Question for people who already have a child who was born with ICSI

Question for people who already have a child who was born with ICSI

anonymous
anonymous

November 5th, 2011, 6:50 pm #1

Hi there! This is a question that I would post to the play group however that is only for people who are already parents.

Basically, I wanted to ask about experiences with ICSI. If you used it and it worked, how do you feel about it? I am worried that it sounds so invasive and just want to know if anybody had similar reservations. I have one friend who used it and she was very grateful with the whole process and is of course in love with her son. But I am just worried about how invasive the procedure sounds and would love to hear any thoughts.... thanks..

Cheryl in CO
Cheryl in CO

November 5th, 2011, 7:35 pm #2

Hi -

We did ICSI for our IVF and have a happy, healthy, 4 year old boy as a result My RE was pretty insistent with doing ICSI for patients over 35 (I was 39), and it pretty much was the policy for the clinic. Apparently the shell around the egg can get harder for sperm to penetrate in "older" women. I wasn't thrilled with the idea at first but I knew that I didn't want to go through retrieval and end up having eggs that didn't fertilize & have nothing to transfer. It ended up being the right decision for us.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

anonymous
anonymous

November 5th, 2011, 8:53 pm #3

Thank you Cheryl, I really appreciate your response. I am so glad that your journey ended with your happy child. ICSI sounded strange to me at first just because it is so weird to think that the egg and sperm are put together by a person. But I basically got over my reservations about that. However then I heard of all these aspects of the process - for example that the sperm has to first be paralyzed with a substance otherwise nobody can catch it. All of this manipulation started to concern me, and your message is lovely to read.

anonymous
anonymous

November 5th, 2011, 8:55 pm #4

I think I edited my last sentence wrong. I meant that this manipulation started to concern me so I was looking to see how all this translates into real life... and that is why your story is reassuring and good to read. thanks again.

Jamie
Jamie

November 5th, 2011, 9:33 pm #5

Hi there! This is a question that I would post to the play group however that is only for people who are already parents.

Basically, I wanted to ask about experiences with ICSI. If you used it and it worked, how do you feel about it? I am worried that it sounds so invasive and just want to know if anybody had similar reservations. I have one friend who used it and she was very grateful with the whole process and is of course in love with her son. But I am just worried about how invasive the procedure sounds and would love to hear any thoughts.... thanks..
I thank heavens ICSI exists because with my antisperm antibodies paired with my husband's low morphology who knows if we could have natural fertilization.

I think that as long as the lab knows what they are doing there should be no concerns. They do "force" a fertilization, but if the chromosomes are normal all should be well. I can tell you that my daughter is large for her age, completely healthy, and seems quite advanced (not just mom bragging, , but other people have noticed it too. However, she did have an extra 10 days gestation which I think helps). Overall, I felt the same way but I'm really glad that our doc used ICSI.

Kristen
Kristen

November 5th, 2011, 11:22 pm #6

We did ICSI and have an amazing 21 month old DS. He is adorable, very smart, and has hit every milestone. Some days he looks just like me and other days, he looks just like my DH. He seems to have the best both of our qualities and is just perfect to us. When I was going through it, I had a passing thought about not doing ICSI, but my RE recommended it and I trusted him, so that was pretty much the bottom line. Who knows what would have happened otherwise, but I am very thankful that I have my DS. I am now pg again, but this time naturally, and think it will be very interesting to see if the process of natural selection is drastically different.

Wish you the best...

Kristen

Hadas
Hadas

November 5th, 2011, 11:31 pm #7

Hi,
The same goes for my clinic... it's basically standard procedure if you have less than X eggs retrieved (whatever that number is). I was annoyed the with my first IVF when they told me after the fact that they did ICSI mostly because I was upset at what it implied... that my DH's sperm and my eggs couldn't do it on their own. After I asked, though, they explained that they don't want to risk not having fertilization take place with a small number of eggs, so they did ICSI. That IVF ended in a chemical with a couple of frozen embryos left. We did a 2nd IVF with ICSI and at that point, I didn't question it. Our amazing DD, now 2, was born as a result!

It's amazing what they can do today. I know, it all sounds very science fiction, but if you can get past that point, you'll see that there are so many success stories thanks to ICSI.

Good luck!!

lucy999
lucy999

November 6th, 2011, 4:25 am #8

and we did icsi. No issues.

Alli
Alli

November 6th, 2011, 3:07 pm #9

My RE only does ICSI. He said he sees far better results with it.

Whitney
Whitney

November 6th, 2011, 6:02 pm #10

My twins were ICSI