Now that NWN is installed....

Now that NWN is installed....

Lissa
Lissa

June 24th, 2002, 3:35 pm #1

I guess I'll have to make my starting character tonight... :p

I'm figuring Human with Str 8, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 15 and start off as Rogue for lvl 1, then Fighter for lvl 2, followed by Sorcerer from their own out...

By 20, stats should be:

Str 8, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 12, and Cha 20 (baring any increase in stats due to magic items... ).

Charis
Charis

June 24th, 2002, 4:52 pm #2

Excellent Lissa :P
That character plan looks pretty solid. The low
Strength frightens me from an encumbrance point of
view, but maybe you're less of a packrat than I!

On the NWN forum I just posted a Newbie Guide. Just wanted to announce it here, and thought I would do so here rather than in a new thread. You're more up on 3E than I, so it's not intended for you per se :P

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1024937329

BTW, NWN does NOT enforce the "you can't go back" restrictions on Pal and Monk. (Yay! Silly micromanaging rule anyway)

Charis

WarLocke
WarLocke

June 24th, 2002, 4:58 pm #3

I'm figuring Human with Str 8, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 15 and start off as Rogue for lvl 1, then Fighter for lvl 2, followed by Sorcerer from their own out...

By 20, stats should be:

Str 8, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 12, and Cha 20 (baring any increase in stats due to magic items... ).
Rogue 1/ Fighter 1/ Sorceror 18? Bad, bad Lissa!

Ach, who am I kidding? You do what you want!

Try as I did, I couldn't really get into Sorcerors/Wizards in NWN. I can't really put my finger on why, though.

I started a Druid, though (Human, 12 Str/12 Dex/12 Con/15 Wis/14 Int/12 Cha), and he's pretty darn spiffy. Although, some weird things with them:

- Druids get Armor Proficiency Medium for free in NWN, so I could theoretically run around in Banded mail. Ah, the limitations of a game engine...

- Having an animal companion/familiar/summon of a higher level than you (you can see their level by examining them), will cut into your experience. Either the game calculates experience by the highest level in the group, or some higher-level-weighted average, or something. It's easy to verify. Start a Druid in the prelude. Kill a goblin; you should get 20 exp. Kill one with a wolf companion (Clvl+1); you'll get 10 exp. Kill one with only a Dire Badger (Summon Creature 1, always lvl 3); you'll get 7 exp. Of the three companions that are always equal to your level (Badger, Hawk, Spider), I chose badger, so me and Pazu are rocking.

- Note that, the experience penalties only apply when the creature is actually summoned. You could take a high-level creature (like the Bear, which is Clvl+4 IIRC), and only summon him for big fights where you really need him. Then you would only lose exp for that one fight.

- Henchman are also exempt for the exp drain, since they never take exp at all. They always level up at the same time you do.

And, umm, I coulda sworn I had more stuff. Ah well.

Oh yeah:

As of level 4, I've taken the following feats:
- Toughness
- Combat Casting
- Iron Will

Come level 6, I'm not sure what I want to take. I'm really not sure which way I want to go with this char. It's becoming clear that I can't tank in leather. Maybe I should take martial weapon prof and do the whole bow thing? Eh

And as for henchmen, Sharwyn sucks. Her AI won't let her attack until she's out of spells (she's a Bard), so when you need a spell, she's already used them all. Argh... I may have to go back to Tomi

- WL

Charis
Charis

June 24th, 2002, 5:23 pm #4

What's wrong with 1/1/18? For a human there is no XP penalty associated with that, it seems like a solid idea.

??

On another note, does anyone have comments on the other henchmen? (Tnx for the tip on Sharwyn) Like is one particularly useful for one quadrant vs another, or why you would leave Tomi behind? It seems a reversible decision though, hire another, and later comeback and re-grab someone else you've hired.

Charis

WarLocke
WarLocke

June 24th, 2002, 5:47 pm #5

What's wrong with 1/1/18? For a human there is no XP penalty associated with that, it seems like a solid idea.

I see that, and I think: "I am a Great and Powerful Wizard! Well, except that summer in the Hamptons when Benny taught me how to use every weapon and armor, and the day Harry taught me how to disarm disintegration traps..."

It's not that there's anything inherently wrong with it, just that I personally find it hokey. :P

On another note, does anyone have comments on the other henchmen? (Tnx for the tip on Sharwyn) Like is one particularly useful for one quadrant vs another, or why you would leave Tomi behind? It seems a reversible decision though, hire another, and later comeback and re-grab someone else you've hired.

Daelan Red Tiger - Melee Machine. He has a ton of Str and his Orcish Axe gives him an additional attack (PCs can use them too, although it requires Two Weapon and Exotic Weapon feats). He chews through enemies and bashes open things, but that's about it.

Linu La'narel - Loves Power Attack. Pretty "smart" when it comes to spells (usually just heals, but occasionally will Bless/buff). Her hps are decent, but not quite high enough for her to be a major tank.

Sharwyn - Bardsong is useful (gives every friendly within 30' bonuses), has a pretty mean bow. However, she won't melee OR use her bow unless she has no spells left. Bad, bad Sharwyn.

I haven't messed much with the dwarf monk or gnome sorceror. Although the monk does put out a ton of damage.

Also no that, it appears as if NPCs won't dynamically change weapons. IE, if you tell them to only use ranged attacks, they WILL only use ranged weapons, even if surrounded (can we say "AoO City"? I knew we could). I could be wrong, though, but that's the way it appears to me.

And yes, once you've paid their initial fees, you can come back and pick them up anytime (even in ch2, you don't have to pay again).

Oh, and each henchman has a quest you can complete, resulting in an item. These items have notes saying to hold onto them as they can be upgraded later. Hemchmen have new quests in ch2, but I haven't done any yet, so I don't know what they result in.

- WL

Charis
Charis

June 24th, 2002, 7:26 pm #6

Ah, more of an RPG than a strategic objection, gotcha :P

Speaking of chapters... How many are there? I'm in the middle of quadrant/creature 3 quest, and have no idea if I'm half done or 1/10th done. Also, for a typical solo character, is there an 'expected lvl' when he's "done" ?

Charis

Nystul
Nystul

June 24th, 2002, 7:34 pm #7

By 20, stats should be:

I felt the urge and made my trip to Electronic Boutique for this game, and the character I started has a pretty similar plan to yours. I didn't go with the rogue level first though, live and learn I guess

Of course, I'm sure one can do just fine without a really efficient build. Especially when one can just stay out of the way and watch that macho half-orc dice things into bits My starting stats were 10 str, 14 dex, 14 con, 10 wis, 12 int, 16 cha. Played purely sorceress until level 4, then added a fighter level and a weapon proficiency. I plan on adding a rogue level next and then sorcerer from there out, but it looks like you got a pretty nice chunk of extra skills by starting as a rogue.

-Nystul

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

June 24th, 2002, 7:38 pm #8

Ah, more of an RPG than a strategic objection, gotcha :P

Speaking of chapters... How many are there? I'm in the middle of quadrant/creature 3 quest, and have no idea if I'm half done or 1/10th done. Also, for a typical solo character, is there an 'expected lvl' when he's "done" ?

Charis
Dang forum, went down for maintence right in the middle of my post...

On...

NPC's: Tomi is good if you can deal with his horrible pathfinding AI. I like Sharwyn because I play a melee character so her ranged attacks and spells are nice, plus she can open locks. Linu is ok, but again I play melee so far and don't need her healing or turning undead because I can do both myself (Paladin, 9th level thus far).

Length: Well, I finally finished Chapter 1 last night, and heading into Chapter 2. I just bought the hint guide thing today to see if I missed anything in the first chapter (only the wizard/sorcerer class specific quest) and found there are apparently 4 chapters total.

I do hope BW works on the path-finding because it frankly sucks at times.

Other than that the game is mucho fun. I called in sick Friday (mental health day) and did nothing but play thius game almost solid for 3.5 days straight.

Lissa
Lissa

June 24th, 2002, 7:59 pm #9

Rogue 1/ Fighter 1/ Sorceror 18? Bad, bad Lissa!

Ach, who am I kidding? You do what you want!

Try as I did, I couldn't really get into Sorcerors/Wizards in NWN. I can't really put my finger on why, though.

I started a Druid, though (Human, 12 Str/12 Dex/12 Con/15 Wis/14 Int/12 Cha), and he's pretty darn spiffy. Although, some weird things with them:

- Druids get Armor Proficiency Medium for free in NWN, so I could theoretically run around in Banded mail. Ah, the limitations of a game engine...

- Having an animal companion/familiar/summon of a higher level than you (you can see their level by examining them), will cut into your experience. Either the game calculates experience by the highest level in the group, or some higher-level-weighted average, or something. It's easy to verify. Start a Druid in the prelude. Kill a goblin; you should get 20 exp. Kill one with a wolf companion (Clvl+1); you'll get 10 exp. Kill one with only a Dire Badger (Summon Creature 1, always lvl 3); you'll get 7 exp. Of the three companions that are always equal to your level (Badger, Hawk, Spider), I chose badger, so me and Pazu are rocking.

- Note that, the experience penalties only apply when the creature is actually summoned. You could take a high-level creature (like the Bear, which is Clvl+4 IIRC), and only summon him for big fights where you really need him. Then you would only lose exp for that one fight.

- Henchman are also exempt for the exp drain, since they never take exp at all. They always level up at the same time you do.

And, umm, I coulda sworn I had more stuff. Ah well.

Oh yeah:

As of level 4, I've taken the following feats:
- Toughness
- Combat Casting
- Iron Will

Come level 6, I'm not sure what I want to take. I'm really not sure which way I want to go with this char. It's becoming clear that I can't tank in leather. Maybe I should take martial weapon prof and do the whole bow thing? Eh

And as for henchmen, Sharwyn sucks. Her AI won't let her attack until she's out of spells (she's a Bard), so when you need a spell, she's already used them all. Argh... I may have to go back to Tomi

- WL
If you've taken a look at any of the Prestige class books for 3rd Ed, the Wizard/Sorcerer book says that you should look at using a ranged weapon of some kind when the spells run out. So, I plan on getting BP Shot, Rapid Shot, and either Precise Shot or Weapon Focus.

And the thief bit is more for things like Hide in Shadows and Move Silently... :P Cause sometimes, just sometimes, you run out of spells, and you run low on arrows, and there's a need to get out a Dodge alive... :P

And I plan on getting a Panther familiar..

Lissa
Lissa

June 24th, 2002, 8:20 pm #10

Excellent Lissa :P
That character plan looks pretty solid. The low
Strength frightens me from an encumbrance point of
view, but maybe you're less of a packrat than I!

On the NWN forum I just posted a Newbie Guide. Just wanted to announce it here, and thought I would do so here rather than in a new thread. You're more up on 3E than I, so it's not intended for you per se :P

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1024937329

BTW, NWN does NOT enforce the "you can't go back" restrictions on Pal and Monk. (Yay! Silly micromanaging rule anyway)

Charis
No need for large Str. As such, 8 Str should be enough to carry what I need and a couple extraneous items....