Tearing or Getting Cut

Tearing or Getting Cut

November 15th, 2011, 5:22 pm #1

Let me preface this by saying I am a total rookie when it comes to this childbirth, so this question might seem so awkward or just out there. I am reading my books as I grow by each month and getting in to the 3 tri. So, as I read about birthing plans, I would love not to have to get cut (I forget the proper term e something). However, I know this is something that has a high probability of happening. Is it better to just tear or allow the cuts? I am sure both hurt but I am thinking for overall which is easier to deal with pre and post.

Maru
Maru

November 15th, 2011, 5:24 pm #2

I also had this dilemma with my first. I had a c-section so I can offer very little help, but I can tell you from my friends the ones that got cut by the doctor had better recoveries than the ones that tear on their own. One of my friends tear so bad they had to spend almost an hour stitching her back up.

I've read so many different opinions on this matter it's good you're researching now, ask your doctor what he/she thinks too and especially good to know real life experiences and see what's worked better for others and why.

November 15th, 2011, 6:51 pm #3

Let me preface this by saying I am a total rookie when it comes to this childbirth, so this question might seem so awkward or just out there. I am reading my books as I grow by each month and getting in to the 3 tri. So, as I read about birthing plans, I would love not to have to get cut (I forget the proper term e something). However, I know this is something that has a high probability of happening. Is it better to just tear or allow the cuts? I am sure both hurt but I am thinking for overall which is easier to deal with pre and post.
Many times a doctor or hospital group will subscribe to one or the other based on latest research. When I delivered all 4 hospitals in my group were for no episiotomy. I suppose you can argue if your hospital had a policy. Either way, I didn't care - I wanted a healthy baby!! And I did tear - 3rd degree. It wasn't pleasant and 3 years later I still have some issues but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

November 15th, 2011, 6:52 pm #4

as to whether the docs should allow you to tear naturally or to perform an episiotomy. I tore with my first, and then the docs did the episiotomy, so I had both, LOL! Mine was pretty painful, but I know others who've said their tears/episiotomies didn't hurt that much.

I'm reading a PG book right now (Your PG, Week by Week, by C urtis and S chuler) with the following passage:

Recently, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommended restricted use of episiotomy rather than routine use. Research has shown that women who undergo episiotomies may feel more pain, take longer to heal, and be more likely to suffer serious lacerations near or through the rectum than women with vaginal tearing.

HOWEVER, the authors then state that in their opinion an episiotomy is a controlled straight, clean cut, which is better than a tear or rip that could go in many directions. They also say it heals better.

Two schools of thought. I'd ask your OB that his/her opinion is.

Smart to be thinking about this, though.

Hugs,
Meg

November 15th, 2011, 7:32 pm #5

Her feeling was if it were to get close, I would choose.
My instinct tells me a clean straight cut would be better....and trust me it scares me a lot.
To further complicate things...have had stitches on twice in my life and I have been allergic to both types.
She claims there is one other that is hypo allergenic (???) and we'll have to take it as it comes.
Good grief, not a comfortable place for them to 'not take'.
GL

anonymous
anonymous

November 15th, 2011, 7:53 pm #6

They can glue rather than stitch, I'd ask about that. (NT)

November 15th, 2011, 8:08 pm #7

I have never heard of it. I did inquire about staples in case of a c-sect....but really hoping I don't have to go that route.
I'll ask about the glue.

anonymous
anonymous

November 15th, 2011, 8:50 pm #8

they can check it on your skin very easily first so you will know what your reaction is BEFORE they put it somewhere sensitive!

Good Luck!

November 15th, 2011, 10:33 pm #9

That is super helpful.
I did ask if they might just put a few of these other stitches in me for a trial run. And she looked at me like I was crazy. I would rather know in advance...and glue sounds easier than stitches (or staples).

November 16th, 2011, 12:42 am #10

I have a friend who is due in a month and is pretty much obsessed with this subject. She was telling me that there are certain things that minimize tearing at all. Those are; not getting an epidural (guess you can feel when to time the pushing better), massaging the area the month or so before birth to get it more flexible, delivering in either a squat position or on your side.

I am not sure how much data behind these theories....but I'm gonna try them all!

Good luck!
E