Question for gone_fshn

Question for gone_fshn

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 25th, 2011, 1:06 pm #1

I am doing IVF with Dr. Check next month. My stats are not far off from yours, although a bit worse - I'm 40.3, FSH 18. Can you explain a little more about your protocol to me, if you don't mind. What drugs and dosage? Congrats on your baby! And were you out of town? Do you have any tips about Cooper? Thank you so much, in advance.

gone_fshn
gone_fshn

January 25th, 2011, 1:25 pm #2

Hi,

I did 150 Menopur and 150 Bravelle starting on CD3 til CD 11, adding Cetrotide on CD 7. We did egg retrieval on CD12. We got 3 eggs, all of which fertilized, and made it to transfer day. However, on transfer day, one embryo was starting to disintegrate so we transferred two. Got my BFP 14 DP retrieval, confirmed via Cooper blood test the following day! I should also note that I took 800 mg of COQ10, 400 COQ10 and 400 Ubiquinol, split taken 2x/day. I did that for about 5-6 weeks prior to my successful cycle, so not sure if it really had time to take effect but I feel it may have helped.

I did my monitoring at Cooper, as I live about an hour away. If I could give you advice about Cooper, it would be definitely stay on top of them and on top of your case. I found them to pretty well organized in my case but others have not always had that experience. I think it may have helped that I did all my monitoring there.

Hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck to you!

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 25th, 2011, 2:17 pm #3

I am in NYC, so I can't do monitoring there. It's really tough. I feel like the last two cycles, I really called the shots on an IUI and TI. I have male factor too, and it's so disorganized getting answers about what to do about it, that I think I will no longer work with them in between IVF cycles. I will do IVF with them, but that's it. In between, I'm going to see someone local. I cannot stand that I don't get to talk to Dr Check. I know I can get on the call list, but it's just not enough. But, I do want to do the IVF with them. I have total faith in them, it's just hard being out of town.

I have also been talking CoQ10, 800, but straight Co Q10. And DHEA and acupuncture. My FSH came down to 11 this month, so I'm hopeful it will come down or not rise for my IVF. I'm wondering if I should get the ubiquinol. I probably will. So you did 1 pill of 400 CoQ10 a day, and another at a separate time of ubiquiinol? I have been taking it for months already! I should have great eggs!! I do believe it makes a big difference, but I have to say, IMHO, my FSH did not budge until I added DHEA.

Did Dr. Brazile do your retrieval and transfer? I went down for the mock transfer and she had a hard time with me, but took notes. So glad I went, as when she saw me, she said if she knew I was from NY, she wouldn't have had me come, but then she had a hard time, so I'm glad I did. My sister lives 3 miles away, so I'm lucky about that.

Anyway.. I hope you don't mind if I ask you questions, if they come up. I'm so worried about my age, I'm making myself sick. And the out of town monitoring is really taking it's toll. I hope I can stick it out with them. Thanks so much, and again, congrats to you.

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 25th, 2011, 3:06 pm #4

Hi,

I did 150 Menopur and 150 Bravelle starting on CD3 til CD 11, adding Cetrotide on CD 7. We did egg retrieval on CD12. We got 3 eggs, all of which fertilized, and made it to transfer day. However, on transfer day, one embryo was starting to disintegrate so we transferred two. Got my BFP 14 DP retrieval, confirmed via Cooper blood test the following day! I should also note that I took 800 mg of COQ10, 400 COQ10 and 400 Ubiquinol, split taken 2x/day. I did that for about 5-6 weeks prior to my successful cycle, so not sure if it really had time to take effect but I feel it may have helped.

I did my monitoring at Cooper, as I live about an hour away. If I could give you advice about Cooper, it would be definitely stay on top of them and on top of your case. I found them to pretty well organized in my case but others have not always had that experience. I think it may have helped that I did all my monitoring there.

Hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck to you!
Did you do anything about diet? Cut out wheat/dairy?? Please say no (ha!)...

gone_fshn
gone_fshn

January 25th, 2011, 3:59 pm #5

Nothing too drastic as far as dietary. I did cut down on wheat and alcohol, and eliminated caffeine, did not adjust dairy at all (I love cheese way too much!).

For COQ10, I did 400 straight COQ10 (200 mg 2x day) and 400 Ubiquinol (200 mg 2x/day) - basically meant I did 200 COQ10 and 200 Ubiquinol with breakfast and dinner. Everyone is different though, there are women here who swear by COQ10 and others who haven't found it worked.

As far as DHEA, again everyone is different - some swear by it, for me it was a disaster. After 3 months on DHEA (April - July), my AFC went from 9 to 4 - Dr. Check speculated it could have been due to the DHEA. My FSH measured a bit lower, but not worth the hit to AFC in my opinion.

A note on AFC, on my successful cycle I started with 5 AFC to get 3 eggs on retrieval and 2 embryos to transfer (PG with one baby)

It is frustrating to not be able to speak easily with Dr. Check, I found Dr. Brasile to be quite helpful though.

Not sure if I mentioned we also did an IVF at Cooper in July that resulted in BFN. For both of my IVF attempts at Cooper, Dr. Choe did my retrieval and Dr. Brasile did my transfer.

Always happy to help so feel free to ask anything you want!

Jamie
Jamie

January 25th, 2011, 4:13 pm #6

I had the same experience as fshn--on DHEA my antral follicle count went from 9 to 2.

However, I am a HUGE believer in CoQ10, took exactly what fshn did, and had excellent egg quality after I started taking it. Before I took it my eggs were nothing to write home about.

Good luck!

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 25th, 2011, 4:23 pm #7

I have my theories why it works for some and not others, and so far have no reason to believe it's bad for me. My AFC is low to begin with (actually - no one ever seems to tell me - because I think it's about 3). I tested my DHEA level and it was very low. I feel so much better on it and was under chronic stress for years (which lowers DHEA). If I find evidence to stop, as you both did, of course I will. But, currently, I'm still on it. I really hope the CoQ10 helps - I've been on it for about 4 months at 800 a day. Expensive!! I also take pycnogenol and resveratrol. So expensive!! Oh, had either of you tested your DHEA prior to taking it? Under 40 it really isn't recommended anyway. I'm 40.

Jamie
Jamie

January 25th, 2011, 4:33 pm #8

and it was low, so I took it.

I initially took 25mg and felt better on it. Then I tried to bump up to 37.5mg, and all hell broke loose. Hot flashes, low AFC, couldn't stim, just a mess.

It took me some intense chinese herbs and about 3-4 weeks to clear it out of my system. I think it can be a wonder drug for some, but just be super careful. If you start having menopausal symptoms discontinue immediately.

The CoQ10/Ubiquinol is expensive but compared to IVF it's a drop in the bucket and I truly believe it helped me.

Good luck!

gone_fshn
gone_fshn

January 25th, 2011, 5:03 pm #9

I have my theories why it works for some and not others, and so far have no reason to believe it's bad for me. My AFC is low to begin with (actually - no one ever seems to tell me - because I think it's about 3). I tested my DHEA level and it was very low. I feel so much better on it and was under chronic stress for years (which lowers DHEA). If I find evidence to stop, as you both did, of course I will. But, currently, I'm still on it. I really hope the CoQ10 helps - I've been on it for about 4 months at 800 a day. Expensive!! I also take pycnogenol and resveratrol. So expensive!! Oh, had either of you tested your DHEA prior to taking it? Under 40 it really isn't recommended anyway. I'm 40.
...so I can't speak to that - started taking DHEA on advise of my then-dr. at RMA. I actually felt good (improved energy levels and ability to focus) on 75 mg/day, so had no clue anything was wrong until the AFC count came back....

Wren
Wren

January 25th, 2011, 5:15 pm #10

For some reason, some women respond differently to DHEA than others. Jamie had a tough time on it. I did not. In fact, I was doing DHEA therapy with my RE who has a 50% success rate with his DHEA therapy in natural pregnancies! I was one of his success stories one month before a scheduled IVF!

Of course, he only uses one kind of DHEA from one pharmacy and that's helped him control the wild levels that DHEA can cause when we just go out and buy it at a store. So maybe that's a difference?

Anyway, it works for some, not for others. Oh, and I was 33 when I was taking it. Age may have something to do with it too.