LMAO!!

LMAO!!

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

October 29th, 2003, 2:50 am #1

First, the link:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,101504,00.html

I'll admit I actually laughed out loud when I read the first paragraph of the article. And I quote:

"WASHINGTON — A new left-wing think tank — the Center for American Progress (search) — unveiled itself Tuesday as the Democratic vaccine to what center supporters say is a plague of conservatism now dominating America."

A plague? A PLAGUE? ROFL, talk about elitism! Talk about Ivory Towers! OMFG, that is priceless!

Oh yeah, cheap *shot* *warning*:

Isn't "Democratic Think Tank" an oxymoron, with attitudes like this on display?

Occhi
Occhi

October 29th, 2003, 4:34 pm #2

Some think tanks, Right and Left, are spooky in their impact on the thought and decision processes of our nation's decision makers, as are the junk science mavens, the actual smart guys who now and again get listened to, the armies of lobbyists, and a whole slew of political interest groups.

One more hardly seems, to me, to make much of a difference one way or the other.

A Plague of Conservatism? Is that a counter to the Infestation of PC Idiocy on our college campuses, a virus whose vaccine is yet to be invented? Orwell's Thought Police who publish or perish while wearing casual jackets with pads on the elbows.

Same slop, different day.

I'd rather have warts than Herpes, but if I had to choose, I'd rather have Herpes than AIDS. So with this other nonsense: pick your poison, or in this case, your own brand of Tom Foolishness masquerading as 'enlightened extremism.'

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

October 29th, 2003, 7:24 pm #3

Here's the part that most 'worries' me in that apparently these folks think we're stupid:

Podesta said his group is in the business of "thinking through those new ideas, doing the long-term policy analysis," but it also plans to focus its attention on explaining to the public through direct communications "where we think conservative policies are taking the country off in the wrong direction."

Podesta insists that conservative institutions like the Heritage Foundation don't have better ideas, but are merely better at marketing. He said he is confident his center can take over the marketplace of ideas with notable innovations such as a big media staff that will push the center's thoughts onto the Internet, television and radio.

Umm, isn't this 'innovation' actually very old with the bias in the media? Seems like the guy in the article thiks that the ideas he values haven't been put out well enough to have people agree when in fact the ideas are out there, people just don't agree, at least the millions who listen to most talk radio stations.

There is a difference between hearind gna disagreeing and not hearing at all, and I think this fellow at least, is confusing the first instance with the second. That coupled with the fact that apparently we're all idiots and can be brainwashed with some slick marketing, makes this idea truly humorous in a sad sort of way.

October 29th, 2003, 8:49 pm #4

Hi,

Here's the part that most 'worries' me in that apparently these folks think we're stupid

No, they know that we (i.e., the bulk of the population of the USA) is ignorant (the school system has sucked for at least forty years) and lazy (we consume the greatest per capita fast food in the world, etc.). That makes us (again, I stress that this is the bulk of the population) "stupid", not as in "mentally defective" but as in not using what few neurons most have.

That coupled with the fact that apparently we're all idiots and can be brainwashed with some slick marketing

And we (again, the bulk of the population) aren't and we can't? Then how do you explain the fads in food/clothing/cars/music that come and go with no real value? How do you explain that we buy homogenized goop to put on out hair that is no better than plain soap? How do you explain a multi-million (billion?) soft drink industry that sells decaffeinated diet sodas?

Frankly, the only thing more pathetic than the gullibility of the population of the USA is their denial of that gullibility. Yeah, the guy wearing $200 dollar basketball shoes is a "hard sell".

Bah.

--Pete

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

October 29th, 2003, 8:56 pm #5

Touche' Pete.

Hrm, maybe it's the fact that they admitted they think we're stupid to fall for it?

I'll admit I liked Britney (until the rest of her grew up) and don't follow the 'fads' but still like to think I have 1/2 a clue. I don't like when people act like my poor grasp of the issues is non-existant, even if it is.

October 29th, 2003, 10:16 pm #6

Hi,

By and large, I'd put most of the regulars in RBD and LL in the ten percent or so that actually think. Which, of course, is part of the fun of hanging here.

--Pete