Happy New Year

Happy New Year

December 31st, 2002, 1:21 pm #1

While most of you are still waking up on the 31st of December, here in Australia it's 11:15pm. Very nearly the year 2003.

Happy New Year. I know mine will be. It can't possibly be any worst than 2002. The current QotM is true for me. The only way down for me now is to die. Everything else is up.

I'm tired, and am going to bed. I guess that means that I'll miss all the pointless countdowns to see the year marker tick over on people's watches.

Goodnight, and enjoy your frivolity.

December 31st, 2002, 9:09 pm #2

We still have about 11 hours to go out here!

I like the Dan Quayle quote for new year's. Most people use it to make fun of him, since, taken literally, it doesn't make any sense. But, I think he's saying something that a lot of people believe.

The trick is to make today as good as we can. But, that's always easy to say, and can be tricky to do.

I hope 2003 is all up for you!

-Griselda

December 31st, 2002, 10:28 pm #3

I am staying sober tonight after drinking my self blind on Christmas. Nothing stronger then plain old eggnog. I aint going nowhere tonight.

BTW, my serindipity moment is this... what did I learn this year? Eggnog makes a fox fart something fierce.

Many blessings unto yawl this New Year.

Drasca
Drasca

January 1st, 2003, 5:03 am #4

While most of you are still waking up on the 31st of December, here in Australia it's 11:15pm. Very nearly the year 2003.

Happy New Year. I know mine will be. It can't possibly be any worst than 2002. The current QotM is true for me. The only way down for me now is to die. Everything else is up.

I'm tired, and am going to bed. I guess that means that I'll miss all the pointless countdowns to see the year marker tick over on people's watches.

hopefully at least...

Happy New Year to all who can be happy right now. sitting here alone at my computer, just noticing the countdown go below 10 in my Eastern Coast as I make this post.

-Drasca

Occhi
Occhi

January 2nd, 2003, 3:44 pm #5

A Mr. Sanchez became Corpus Christi's first Traffic fatality of this year, on, you guessed it, New Year's Eve. Same old story. Or was it?

He was hit by an 18 year old driver, a Mr Ramirez IIRC the news report, who was slightly under the influence.
Ramirez is being charged with vehicular manslaughter, but I say the charge is bogus. He was DUI, sure, but, he did not kill Mr Sanchez. Mr Sanchez was an accessory before the fact, he was a willing accomplice to his own death.

You see, Mr Sanchez is not dead from the crash, he is dead because he . . . was not wearing his seat belt, and was thrown from the vehicle. He took to the roads on New Year's Eve, and did not buckle up. OK, maybe Heinlein was right, and maybe stupidity is the only real sin in the Universe, punishable by death.

Mr Sanchez should be in the hospital today, with an injured neck, some cracked ribs, mayhap a broken nose, possibly some burns. He should be calling his lawyer to sue Mr Ramirez, or --DOH!!-- collecting uninsured driver's money (who would have seen that one coming?) rather than being planted six feet under.

I call it contributory negligence. You don't drive home on New Year's Eve without being aware of the hazards. You buckle up and keep an eye open, as there are bound to be Ramirez' all over the place. The cops can't find them all before they hit someone.

That someone could be you.

Buckle up. Live to be pissed off at the jackass who drove home DUI when he should have passed out on the floor, and crashed into your new Altima. Live to get your revenge. You can't get revenge if you are

DEAD!

Buckle up, folks, the anti drunk driving campaign is less than 100% efficient, and zero defects aint possible.

Two wasted lives: one, a dead man, and the other, a guy who should have lost his license for a few years, not gone to prison for manslaughter.

Oh yes, Ramirez is the primary cause of the Accident. He is guilty of improper operation of a motor vehicle, He deserves to pay heavily for being careless.

Sanchez, however, killed himself by

Not Buckling Up.

Same Story, Different Year