who knows of a good high risk obgyn in NYC

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 7th, 2011, 11:28 pm #1

March 7th, 2011, 11:35 pm #2

I've been looking for one myself over the past few days!! I was given the names of two but neither accepts my insurance. One is Dr. Kalish at Cornell and the other s Dr.Kofinas in Long Island and Brooklyn. He does not deliver but is a perinatologist. People seem to swear by both. I may go to another Dr. in Kofinas' practice that takes my insurance out of network. My current OB/GYN is actually high risk, but I don't want to deliver at the hospital he is affiliated with. So...I'll be very anxious to see the replies you get.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 8th, 2011, 2:19 am #3

if you are open to share...why don't you want to deliver at the particular hospital?

March 8th, 2011, 3:39 am #4

Basically...bad reviews surrounding the maternity ward at the hospital.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 8th, 2011, 1:36 pm #5

I wonder if NYU is good?

March 8th, 2011, 2:19 pm #6

I looked on google but the website www.urbanbaby.com has a LOT of reviews on high risk OB's and maternity wards of NY hospitals in general. The people are beyond honest and the site is really a riot as it is truly anonymous and let's just say...you have quite a few interesting NY'ers that don't mind waxing on about just about any subject and saying things that should not be said out loud!! Just do a search on the site. BTW...I have read that NYU is very good from my research. It seems like NY Presbyterian Cornell, NY Presbyterian Columbia, NYU as well as St.Lukes are all very good. My current Dr. is affiliated with Beth Israel and the decent reviews are far and few in between ;(

March 8th, 2011, 4:36 pm #7

at Cornell..does not take insurance..got his name from someone on the DE board..he was amazing..my baby is here because of him. Cornell has an awesome NICU should you need it. His fees are very fair..insurance paid back most of it.
If fyou are high risk..your baby is too..very important to have a good nursery and NICU as well.
Dr. Sharma is also good as well as Ornico at NYU. Not sure NYU has as gogod a NICU as Cornell or Columbia.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 8th, 2011, 7:23 pm #8

that's why I was "curious". I'd made a choice of hospitals based on comfort (all private rooms, comfort for overnighting dad, bedside internet access, etc.). Basically like if I was picking a hotel room. My OB set me straight and reminded me that the hospital I'd chosen only had a level 2 nursery. She also told me that one of the most important people in the whole delivery process is the anesthesiologist. For that reason she "smacked me around" and pushed me towards the other hospital I was iffy about. I know it's totally stupid (and naive) but I was only iffy because the maternity rooms looked like regular rooms and the maternity floor looked like it could use some updating. But as my OB reminded, they have a level 3 NICU and excellent anesthesiologists on staff. She also told me that if I chose the other hospital, and God forbid something awful happened with the baby, they would need to transport the baby to a higher level nursery and then we'd end up apart. She really talked sense into me.

Betti
Betti

March 9th, 2011, 2:13 am #9

at Cornell..does not take insurance..got his name from someone on the DE board..he was amazing..my baby is here because of him. Cornell has an awesome NICU should you need it. His fees are very fair..insurance paid back most of it.
If fyou are high risk..your baby is too..very important to have a good nursery and NICU as well.
Dr. Sharma is also good as well as Ornico at NYU. Not sure NYU has as gogod a NICU as Cornell or Columbia.
True, he doesn't take insurance but he is amazing. If you have OON benefits, the cost is not bad. He is very highly regarded, and has a lot of experience. I had some issues during labor and am so grateful Dr. Hutson was there. Ditto what Demomone said about NYP-Cornell hospital....excellent NICU should you need it.
Good Luck!

AnnaGr
AnnaGr

March 11th, 2011, 5:28 am #10

Dr. Zervodakis at Cornell (the MFM group). he is not the warm and fuzzy type, but very, very experienced (he used to be the head of the dept)--he has seen it all and I had a host of high risk issues. I felt in very good hands and would recommend him (he delivered my niece too). HTH