trucks were actually made out of Tonka Tuff Die Cast Metal™?

For some reason, this came up between my self, my wife, and one of her squirrely little friends the other day. It seems they can only remember Tonka Trucks being plastic.

I can remember when Tonka Trucks were big, heavy, had sharp metal edges, and could cause SERIOUS BODILY HARM. I remember one toy in particular, a huge yellowish green dump truck that was so big a small kid could sit down in the back of it and ride it around a driveway. I remember it well because of an incident where one kid threw it at another kid. Split that poor kids head wide open like a rotten mellon. I remember because I had to drive the kid to the hospital in my boss man's car, with no licence, and my boss man's wife (It was her son) screaming hysterically in the shotgun seat beside me while the poor kid was bleeding like a stuck pig in the back seat. I was living just outside Atlanta at the time, I think I was about 13 or 14 years old. Traffic was brutal, and I was trying to drive some crappy old Chevy with piss poor brakes.

I remember well after we got to the hospital, (I nearly crashed right through the lobby window, managed to skid the car to a screeching halt by giving the wheel a sharp turn) after all the blood was cleaned up and stitching was done, there were the letters T and half of an O from the word Tonka dented into this poor kid's forehead. A piece of plastic headlight had to be removed from the wound. Boss man's wife had to be sedated.

Hmm perhaps making Tonka Trucks out of plastic is a good idea after all.

Anybody else remember when toys were dangerous?

April 4th, 2003, 10:56 pm #4

No one can make any games since early this morning.

And you owe me 37 SoJs when I got the boot while xferring them ;p

PS: is there a place where we can check realms status?

KoP

April 5th, 2003, 5:14 am #5

I was out on errands today for most of the day, and slept for most of the afternoon, so I did not realize there was a problem.

As for a place to check the status... well, there isn't one. Yet, anyway. I believe it is possible to set something up, but I have no idea how to do it.

In any case, sorry about the problems. I will be reverting to a slightly older version of the software, since that version didn't have the problem of disallowing D2C characters. Hopefully it won't reintroduce problems of server performance degradation that we had earlier. We'll see.

Roland The Gunslinger
The Diablo Strategy Compendium
http://www.diablosc.com/
The Diablo Strategy Compendium Forums
http://www.diablosc.com/cgi-bin/dcboard/dcforum.cgi

April 5th, 2003, 5:19 am #6

Anybody remember when Tonka Trucks were actually made out of Tonka Tuff Die Cast Metal™?

For some reason, this came up between my self, my wife, and one of her squirrely little friends the other day. It seems they can only remember Tonka Trucks being plastic.

I can remember when Tonka Trucks were big, heavy, had sharp metal edges, and could cause SERIOUS BODILY HARM. I remember one toy in particular, a huge yellowish green dump truck that was so big a small kid could sit down in the back of it and ride it around a driveway. I remember it well because of an incident where one kid threw it at another kid. Split that poor kids head wide open like a rotten mellon. I remember because I had to drive the kid to the hospital in my boss man's car, with no licence, and my boss man's wife (It was her son) screaming hysterically in the shotgun seat beside me while the poor kid was bleeding like a stuck pig in the back seat. I was living just outside Atlanta at the time, I think I was about 13 or 14 years old. Traffic was brutal, and I was trying to drive some crappy old Chevy with piss poor brakes.

I remember well after we got to the hospital, (I nearly crashed right through the lobby window, managed to skid the car to a screeching halt by giving the wheel a sharp turn) after all the blood was cleaned up and stitching was done, there were the letters T and half of an O from the word Tonka dented into this poor kid's forehead. A piece of plastic headlight had to be removed from the wound. Boss man's wife had to be sedated.

And I'm not even that old.

I remember the days of metal toys all over: Tonka vehicles, cap guns, Matchbox Cars, etc. Ah, the good old days, when things LASTED.

True, there was some danger. But, hell, that's more an issue with the child itself than the toy, no? After all, we don't make plastic ice skates just because someone can throw one at you. :P

Roland The Gunslinger
The Diablo Strategy Compendium
http://www.diablosc.com/
The Diablo Strategy Compendium Forums
http://www.diablosc.com/cgi-bin/dcboard/dcforum.cgi

April 6th, 2003, 11:29 am #7

I have a bumpy scar behind my right ear from the exact same scenario. All I remember from it was my brother threatening to throw the truck at me, and walking into the hospital. We were both five at the time.

The great thing about those indestructable Tonka trucks was that when you outgrew them, you could sell them for scrap.

WarBlade
WarBlade

April 6th, 2003, 12:19 pm #8

I was thinking of starting a thread like this at Lurker Lounge about a month ago . . . and didn't.

Anyway, one of the things I was considering at the time was the dark green telephone in the kitchen when I was about seven. The image of that thing is real enough in my mind I always have the sensation I could reach out and touch it.

. . . Hand stretches out, index finger slips into one of the holes in the front numbered from 1 to 0, hand and finger cranks the dial around clockwise to the metal stopper, hand draws back to release the dial, dial grinds back to it's rest position, hand stretches out . . .

Sometimes it took up to 20 seconds just to get the number I wanted. A far cry from today's habit of 'spidering' two or three fingers around a keypad, each button capable of rewarding me with a uniquely pitched note through the ear-piece and taking all of a second or two to complete.

April 6th, 2003, 4:56 pm #9

I remember rotary phones.

I can also remember when I was a really little kid hand cranked telephones, there was no dials. You cranked the handle to get the operator and then gave the number you wanted. I also remember party lines, a single line that a whole bunch of folk in the neighborhood shared, and the gossipy old ladies that listened to the phone all day.

CRAP! That makes me feel OLD

Zed
Zed

April 6th, 2003, 6:35 pm #10

I loaded the page and saw a post on telephones, and saw that Doc had responded, I could predit almost exactly what that response would be.