U/S not great..

U/S not great..

ajc
ajc

August 25th, 2012, 1:02 am #1

Hi again,

Today I am anywhere between 6 w and 6w4d and went in for my first u/s. The sac was so tiny, she put it at 5w4d and said she 'may' be seeing the yolk sac, but wasn't absolutely positive so I have to come back Tuesday to get an u/s with the U/s tech and high tech machine. The doc said that it's not bad that there's no h/b yet, but my thing is, we had sex 4wk and 2 days ago at the latest so I don't know why it's so small. Also, my beta was over 9k on Tuesday and has been doubling in approx 44 hours so if it kept that trend, I would think that I would be well over 20,000 by now.

I am trying to tell myself we just need to see it under the better machine to be sure and I've read that gest sacs can "catch up" and show h/b's in subsequent u/s. Also, I have a tilted uterus, could that make it harder to see at this stage? It looked so very small.

I'm really disappointed. I let myself have some hopes for the u/s - I thought it would at least be up to the right size, maybe with or w/o h/b, but definitely expected it to be at 6+ weeks. I guess the good news is that I have had worse first u/s (measuring small plus shaped wrong etc).

Thoughts?

August 25th, 2012, 1:54 am #2

To see things on the u/s. There's a website called "misdiagnosed miscarriage" that talks alot about tilted uteruses. Sorry you are going through this.

Laura
Laura

August 25th, 2012, 3:05 am #3

Hi again,

Today I am anywhere between 6 w and 6w4d and went in for my first u/s. The sac was so tiny, she put it at 5w4d and said she 'may' be seeing the yolk sac, but wasn't absolutely positive so I have to come back Tuesday to get an u/s with the U/s tech and high tech machine. The doc said that it's not bad that there's no h/b yet, but my thing is, we had sex 4wk and 2 days ago at the latest so I don't know why it's so small. Also, my beta was over 9k on Tuesday and has been doubling in approx 44 hours so if it kept that trend, I would think that I would be well over 20,000 by now.

I am trying to tell myself we just need to see it under the better machine to be sure and I've read that gest sacs can "catch up" and show h/b's in subsequent u/s. Also, I have a tilted uterus, could that make it harder to see at this stage? It looked so very small.

I'm really disappointed. I let myself have some hopes for the u/s - I thought it would at least be up to the right size, maybe with or w/o h/b, but definitely expected it to be at 6+ weeks. I guess the good news is that I have had worse first u/s (measuring small plus shaped wrong etc).

Thoughts?
Early u/s are often off by up to a week. Remember that the vast majority of pg women don't get u/s until 8 wk, and that's because it's hard to see. My 6wk u/s measured only 5w3d and I'm now 18 wk.

ajc
ajc

August 25th, 2012, 4:26 am #4

I so need the support, I appreciate it. I I love hearing similar stories that work out well! I just keep telling myself, "you had doubling betas and still have pg (though mild, but that's how it was with dd) symptoms etc". My very own daily affirmations! haha

I am not sure, but I think I may get another beta tomorrow. I know it may not double at this point, but I'm just looking for something that is not glaringly wrong. Anything but glaringly wrong may give me the hope to get through to Tuesday...

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

August 25th, 2012, 4:36 am #5

Hi again,

Thoughts?
i know that is easier said than done, but try to think positive. the tilted uterus can definitely skew U/S, and the website ekb88 recommended really has a lot to say about it that should give you some comfort. your not measuring that far behind and there is definitely still hope! but i know it is so scary. i'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. hang in there. will keep fingers crossed for you that tuesday brings you good news...
xox

teresa
teresa

August 25th, 2012, 1:08 pm #6

Hi again,

Thoughts?
When I had my first u/s at 5-6 ish weeks, the RE had made several (stupid) comments to me...this being one of them: "we would expect to see the yolk sac by now" My beta was almost 9000. I was so upset and scared, thinking I was going to lose ANOTHER pregnancy, but the FACT IS it's TOO EARLY and depending on it's placement, as well as the machine, you can't always see that yolk sac. Also, a few days in those early weeks can make ALL the difference in what is seen and unseen.

I will be 20 weeks pregnant on monday.

Have faith I KNOW how hard it is. I have been there.

Hugs

ZakiaZ
ZakiaZ

August 25th, 2012, 9:24 pm #7

Hi again,

Thoughts?
it's very early to see much of anything very clearly.

Z.

Ajc
Ajc

August 26th, 2012, 2:04 am #8

I hope so-not feeling super symptomatic today (though my pg w dd was also mild-I told myself it was the thanks I got for the IF struggle to get there-haha). I'm trying not to read into it since symptoms can come and go, but here I am wishing I had a good dose of m/s for reassurance.

I just can't resolve what should be high hcg correlating w a smaller sac and not much in it-although it did seem like there was a tiny smtg extending into the sac so maybe that was the yolk sac. Maybe you're right, just an old machine. They usually only scan 1st u/s in that office at 8-9 weeks-maybe that is just not a good enough machine for early u/s...hoping..

August 26th, 2012, 3:15 am #9

Hi again,

Thoughts?
and as the others have said, early u/s dates can be off. In the beginning, a couple of days can make all of the difference. I know the waiting is so difficult, but try to keep up the hope that all will be okay on Tuesday. It's also early for symptoms, so not having many doesn't mean anything at this point.

Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way! Hoping Tuesday comes quickly for you and brings you good news.

ajc
ajc

August 27th, 2012, 4:50 am #10

Thanks for the support and well wishes for tuesday, I so appreciate them. Tonight brought on the painful bb's (previously just felt heavy) so I guess I feel a little better about a new 'symptom' tonight. Funny what makes you feel reassured!