so remember that fired OB? even more reason to have fired him

so remember that fired OB? even more reason to have fired him

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 24th, 2011, 11:04 pm #1

I got my medical records within about a week or so of me sending him the firing letter.

You may recall that I had posted a couple of months back that I had some mint green discharge but no symptoms otherwise and so I *didn't* think it was a yeast infection. I went to the OB anyway for a look and he swabbed me and the swab did show some little white clumps and he told me it was a yeast infection. I was surprised since I have had yeast infections in the past and know how it feels for me but relied on this visual. That day the OB sent the swab for culture for yeast, BV and gardnerella, and told me that I could let it resolve on it's own or start OTC yeast treatment.

I opted for doing the OTC treatment.

Guess what? When reviewing my medical records I see that the culture report shows I was NEGATIVE for everything. I know it's not a big deal to have done the OTC treament but I'd rather not have done anything at all. I was operating on the assumption that he knew what he was talking about based upon the visual inspection he did of my cervix when he swabbed me. Instead he should have considered that I had been on Crinone in prior months and that this could be some leftover Crinone build-up (as some of the board ladies had suggested) vs. an actual yeast infection. Further, he should have relayed to me the results of the culture at my following visit! Considering he told me I DID have a yeast infection it would have been nice to be told I really didn't have a yeast infection.

Also...

As part of my new OB visit, they drew a CBC panel and when the results came in the nurse at the new OB asks me if I'd already been diagnosed with having slight anemia or needing some extra iron. I tell her nope. No problem - they issue me some iron supplements.

When I reviewed the medical records from the old OB, and see the results from the CBC he drew, OF COURSE, there in plain sight, the lab has the asterisks next to results for my RBC and hemoglobin and whatever else which are clearly flagged for being under the normal range. Do you think jerk OB could have bothered to tell me to take some iron supplements?! Such a simple thing!

And then this tops the cake...

The chart notes for the visit for the yeast infection...he indicates that "patient now has bleeding." OMG!!!! are you kidding me??? I have never ever at any point in this PG have had any bleeding or spotting; not a pin drop's worth. TOTAL JACKASS.

Sch1star
Sch1star

June 24th, 2011, 11:11 pm #2

Nothing like a lot of validation! What a jerk! Glad you lost him. Jeez, I feel like his incompetence is on the order of you dodged a bullet. Just glad you and baby are fine and in good care now!

Also, it would be a shame if I'd had to go down there and slash his tires, then ended up having to deliver in prison. Phew! Thanks for saving me!

Katie
Katie

June 24th, 2011, 11:22 pm #3

I got my medical records within about a week or so of me sending him the firing letter.

You may recall that I had posted a couple of months back that I had some mint green discharge but no symptoms otherwise and so I *didn't* think it was a yeast infection. I went to the OB anyway for a look and he swabbed me and the swab did show some little white clumps and he told me it was a yeast infection. I was surprised since I have had yeast infections in the past and know how it feels for me but relied on this visual. That day the OB sent the swab for culture for yeast, BV and gardnerella, and told me that I could let it resolve on it's own or start OTC yeast treatment.

Guess what? When reviewing my medical records I see that the culture report shows I was NEGATIVE for everything. I know it's not a big deal to have done the OTC treament but I'd rather not have done anything at all. I was operating on the assumption that he knew what he was talking about based upon the visual inspection he did of my cervix when he swabbed me. Instead he should have considered that I had been on Crinone in prior months and that this could be some leftover Crinone build-up (as some of the board ladies had suggested) vs. an actual yeast infection. Further, he should have relayed to me the results of the culture at my following visit! Considering he told me I DID have a yeast infection it would have been nice to be told I really didn't have a yeast infection.

Also...

As part of my new OB visit, they drew a CBC panel and when the results came in the nurse at the new OB asks me if I'd already been diagnosed with having slight anemia or needing some extra iron. I tell her nope. No problem - they issue me some iron supplements.

When I reviewed the medical records from the old OB, and see the results from the CBC he drew, OF COURSE, there in plain sight, the lab has the asterisks next to results for my RBC and hemoglobin and whatever else which are clearly flagged for being under the normal range. Do you think jerk OB could have bothered to tell me to take some iron supplements?! Such a simple thing!

The chart notes for the visit for the yeast infection...he indicates that "patient now has bleeding." OMG!!!! are you kidding me??? I have never ever at any point in this PG have had any bleeding or spotting; not a pin drop's worth. TOTAL JACKASS.
I really feel like so many docs just assume that women with IF that have a lot of questions are crazy and that they should be given as little information as possible. But honestly, yours sounded like he was on that kind of an ego trip but also incompetent!
Btw, LOVED your firing letter!! He is unlikely to forget that one!!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 24th, 2011, 11:22 pm #4

Nothing like a lot of validation! What a jerk! Glad you lost him. Jeez, I feel like his incompetence is on the order of you dodged a bullet. Just glad you and baby are fine and in good care now!

Also, it would be a shame if I'd had to go down there and slash his tires, then ended up having to deliver in prison. Phew! Thanks for saving me!
after being caught throwing eggs (or a brick) at his office!

I have to pass his office often and whenever I do I make sure to give the office the middle finger and shout out "F&^% YOU, (dr. last name here)!" I also make DH to do it every time too if he's with me. I've put him on notice that he has to do it even if I'm not around.

I'm also pretty close to purchasing a custom onesie that has the same shout out.

And I'd love to take a pic of the baby wearing it and send it to him!

If you get the July issue of Pregnancy & Newborn there's an article in there which mentions about being your own advocate with the doctor and feeling free to walk away if you need to. AMEN!!

June 25th, 2011, 1:22 am #5

Also...

Sheesh, you said it, what a jack@ss. To not treat you for low iron is inexcusable! What kind of doctor does that??

The bleeding documentation is just weird. Maybe when he swabbed you he irritated your cervix and saw spotting? Or, maybe he had you confused w/ someone else. How odd.

So glad you sent him packing!

Hugs,
Meg

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 25th, 2011, 2:19 pm #6

I really feel like so many docs just assume that women with IF that have a lot of questions are crazy and that they should be given as little information as possible. But honestly, yours sounded like he was on that kind of an ego trip but also incompetent!
Btw, LOVED your firing letter!! He is unlikely to forget that one!!
I never thought of him as incompetent when he was my GYN. BUT the more I reflect, the more some things are seen in a newer light and I do recall one incident where he couldn't resolve my vaginal issue and I had to go back to me old GYN to get it finally resolved (and the solution was so simple!).

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 25th, 2011, 2:27 pm #7

Sheesh, you said it, what a jack@ss. To not treat you for low iron is inexcusable! What kind of doctor does that??

The bleeding documentation is just weird. Maybe when he swabbed you he irritated your cervix and saw spotting? Or, maybe he had you confused w/ someone else. How odd.

So glad you sent him packing!

Hugs,
Meg
so I didn't yet have my records when I went to the new OB and we didn't discuss these particular things but how foolish would I look if I tell him I've never had low iron, I've never had any bleeding but I did have a yeast infection. One look at my records and things wouldn't add up. I was annoyed with just these few things that you think I'd look at the rest of the file closer but I gave up. In good hands with the new OB.