Visiting from other board...Did any of you take DHEA?

Visiting from other board...Did any of you take DHEA?

June 23rd, 2012, 7:30 pm #1

Hi ladies,

I am beginning my first attempt at IVF and just started the EPP (Vivelle patches and Cetrotide). My RE recommended that I take 75 mg of micronized DHEA until retrieval. Did any of you take DHEA? I have been reading a lot about side effects, etc. so not too sure if I want to attempt this. I did have my DHEA level tested yesterday and it came out a little low (it was 53 and normal is 61).

Thanks so much and hope that everyone is doing well!

ekb88
ekb88

June 23rd, 2012, 7:33 pm #2

If you've been tested and it's low, I think it's okay to take. Alot of docs will recommend it without testing levels and I think that can be an issue. My levels actually tested above normal, so I never took it. High levels can be a sign of pcos, which I have some symptoms of.

mel
mel

June 24th, 2012, 3:51 am #3

Hi ladies,

I am beginning my first attempt at IVF and just started the EPP (Vivelle patches and Cetrotide). My RE recommended that I take 75 mg of micronized DHEA until retrieval. Did any of you take DHEA? I have been reading a lot about side effects, etc. so not too sure if I want to attempt this. I did have my DHEA level tested yesterday and it came out a little low (it was 53 and normal is 61).

My first RE recommended I try it for at least three months. I was not doing IVF or any fertility treatments, just TTC naturally, but he thought it would help improve my egg quality. He never tested my levels, but just told me to take 75 mg for three months. I didn't even last on it for two. I had side effects from it, the worst being that it made my cycle irregular and I didn't need any assistance with that.

After talking with my RE about my cycle irregularity, he said, oh yes, DHEA can do that.

Some people swear by it, but the severity of the side effects weren't worth it for me and my levels were never tested and he didn't think it was necessary to do do.

Jamie
Jamie

June 24th, 2012, 4:30 pm #4

Hi ladies,

Hoping this is it for you! Re: DHEA, that is a LOT. For some people, that works well, and for others like me you go into menopausal symptoms (which I did at 50 dosage). I would start gradually and add up to 75. Good luck!

June 24th, 2012, 5:25 pm #5

Hi ladies,

Hi! My sister was instructed by her RE to take 75mg for 3 months prior to an IVF cycle. Her levels did test low and her RE had her get her DHEA from a specific pharmacy. She never actually started a cycle because she ended up getting pregnant naturally during the third month she was taking the supplement. She didn't experience any adverse side effects but that may have been due to the fact that her levels were low to begin with.

Best of luck to you!

June 24th, 2012, 6:53 pm #6

Hi ladies,

I greatly appreciate your responses. This DHEA thing is making me more anxious than anything else!

I ordered the micronized version from Amazon but may just take a 25 mg at first to see if there are any side effects.

It seems like more people are having success while taking COQ10. Not sure if this is a coincidence but definitely seems less controversial.

Thanks again ladies! You all are great, as usual!!

June 24th, 2012, 6:54 pm #7

Hoping this is it for you! Re: DHEA, that is a LOT. For some people, that works well, and for others like me you go into menopausal symptoms (which I did at 50 dosage). I would start gradually and add up to 75. Good luck!
Did you ever have your levels tested, Jamie? n/t

Wren
Wren

June 25th, 2012, 4:58 am #8

I greatly appreciate your responses. This DHEA thing is making me more anxious than anything else!

I ordered the micronized version from Amazon but may just take a 25 mg at first to see if there are any side effects.

It seems like more people are having success while taking COQ10. Not sure if this is a coincidence but definitely seems less controversial.

Thanks again ladies! You all are great, as usual!!
I took DHEA for three months and had a natural pregnancy.

It is NOT for everyone and DO NOT take it on your own without a dr monitoring you. I started taking it on my own shortly before I met my RE, who does DHEA therapy and at that time was seeing a 50% natural pregnancy rate for youngish women with high FSH. He knew I was taking it and have only been on the store bought stuff for a couple weeks and so he wanted to get a baseline and then move me to a specific DHEA from a specific pharmacy. The nurse called me alarmed. She said my testosterone levels were the highest they had ever seen even more than their PCOS patients! This was from about 2 weeks on the best store bough stuff!

I had to stop taking it and let it out of my system for 4 weeks and then get a baseline test and start taking the RE approved DHEA. I did that and started taking it and on the day that should have been my day 3s for my first IVF I got a + test! BUT my RE monitored my levels of DHEA-s, free testosterone and estrogen weekly until
I reached therapeutic levels and no higher. Coincidentally it took me 3 days to reach therapeutic levels when it usually takes a week. I'm a fast converter. Who knew? Then they pulled back on the prescription and kept me on a slightly lower dose to ensure I didn't tip off the therapeutic levels.

So please be very careful. Too much testosterone or estrogen (your body could convert DHEA-s into either) is bad news for your eggs! Talk to your dr about monitoring you!

June 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm #9

Thanks for sharing your experience, Wren. This is why using DHEA makes me so nervous. The RN told me to order it through Amazon (which I did) but did not mention anything about getting a prescription or a specific brand. She just told me to get the micronized version. My DHEA level is low but is nothing significant so I might pass on it. At least for my first attempt at IVF. I was told to only take it until retrieval so that doesn't even seem like enough time to reap any kind of benefit. Or maybe I'm totally off here?

Thanks again!

Sara H
Sara H

June 26th, 2012, 1:18 pm #10

I'd be super careful, she had such great thoughts on this.

I will add that with this and any decision you make around TCC:

I would also try, and still do, to think about: What if I do this, how will I feel if there is a negative outcome? If I DON'T how will I feel?

In other words: Will you beat yourself up if this is not a successful cycle and you did not try it... or if you did? Either way you will have really considered it so hopefully you will feel good about your choice.

Does that make sense? For example: My DH and I did an IVF round, unsuccessfully, partly because we knew that, for us, if we got though all this and did not get pg and had not tried it we would always wonder and regret it. Then, we tried it, it was a failure, but we knew we had closed that door. For us we needed that. Make sense?

(Personally, I chose never to take DHEA but it was never prescribed to me, either. I would have been very leery, for exactly the reasons Wren is mentioning plus there can also, as I recall, be heart issues which already run in my family, so it was even clearer for me to pass. Do a search on the other board for DHEA and you'll find many similar discussions.)

Either way good luck to you!
Hugs,
Sara H