Imperium One - The Hives of Xoth - Info Thread

Imperium One - The Hives of Xoth - Info Thread

Sirian
Sirian

April 14th, 2003, 10:01 am #1

RBMoo Imperia have achieved "tactical surprise" by launching the ground war (Imperium One) ahead of the air campaign (SG2). Brilliant planning? Superb foresight and organization? Not this time. Advanced flexibility and decisive action in pursuing a "target of opportunity", though, yes, I'll take credit for those.

I've been playing CTG mod (Colin the Gray) for weeks now, and one of the biggest pitfalls in that mod is the Always War nature of the AI's, which can gas themselves too easily with too many wars on too many fronts, and trickles of aggression instead of gathering SoDs. QSI seems to have found a way to address that. The result is LESS pressure on the player, but this is deceptive. The player can now expand with (relatively) more security, but the AI's now gather their strength in reserve and make fiercer foes down the road. How much fiercer? It's hard to gauge from any single game or playstyle or player.

What we really need now is some strategic comparison. We need multiple eyes on the same game, playing the same contest by the same general rules. We need Epics levels of detail in reports, and a hearty discussion in the wake of the results.

The MOO3 "data patch" was released, and it came with some old problems still imbedded. Chief among these was that Impossible difficulty is broken (performs like Easy), and also the tech pace, though slowed from the release version, is still much faster than MOO1 classic tech pace. I asked Colin to address these two points, and he did, including the full beefing up of difficulty levels across the board present in his mod. I threw in my updated Sitrep fix, then bundled these files into a short mod for this first Imperium event.

Yes, the game engine problems are still there. The MBQ is still a pain, the Senate victory still comes too quickly, and the PD bug is still in there. This won't be all that it should be, but... I believe we have a version that will pose enough challenge to most of you to be worth playing, especially in light of seeing how your results compare to others come Report Day. Those of you who missed the first Epic for Civ3, here's your chance to get in on the ground floor for MOO3.

Special thanks to Griselda for assembling support for this event on ridiculously short notice. Her work in managing the site for Epics and now Imperiums enables these events to have a home and brings us all together. Likewise KoP and all his work at hosting. He does a lot more than is readily visible.

I playtested this start long enough to ensure that the situation is tenable and interesting. Click Here to visit the game page, to learn more.

- Sirian

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

April 14th, 2003, 1:24 pm #2

I know with the SG's the plan was to possibly move away from a "per turn" sit-rep like report, but didn't see anything about it here.

Any specific report style/type we want to try out for this one?

Zed
Zed

April 14th, 2003, 1:32 pm #3

RBMoo Imperia have achieved "tactical surprise" by launching the ground war (Imperium One) ahead of the air campaign (SG2). Brilliant planning? Superb foresight and organization? Not this time. Advanced flexibility and decisive action in pursuing a "target of opportunity", though, yes, I'll take credit for those.

I've been playing CTG mod (Colin the Gray) for weeks now, and one of the biggest pitfalls in that mod is the Always War nature of the AI's, which can gas themselves too easily with too many wars on too many fronts, and trickles of aggression instead of gathering SoDs. QSI seems to have found a way to address that. The result is LESS pressure on the player, but this is deceptive. The player can now expand with (relatively) more security, but the AI's now gather their strength in reserve and make fiercer foes down the road. How much fiercer? It's hard to gauge from any single game or playstyle or player.

What we really need now is some strategic comparison. We need multiple eyes on the same game, playing the same contest by the same general rules. We need Epics levels of detail in reports, and a hearty discussion in the wake of the results.

The MOO3 "data patch" was released, and it came with some old problems still imbedded. Chief among these was that Impossible difficulty is broken (performs like Easy), and also the tech pace, though slowed from the release version, is still much faster than MOO1 classic tech pace. I asked Colin to address these two points, and he did, including the full beefing up of difficulty levels across the board present in his mod. I threw in my updated Sitrep fix, then bundled these files into a short mod for this first Imperium event.

Yes, the game engine problems are still there. The MBQ is still a pain, the Senate victory still comes too quickly, and the PD bug is still in there. This won't be all that it should be, but... I believe we have a version that will pose enough challenge to most of you to be worth playing, especially in light of seeing how your results compare to others come Report Day. Those of you who missed the first Epic for Civ3, here's your chance to get in on the ground floor for MOO3.

Special thanks to Griselda for assembling support for this event on ridiculously short notice. Her work in managing the site for Epics and now Imperiums enables these events to have a home and brings us all together. Likewise KoP and all his work at hosting. He does a lot more than is readily visible.

I playtested this start long enough to ensure that the situation is tenable and interesting. Click Here to visit the game page, to learn more.

- Sirian
...that I am off sick today. So I'll give it a go and hope to get most of the way through it today.

I haven't played with the patch or the mod yet, have been limiting my MOO3 access so I don't get too frustrated with it prior to the code patch coming out. So, this will be my first experience with either.

Incidentally, having about 1/2 speed on your combat ships (at minimum) is probably not a bad idea anyway since you want to be able to maneuver at the start to hide your carriers and missile boats behind your gunships. It's worthwhile experimenting with anyway to see how much of a difference it makes as compared to the usual 0-speed ships.

Sullla
Sullla

April 14th, 2003, 1:43 pm #4

- Sirian
Sounds good. Will give it a go once I finish slogging through the Civ3 Always War game.

Zed
Zed

April 14th, 2003, 1:53 pm #5

I know with the SG's the plan was to possibly move away from a "per turn" sit-rep like report, but didn't see anything about it here.

Any specific report style/type we want to try out for this one?
Of course, if Sirian has any guidelines to give, great, but my guess would be to every 10 turns or so (frequency up to you) to give a "state of the empire" type of report where you report on major happenings. You wouldn't need to report on every tech you get for instance, but getting a new key tech that causes you to redesign your fleet might be noteworthy. Wars, significant swings in race relations, that sort of thing. Enough that you can get a sense of the game, without being bogged down in minutiae.

In our SGs we've been giving an update every 10 turns focussing on the following areas:
- Economy/Colonization
- Intelligence
- Diplomacy
- Technology/Ship Design
- Military/Exploration
or some reasonable set of categories along those lines. In the case of an Epic, the reporting interval is very much fluid, and depends on what happens in your empire.

Jaxom
Jaxom

April 14th, 2003, 3:36 pm #6

- Sirian
Sirian, you are probably the person who played the most MOO III around here. Would it be too much work for you to make a list of the things we should note to make a meaningful comparaison?

Thank you if you do, no problem if you don't, we'll do our best.

Jaxom
Jaxom

April 14th, 2003, 3:41 pm #7

I believe your Sitrep fix is mostly cosmetic and has no effect on the actual game progression, does it matter if we don't use it for the Imperium?

Sirian
Sirian

April 14th, 2003, 7:04 pm #8

The only difference it would make would be in Sitrep screenshots. If you like the default Sitrep better, you don't have to use mine. Just remove the file. You could also edit the file to make your own custom version: there's a column with "Red" "Yellow" "Green" and "Event" categories, which is what to change.

- Sirian

Sirian
Sirian

April 14th, 2003, 7:17 pm #9

Sirian, you are probably the person who played the most MOO III around here. Would it be too much work for you to make a list of the things we should note to make a meaningful comparaison?

Thank you if you do, no problem if you don't, we'll do our best.
Elements to note for comparison? That's a good question.

The most important element will likely be ship sizes, mission types -- specific designs in some cases -- and fleet composition. Next would be wars, and the results of major battles. DEA management style might also be important, as would the advent of any shortages or overabundancies. Leaders and spy results (when significant) might also be important, as would settings such as O-meter, forced labor, taxes, and budgetary emphasis. Also, the opening sequence of moves -- where and when you send your ships, what DEA's are built in the optional slots on the homeworld, and what items you build in the first twenty turns or so, might all be useful data.

Because the planets are fixed in place and quality, we will largely end up owning most or all of the same systems, but the timing and so forth might make a difference. Frankly, I don't know what all will prove to be "inevitable" vs what will prove to be strategic. I think in general, though, that a "flow" report describing what you were trying to do and how things came together or didn't, what surprised you, and where you had to change or adapt to the reality on the ground, as opposed to any "turn by turn" report. MOO3 is a game about the big picture, and reports will likely do better from that perspective than from the zoomed in perspective.

- Sirian

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

April 14th, 2003, 7:41 pm #10

The only difference it would make would be in Sitrep screenshots. If you like the default Sitrep better, you don't have to use mine. Just remove the file. You could also edit the file to make your own custom version: there's a column with "Red" "Yellow" "Green" and "Event" categories, which is what to change.

- Sirian
I haven't looked at the Sit-Rep yet (so this may be done) but does anyone know how to add a report for each time an outpost lands on a planet? Having to scroll through a HUGE planet list every 4-5 turns making sure migration is turned on is a ROYAL pain.

I am hoping that QS makes migration available to be turned on in the system or planet view (both would be preferable), this simple change would make life much easier.