Ergh.

Ergh.

March 29th, 2002, 4:56 am #1

Earlier (months back) I'd stated that Blizzard was "done" with Diablo 2 except for compatibility and other small bug fixes.

I was wrong.

Why am I suddenly frightened? Hmm, Diablo 1 v1.07 memories?

Changes are in the works...sorry that I can't be more specific. But it looks like they're not leaving it alone.

-Bolty

March 29th, 2002, 6:04 am #2

...that when I first saw this I immediately started thinking oh no, and 1) Diablo II is pretty messed up already and 2) I don't play it any more.

I wish I could trust Blizz North, I really do....

-Skan

Griselda
Griselda

March 29th, 2002, 6:04 am #3

Earlier (months back) I'd stated that Blizzard was "done" with Diablo 2 except for compatibility and other small bug fixes.

I was wrong.

Changes are in the works...sorry that I can't be more specific. But it looks like they're not leaving it alone.

-Bolty
I'd heard rumblings, but haven't been keeping too close to the rumor mill these days.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that this isn't another "Diablo 1.08" patch!

-Griselda

Thecla
Thecla

March 29th, 2002, 7:36 am #4

I was wrong.

-Bolty
That necromancer nerf has been a long time coming.

We'll roll the dice and see what we get. I can't say I'm attached to D2 in the way I was to D1, so it doesn't really matter to me what they do, but it'll be interesting anyway.

OOGIE BOOGIE
Ashes to ashes, and dust to dust. Oh, I'm feeling weak...with hunger.
One more roll of the dice oughta do it. Haha [rolls dice]
What! Snake eyes. [bang on table]
Eleven! Haha looks like I won the jackpot!
Bye bye doll face and sandman.
Ha, ha, ha
[about to dump Sally & Sandy Claus into the lava]

KingOfPain
KingOfPain

March 29th, 2002, 9:56 am #5

dem uber naked ass. Prolly a good idea to slap some sort of penalty for indecent exposure. Can't have them running around without items - that would ruin the bnet economy. Told you to stop going to pubbie games with Busted, CY. Now the word is out.

EEK, BruiseKnee tried solo Ancient tonite and drew triple LEBS. Maybe another day ;p

KoP

March 29th, 2002, 3:02 pm #6

I was wrong.

-Bolty
Was when Bill Roper or what ever his name was did a fansite chat.

One of the things he did mention was adding universial resists in Hell to tone down the sorcie. Sorry but adding 50% resisits to all elements in hell will not tone down the sorcie. It will kill things like Vengeance pallies, skelly mage necros, elemental druids will get toasted, there are so many things that are obviously wrong with this picture.

Of course, pigs may fly!
Necros could get version 1.1 CE back.
Elemental druids could become horribly overpowered.
WW barbs could be nerfed so badly they are forced to mix drinks at Atmas.

Yeah right.

March 29th, 2002, 5:45 pm #7

I was wrong.

-Bolty
Just to be consistent. Hehehehe.

Maybe they will introduce Mana Shield for everyone besides the Sorceress, just to make it interesting.

Maybe . . . Maybe . . . Maybe they will fix Cleg's gloves bug. One can only hope. And maybe they can get the f%%%ing minions to stop attacking the bone wall, darnit. That is to date my favorite "what was the point of this" feature of the necro class.

With any luck, 1.10 will be a good patch.

checks for presence of shamrocks and four leaf clovers in stash

March 29th, 2002, 6:28 pm #8

I was wrong.

-Bolty
Hi,

So, is this going to be another fiasco where half baked ideas are implemented to over-fix problems they don't understand? Or did Buzzard finally hire someone who can do 8th grade math?

Never mind. I'm sure you can't answer and we can guess.

Damn, and just when I figured the game was settled and started to play again.

--Pete

March 29th, 2002, 8:01 pm #9

I was wrong.

-Bolty
... I'll blame people like Bolty.

Hey, this seems like a good spot for a rant.

Using my 20/20 hindsight (which Bliz outght to have, too, since in HTML terms their <head> tags are firmly nested in their <body> tags*) I really wish that instead of rebalancing anything except the cheesiest of cheese, they had simply taken a stance like: "We cater to a wide range of players. If a given character build is too easy for you, then choose something more difficult! For more information go to RBD and overload their forum."

But the general attitude seems to be not "no cheese for me, thank you" but "I've tasted the cheese, now take it away so no one else can."

On DII.net, I saw a 1.10 wishlist, and one item was imposing a min-clvl to join nightmare games and a higher one for hell games. I just don't see the value in that. Yes, it will make things less convenient for people who boost low level mules to higher difficulties. How does making things more of a hassle for one subgroup make the game better for everyone else?

Way back when, I thought that WhirlWind was cheesy and ought to be nerfed. Now, I think that opinion was stupid - just like the opposite view taken by Ashock that WW should be kept the same and the rest of the game be made harder to match it. Wouldn't the taoist answer be to simply use some other skill if WW was too easy?

Maybe it's just because we all like dinking with other people. Maybe it's because we're all really Puritans. As in, a Puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that somone somewhere is having fun.

The reason I mentioned Bolty, is that I've perceived a number of his posts in the past as reading like "This is cheesy. I've had my fun with it, now I'd like Bliz to fix it so no one else can." (The Rogue skills thread comes to mind as an example.) Maybe I'm misinterpreting him. Maybe I'm overestimating any level of influence he might have - assuming Bliz bases their changes on listening to customers. (But then, there are the things people say they want and the things they *really* want.)

Still, Bolty's probably okay - even if he is a Puritan.

-- CH
["Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I do this!"
"Then don't do that." ]

* stolen from userfriendly.org

Carbon
Carbon

March 29th, 2002, 8:42 pm #10

I was wrong.

-Bolty
Perhaps with the new patch they'll increase the drop ratio of the SoJ relative to the other unique rings.

All the item hacks seem to have killed what item economy was left in LoD, and keeping SoJs artificially scarce doesn't make sense anymore, as they're not THAT good compared to some of the newer uniques. Was I the only person who ever actually USED SoJs to outfit my characters post-LoD (I had one or two from the 1.03 days that found their ways into my chars' equipment kits). It probably will be a while before I pick D2 up again, but I'm interested in what monkey wrenches Blizzard can throw into this game with the next (final?) patch.

Oh, and what will it be called? 1.10 or just 1.1? Anyone taking bets?