10 questions to ask an alien

10 questions to ask an alien

April 11th, 2002, 5:42 pm #1

nothing mystical here.

Looking for a question which has a definate, immediately recognizable answer, that we just do not know yet.

Not looking for metaphysical, probably not logic questions either.

My best, and another answer, follow below.

Linger

The question was posed to me over coffee this morning, with one question; give proof of fermat's last theorum. We don't have one, but if one was given it could be 'proven' correct. So, it would be advanced knowledge, thus the 'alien' part of the game.

I first suggested a unified theory of relativity, but hey, maybe that was asking too much.

My best question is an improved construction method. Truss, girder, rebar... I answered that perhaps 'they' could produce plans for a 'weave' that could be used to for a building. Perhaps the whole structure sharing the load, and made safe b/c it is so over powered that one section will not fail, so no cascade failures. I figured this 'weave' could be tested out on a design program easily enough to show if it worked.

My friend then told me that after 4 years of eng, one thing he learned was, " you can't push a rope."

So, i'm back to square one.

g'luck.

McFrugal
McFrugal

April 11th, 2002, 5:46 pm #2

I thought there was a proof for Fermat's Last Theorem.

McFrugal

April 11th, 2002, 5:51 pm #3

Linger
Linger

April 11th, 2002, 7:22 pm #4

I thought there was a proof for Fermat's Last Theorem.

McFrugal
How to push a rope.

without being cute, you can't push on a rope.

but if a way were found, it'd be something everyone could try.

re: Jaffa - alien was just added colour as i see it. The point being to identify something which we do not know, but could prove true if the answer were given.

Linger

April 11th, 2002, 9:08 pm #5

nothing mystical here.

Looking for a question which has a definate, immediately recognizable answer, that we just do not know yet.

Linger

The question was posed to me over coffee this morning, with one question; give proof of fermat's last theorum. We don't have one, but if one was given it could be 'proven' correct. So, it would be advanced knowledge, thus the 'alien' part of the game.

I first suggested a unified theory of relativity, but hey, maybe that was asking too much.

My best question is an improved construction method. Truss, girder, rebar... I answered that perhaps 'they' could produce plans for a 'weave' that could be used to for a building. Perhaps the whole structure sharing the load, and made safe b/c it is so over powered that one section will not fail, so no cascade failures. I figured this 'weave' could be tested out on a design program easily enough to show if it worked.

My friend then told me that after 4 years of eng, one thing he learned was, " you can't push a rope."

g'luck.
Hi,

The problem is who are the "we" that don't know the answer. The difference between educated people and uneducated people is a slight change in ignorance. Educated people know a little more and know they don't know much.

As to "pushing a rope", no problem. Simply soak it and wait for a cold enough day.

--Pete

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 11th, 2002, 9:40 pm #6

expanded, We are We.

Who doesn't know the answer? Us.
Who's that? All of us.

the educated, the arrogant, the ignorant, the imbical.

What answers have not yet been developed, but would be imediately recognized as correct.

the difference between the educated and the ignorant is as important as the names of all educated people and all ignorant people: not at all.

what do none of them/us know, but could prove as right if it were given.

L

April 12th, 2002, 1:54 am #7

Hi,

My point, which you completely missed, is that the question would have to come from someone who had a clue. A clue, like Fermat's last theorem has been proven. A clue, like we already have a unified theory of relativity (we don't have a grand unified theory). A clue, like woven composite structures, as well as other matrix materials, have been around for a long time. A clue, like "yes, if you are clever and under the right conditions you can push a rope".

--Pete

Linger
Linger

April 12th, 2002, 5:23 am #8

how kind that was of you to say that I have not achieved consciousness. Thank-you for suggesting that a machine, built in 1991, makes better conversation then I do.

>>the question would have to come from someone who had a clue

Indeed. And I posted it here, where I have seen posts with a clue.

like these on math:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1006925337

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1007507038

this on rare history:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1007258988

And this on self abuse in the name of knowledge:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1017288660

I mentioned the example I was given as Fermat's. Was this to show I was ignorant, or was this an example of a question. Take it as you will, or, as you have.

>>we don't have a grand unified theory
Dear sir! You must give leeway to the ignorant.

I, asking for a unified theory that encompasses everything, but erring in the words. Oops.

For the 'unified theory' does not unify everything, and the theory that will is to be called the 'Grand unified theory.'

Perhaps the diction of the ignorant masses could be given a moments consideration. Perhaps you could look at the intention and smile to yourself.

Much love. I wonder if you understood me the first time...

>>as well as other matrix materials, have been around for a long time

Maybe just a shred of respect on the off chance that i do know something about composites. Maybe I had heard the words epoxy, resin, and molding. Perhaps I have even used those words.

Maybe I watched the old NOVA episode that mentions injection molding I-beams on a shuttle mission so a frothy mix could be used, for lighter weight and even strength. Perhaps I was looking for something that you don't know about either. But a geometry that could be proven better. Maybe that was my question, something that no-one yet knows.

>>A clue, like "yes, if you are clever and under the right conditions you can push a rope".

Right, and that isn't being 'cute?' Is that being clever, or is that ignoring the spirit of my whole post? Am i ignorant for asking for a way of pushing a rope, or, in the spirit of my post, intelligent.

Sure you can push a stiff rope, a short length of rope, a large length coiled up. You could put a rod through it and push it, or put it in a shopping cart and push that.

Look at all those up there. They all look so nice, those cute little answers.

However, I believe you knew i wasn't looking for those answers. I suspect you understood the challenge better then you have let on.

But hey, here's to you, you showed me up.

what's needed is a grand unified theory and a water logged frozen rope. That, and some deliberate mis-understanding.

I posted this first time with the impression that this would be interesting. I post now with the feeling i have intruded on a private party.

Linger

April 12th, 2002, 5:53 am #9

Hi,

One entity asks for a GUT, the other writes a couple of equations and then it is up to the first to show they work or not. But, if the equations are something the asker can understand, then they aren't much further along than he's been. And if they are something the asker can't understand, then he can't do anything with them. So it doesn't matter if the answer is advanced science or bull.

So, the problem you pose is nonsense, for what I said above applies to any answer to any question, or jut knowledge tossed at us. If what we are told is testable by us, then it is at best an increment of our knowledge. And if not testable, then we don't know if we're being dazzled or baffled. Thus, neither way does it meet your criteria.

I posted this first time with the impression that this would be interesting. I post now with the feeling i have intruded on a private party.

There is interesting speculation and uninteresting speculation. Interesting: "would life have developed on Earth if the Moon wasn't present?" Uninteresting: "what if the moon were really made of green cheese?" It's not a private party, but it does have pretty high standards.

--Pete

Drasca
Drasca

April 12th, 2002, 5:57 am #10

nothing mystical here.

Linger

g'luck.
Would you like some toast?

ok ok, It is really a cute Red Dwarf reference, but I allude to something more serious. So we're out chit-chatting with an alien species, do we have to be cold and (somewhat-selfish) by asking, "how do I solve this?"

What of their preferences, tastes and culture?
What of their history?

-Drasca