1.10, Seven Samurai, FoS and other musings

1.10, Seven Samurai, FoS and other musings

Occhi
Occhi

March 26th, 2003, 3:42 pm #1

The latest rumor from Bill Roper is that May is when the Patch 1.10 will take place, and they promise that it will be more like an expansion than a patch.

Let's all give one more round of applause for someone trying to stretch our credibility!

What say some of us try Seven Samurai on Seven Lances in the interim? There may be a few SS forum folks interested, possibly Sir Die Alot, and Count Duckula, if schedules can be harmonized, which is without a doubt the key to any team play.

FoS is now complete, in that we killed Baal in Hell last Sunday night, to the sound of great rejoicing. We will probably do the Cow Run before this is all over just for the hell of it.

The final roll call of The Friends of Sysiphus is as follows:

Celtic_Hound: Drey FoS the Flexible Paladin
HawKmoon: Shane_FoS, the Singing Barbarian
Zed: Andante, the Magical Meteor Maiden
Occhi: Spicer_FoS, Bow Wielding Airhead of the Tamoe Highland

Doc could not finish with us, sadly and it was great part due to his recent surgery. His last character was Murphy's Law, an Elemental Druid who tended toward Hurricaine, Ravens and other such lines of attack.

Paul_Uhn was Sissy_FoS and then Kissy_FoS, our first sorceress, but RL and possibly the glacial pace of our progress cost us his continued ability to join in. We shall not forget the, fair Sissy! Your deeds will be remembered!

Lessons: the original aim of minimum practical level with all quests completed got a bit watered down by the LoD implementation, due to the Ancients, leveling and XP protocol change, which made us all level up a bit faster than we would have otherwise. We ended up in the High 60's, and I will say that the Hell Ancients Fight was a pretty vigorous exercise in not screwing up. Diablo in Hell was remarkably tame for the four of us, what with Decoys and Valks keeping his eye off the party, Drey tanking manfully, and the focus on resistance that we all had adopted: a fundamental HC approach.

Tactically, WarCry and Meteor/Mastery are a frightening combination, except against Fire Immunes. The monsters stand there and death rains down from above.

Socketing a MageWrath with a perfect Skull guarantees that you will never be short of mana, except versus Physical Immunes.

A good Paladin is an immense asset to any party, thanks again Hound for your sacrifice and leadership in that regard, in that 'the right aura at the right time' creates a huge advantage over the bad guys, or kept us properly uncursed, resistant, etc.

Thanks again to Zed for his continual reminder to keep focused on the mission and not gain unnecessary XP.

Pumping life early and often, and making sure that you actually have that High resist shield selected via the W key is an aid to overcoming the occasional mindless assault on MSLEB's in the Countess' Tower. :D

Slow Missile is a superb party skill, as is Hurricaine, when LEB's are about. I had some connection problems that made my SM application rather tricky now and again, particularly when I lost track of my cursor in all the video of Meteors et al, so I often did not get the full effect of them on all spell and missile opponents. I will say that OK's and AK's are waaaaaaaaay less trouble when SM has their spell coming inbound at one third of the speed. Another one point wonder.

Zed
Zed

March 26th, 2003, 7:52 pm #2

I suggest we continue on Sundays with our current team on something else, and slot 7 Samurai in for another night of the week. This would make it more likely that we could accomodate people's schedules and give us something to continue with in the event that it is not possible to harmonize schedules beyond what we already have going.

My preference for Sun nights would be something that is "forward-compatible" -- i.e. something where we make as few commitments to the char progressions of our characters make as possible, so that we have a chance to check out the new changes when 1.10 does finally arrive before picking a permanent development path. (Hence my suggestion concerning softcore slackers / one-trick-ponies.) This would mean we aren't forced to start from scratch when 1.10 does come out, though of course that option would still be available.

Sirian
Sirian

March 26th, 2003, 9:14 pm #3

The latest rumor from Bill Roper is that May is when the Patch 1.10 will take place, and they promise that it will be more like an expansion than a patch.

Let's all give one more round of applause for someone trying to stretch our credibility!

What say some of us try Seven Samurai on Seven Lances in the interim? There may be a few SS forum folks interested, possibly Sir Die Alot, and Count Duckula, if schedules can be harmonized, which is without a doubt the key to any team play.

FoS is now complete, in that we killed Baal in Hell last Sunday night, to the sound of great rejoicing. We will probably do the Cow Run before this is all over just for the hell of it.

Doc could not finish with us, sadly and it was great part due to his recent surgery. His last character was Murphy's Law, an Elemental Druid who tended toward Hurricaine, Ravens and other such lines of attack.

Paul_Uhn was Sissy_FoS and then Kissy_FoS, our first sorceress, but RL and possibly the glacial pace of our progress cost us his continued ability to join in. We shall not forget the, fair Sissy! Your deeds will be remembered!

Lessons: the original aim of minimum practical level with all quests completed got a bit watered down by the LoD implementation, due to the Ancients, leveling and XP protocol change, which made us all level up a bit faster than we would have otherwise. We ended up in the High 60's, and I will say that the Hell Ancients Fight was a pretty vigorous exercise in not screwing up. Diablo in Hell was remarkably tame for the four of us, what with Decoys and Valks keeping his eye off the party, Drey tanking manfully, and the focus on resistance that we all had adopted: a fundamental HC approach.

Tactically, WarCry and Meteor/Mastery are a frightening combination, except against Fire Immunes. The monsters stand there and death rains down from above.

Socketing a MageWrath with a perfect Skull guarantees that you will never be short of mana, except versus Physical Immunes.

A good Paladin is an immense asset to any party, thanks again Hound for your sacrifice and leadership in that regard, in that 'the right aura at the right time' creates a huge advantage over the bad guys, or kept us properly uncursed, resistant, etc.

Thanks again to Zed for his continual reminder to keep focused on the mission and not gain unnecessary XP.

Pumping life early and often, and making sure that you actually have that High resist shield selected via the W key is an aid to overcoming the occasional mindless assault on MSLEB's in the Countess' Tower. :D

Slow Missile is a superb party skill, as is Hurricaine, when LEB's are about. I had some connection problems that made my SM application rather tricky now and again, particularly when I lost track of my cursor in all the video of Meteors et al, so I often did not get the full effect of them on all spell and missile opponents. I will say that OK's and AK's are waaaaaaaaay less trouble when SM has their spell coming inbound at one third of the speed. Another one point wonder.
You mean 1.1's STILL not out yet? I've been hearing about it for so long, I presumed it was out. Hmm, wait a sec. Now that I think about it, Cy, JT and I had still been using USWest as an initial launch point for Seven Lances games until recently, so I guess I would have had to download the 1.1 patch to log on to Bnet, so I should have known there has been no new patch. I guess that shows how little Diablo is in my thoughts, as I don't even bother to connect the dots any more.

Seven Lances IS a good mod. About the only things it really doesn't fix are the things it can't fix: the limitations of the game engine.

- Sirian

Occhi
Occhi

March 27th, 2003, 12:16 am #4

How far from the bullseye do you figure the arrow to strike on that, given the history?

MoO 3 is still in the box. RL does not permit 2.

March 27th, 2003, 1:22 am #5

You mean 1.1's STILL not out yet? I've been hearing about it for so long, I presumed it was out. Hmm, wait a sec. Now that I think about it, Cy, JT and I had still been using USWest as an initial launch point for Seven Lances games until recently, so I guess I would have had to download the 1.1 patch to log on to Bnet, so I should have known there has been no new patch. I guess that shows how little Diablo is in my thoughts, as I don't even bother to connect the dots any more.

Seven Lances IS a good mod. About the only things it really doesn't fix are the things it can't fix: the limitations of the game engine.

- Sirian
...I'd be real interested in your opinions on my personal mod. I've taken great pains and care to try and make the game as balanced as I can. I've got a long list of things I still want to do, but if I do say so myself, I've come a long way.

If you fancy a shot at it, you can grab the latest installment (released SOLELY in anticipation of getting up a Dark Tower Realm, per request of several people) here:

http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/

If you don't want to, or can't find the time, that's fine. I just remember how horrendous you found the balanced to be in stock D2 / LoD (I still do; I cannot play stock D2 because it just hurts trying to do so; I think I've said as much to Occhi on one occasion or another), and your name has always been a reminder of that when creating my mod. I've thrown in a few "additions" and whatnot, but for the most part, I've put all my energy into balancing things out, and closing The Gap (as you so appropriately coined it). It may not exactly offer challenge to an old vet, but it's certain to at least change the flavor.

Anyway, just a small, insignificant request, if you find the time or the want. No harm done if you can't / won't. Just something I don't think I ever got around to ask.

Maybe someday, if they ever patch it into a more-than-decent game, I'll join you guys in MoO3. For now, running the newly erected DSF Realm, along with MoO1 and studies for my certifications, have kept me too busy to invest heavily in another new game. And, I don't feel particularly comfortable (maybe justified is the better word) spending the money on a game that sounds to fall very short of its potential. Maybe in the future.

Anyway, sorry for pestering you. :D I'm off to get dinner. Ciao! (Chow? )

Roland The Gunslinger
The Diablo Strategy Compendium
http://www.diablosc.com/
The Diablo Strategy Compendium Forums
http://www.diablosc.com/cgi-bin/dcboard/dcforum.cgi

Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon

March 28th, 2003, 2:15 am #6

...my 7L Realm account is working just peachy, I'd love to give the Seven Samurai a try on the 7L mod/realm.

Shall we begin advertising on the 7L forum?

Now if we can just coordinate schedules!

I'm also up for continuing our little group as the Slackers/One-Trick Ponies -- we do make a decent team...

Cheers,
Hawkmoon

Occhi
Occhi

March 31st, 2003, 12:49 pm #7

I suggest we continue on Sundays with our current team on something else, and slot 7 Samurai in for another night of the week. This would make it more likely that we could accomodate people's schedules and give us something to continue with in the event that it is not possible to harmonize schedules beyond what we already have going.

My preference for Sun nights would be something that is "forward-compatible" -- i.e. something where we make as few commitments to the char progressions of our characters make as possible, so that we have a chance to check out the new changes when 1.10 does finally arrive before picking a permanent development path. (Hence my suggestion concerning softcore slackers / one-trick-ponies.) This would mean we aren't forced to start from scratch when 1.10 does come out, though of course that option would still be available.
After you left, the game crashed, hard. When it kicked me out, it killed the game. Dead.

With it went all of the stuff I had on the ground. Oh no, Mr Sluggo!

+2 Assassin Skills Qahab
+2 Paladin Crystal Sword
+2 Paladin Circlet (The one Hound gave me yesterday)
+2 Off Aura's Amulet
Aldur's hat and boots: Never wore them anyway, so it did not matter.
All of those gems.
All of those runes
Those gloves I was going to craft for you.
That nice RavenClaw bow.
A variety of amulets.

So, what did you do, pull the plug on bnet East when you exited Diablo?

ALL PHEAR THE POWER OF ZED!!!!!

Easy Come, Easy Go. That is probably the most valuable dump of stuff I have ever had bnet eat on me.

hears the sound of munching in the background

Wow, and the servers did not even pour milk on the stuff before they ate it. The Cads, breakfast cereal without milk!