VitaminD Dilemma

VitaminD Dilemma

Anon4This
Anon4This

June 12th, 2012, 5:50 pm #1

I take a prenatal vitamin as well as 2000mg of Vitamin D3/ day.
At 7 weeks, Dr ran some bloodwork and told me my Vitamin D was low.
Should I up the supp to 4000mg/day?
He told me to keep taking the 2000mg- but I've been taking that dose for months prior to and through my pregnancy and the blood test still came back low. I didn't ask the level.
All thoughts appreciated.

smrc
smrc

June 12th, 2012, 6:11 pm #2

This sounds trite (and potentially stupid) - but would spending added time in the sun also help? Do you know how low your levels are? SMRC

June 12th, 2012, 6:18 pm #3

that is the way our bodies make vitamin d so, no, not trite.

I'd ask your Dr to retest in a month--or whatever he feels is enough time to see an increase from taking supplements.

I also take 2000mg a day but I take 1000 in morn and 1000 in evening. But for me it was to up my mood--it's helped a lot. BUT my mood has been MUCH better since I've been out in the sun for 1-2hrs a day.

If you live in North America, we need to take VitD all year round, doubling it during the winter.

I'd google vitamin d and what can block it's absorption, maybe there's something like that going on. For instance, iron gets blocked by calcium or the other way around--I forget.

There's something with calcium and vitamin d too. I have trouble retaining this stuff but it's in there somewhere. lol

keep us posted.

jm

Anon4This
Anon4This

June 12th, 2012, 6:30 pm #4

This sounds trite (and potentially stupid) - but would spending added time in the sun also help? Do you know how low your levels are? SMRC
Did you write "Im very sorry to hear this" because you think me/the baby are in dangers? It sounds like you know something I should know, do you want to tell me? Should I be panicked?

Lea
Lea

June 12th, 2012, 7:35 pm #5

Barge, You are fine as is your baby...Im sure the poster just meant to say sorry your levels are low...Nothing more...

smrc
smrc

June 12th, 2012, 7:56 pm #6

Did you write "Im very sorry to hear this" because you think me/the baby are in dangers? It sounds like you know something I should know, do you want to tell me? Should I be panicked?
your level was low - didn't mean to raise alarm bells! I have stopped taking VitD supplements since pg, and have never been told this could harm my pg in any way, nor have I had my levels measured. SMRC

Wells42
Wells42

June 12th, 2012, 8:58 pm #7

He told me to keep taking the 2000mg- but I've been taking that dose for months prior to and through my pregnancy and the blood test still came back low. I didn't ask the level.
I know that webmd may not be the most comprehensive source (and this is from 2010, but most current research says the same thing), but this at least seems to suggest that taking more Vitamin D can't hurt and may even help. I took 5000 iu/s a day during most of my pregnancy and my docs were fine with it. You could always call and ask a nurse if upping the dose is okay. Good luck!

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20100504 ... nancy-risk

Anon4This
Anon4This

June 12th, 2012, 10:20 pm #8

Thank you. Good to know I can up the dose, I sure will. I am 6 weeks, almost 7, I hope the baby didn't suffer any damage from low level of D. Everything else was good. I just don't get why with the supps I taking for so long its still low. Maybe it's because I never see sunlight.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 12th, 2012, 10:20 pm #9

It's standard to test for Vitamin D levels in pregnant women.

See below link from something I posted last summer during my own PG.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/209394/m ... PG+ment%29

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 12th, 2012, 10:23 pm #10

Thank you. Good to know I can up the dose, I sure will. I am 6 weeks, almost 7, I hope the baby didn't suffer any damage from low level of D. Everything else was good. I just don't get why with the supps I taking for so long its still low. Maybe it's because I never see sunlight.
You don't mention your levels.