Here's a good QotM...

Here's a good QotM...

Lissa
Lissa

December 22nd, 2003, 7:24 pm #1

Found this and it really points back to a discussion we had earlier on how English tends to change pronounciation around and screw with words with origins from other languages.

"The English language doesn't just borrow from other languages, it follows them down a dark ally and beats them over the head." - Anonymous

Seems so appropriate...

Occhi
Occhi

December 22nd, 2003, 8:19 pm #2

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/12/2 ... index.html

This is, for me, a timely article, since I just finished a science fiction novel called:

A Step Beyond : Written by C.K. Anderson

It is a novel about a 2021 joint US-Russian mission to Mars. His research into space travel and technical detail is pretty darned good, as is his understanding of how political space travel is, for better and for worse. His characters could have been developed a bit more, but at the cost of considerably expanded page count. Not being a fan of phone book sized novels everytime out . . . I liked his brevity. What his style allows is a good pacing to the story. I'd call it a bit more weighted to the science side of SF.

A good read.

BruceGod
BruceGod

December 23rd, 2003, 9:42 pm #3

Enraged by the invasion of the Earthlings, a group of Martians have taken upon themselves to stop the invasion in its infancy. About 2/3 of the invader's diabolical machines are currently rendered useless, and the other 1/3 are shown an empty planet in an attempt to get those Earthlings to leave us alone. So far, it appears to be working. Those foolish Earthlings assume that all life is made in the same manner, so overlook it right under their noses. Wuth repeated successes, Mars will once again be free from those pesky Earthlings.

Occhi
Occhi

December 23rd, 2003, 11:55 pm #4

With "space junk," (even 'spensive space junk) has begun.

Lissa
Lissa

December 24th, 2003, 3:05 am #5

As Viking is still sitting there...

December 27th, 2003, 7:55 am #6

Found this and it really points back to a discussion we had earlier on how English tends to change pronounciation around and screw with words with origins from other languages.

"The English language doesn't just borrow from other languages, it follows them down a dark ally and beats them over the head." - Anonymous

Seems so appropriate...
I decided to look it up and see if I could find the author's name. As far as I can tell, the original was posted to a newsgroup in 1990:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -James Nicoll

Since I couldn't fit the whole thing, and the second sentence is posted here, I just put up the first sentence.

I wouldn't be terrible surprised if someone else actually said this before 1990, but that's what I was able to turn up in a search.

-Griselda

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

December 29th, 2003, 12:27 pm #7

Seems so appropriate...
Found this here:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,106818,00.html

"It is funny to me to listen to how the "left" in this country has become the very essence of what they hated in the 60's: fascist dictators of public discourse and policy. It just goes to show that the pendulum continues it's course on schedule."

Thought Occhi would like the part about the pendulum.