prenatal screening

prenatal screening

July 31st, 2012, 5:25 pm #1

Just back from my appointment with my OB. He'd never heard of the materniT21 test, but he googled it and is going to find out whether it's even available in our area. (Not too impressed with this practice--they also refused to test my progesterone, saying they might consider it only if I have 2 or more miscarriages. At age 38, after a year of trying to conceive?!?) The standard test they offer is the quad blood screening test, which is only 75% accurate, or amnio--which I don't want to consider because of the risk of miscarriage. I'm not too happy with the options.

For those of you who have had the MaterniT21, how much did it cost, and did anyone's insurance pick up the tab?

Best,
Katherine

Teresa
Teresa

July 31st, 2012, 5:43 pm #2

It is a really new test. Where do you live again?

When we sat with the GC...she asked us what type insurance we have. Ours is a Direct POS..which meant $475 that had to be paid in full that day, before the test was done. Some people depending on insurance, pay 235...(For some reason I think someone on here did pay 235).

Interestingly, I happened to call our GC today and she gave me the # to Sequenom...after speaking with them I was delighted to find out we may be reimbursed for this test after all, it just may take some time.

For me, it was worth every penny. For me, doing any invasive testing that could have cost my pregnancy, wasn't worth it. I am BEYOND grateful for this test being available, and that I didn't have to do CVS or Amnio.

I wish you GREAT LUCK...btw, that quad blood screening... If you do the MaterniT21 test...it won't have any bearing but they will still suggest you have the Alfa FetoProtein test done. Update when you can-

Sara H
Sara H

July 31st, 2012, 5:55 pm #3

Just back from my appointment with my OB. He'd never heard of the materniT21 test, but he googled it and is going to find out whether it's even available in our area. (Not too impressed with this practice--they also refused to test my progesterone, saying they might consider it only if I have 2 or more miscarriages. At age 38, after a year of trying to conceive?!?) The standard test they offer is the quad blood screening test, which is only 75% accurate, or amnio--which I don't want to consider because of the risk of miscarriage. I'm not too happy with the options.

For those of you who have had the MaterniT21, how much did it cost, and did anyone's insurance pick up the tab?

Best,
Katherine
they have never heard of MaterniT21 AND they are iffy about progesterone testing? If you have the option I'd look for a new dr., honestly.

My Dr. said that she was iffy on the MaterniT21 becuase they have a high-ish rate of false positives and then you end of getting amnio anyway but have wasted time and money. But, that is IF you get a positive. And, she was down on it for me since my odds were very very low anyway and she felt it was not worth it. Again, for me with my history. However, for the peace of mind it might bring in this situation I would seriously consider it.

So, things to consider!

And any genetic councilor should absolutely have the details on it for you!

Good luck and hugs!
Sara H

July 31st, 2012, 6:08 pm #4

We're in Utica/New Hartford NY, right in the middle of nowhere--this practice is supposed to be the best in town (I've only heard worse things about the others), and anyone else who gets good reviews is a 1-2 hour drive away. They managed to get my first daughter into the world safely, so I suppose I'll stick with them for now--but yeah, I don't have total confidence, so I'm always second-guessing them.

I'll try to get through to the company who offers the materniT21 test, and see what the financing options are--that is, if it's even available around here!

K.

MargieD
MargieD

July 31st, 2012, 9:05 pm #5

Would it be possible to work with the OOT OB to get the prenatal testing you need and then do the delivery locally??

After all - people switch OBs all the time...

July 31st, 2012, 11:57 pm #6

Best,
Katherine
Hi Katherine,
I had the MaterniT21 test and was quite pleased with its accuracy and no risk factor. My results were reported in 7 days and the perinatal doctor who performed the test said she had no experiences of false positives in her practice with this test. I have the highest level of blue cross blue shield PPO and my portion of financial responsibiility was $235, the doctor''s office said this was as good as the coverage got that they knew of in my area. However, to avoid the miscarriage risks of amino for my twin pregnancy (2 needle samples) I felt any price was worth the babies' safety. Good luck with your decision, I know it is a hard one to make.

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

August 1st, 2012, 3:22 pm #7

Best,
Katherine
you can't order the test directly yourself, but i'm guessing your OB will order for you if you insist? i paid $235 out of pocket to get the materniT21 test. there are also a couple of other companies that do the same test (verify and aria). if you are sure you don't want invasive testing (CVS or amnio) then i think this is an amazing alternative. i did have some problems with the testing myself (you can search below for the posts), but i still think it is great and would do it again.
good luck!

Katherine
Katherine

August 2nd, 2012, 1:15 am #8

Best,
Katherine
So. my OB says that the test isn't available in our area--the local lab won't do it, and neither will the big prenatal care center an hour away in Syracuse. So no test, I suppose. . . I may call around to see if any other OBs in the area have heard of it. Might try with my primary care doc, as well. Sigh. What I wouldn't do sometimes to live in a proper city. . .

Katherine

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

August 2nd, 2012, 4:33 am #9

from my research i thought the test was basically available anywhere in the US. the ariosa harmony test is done through labcorp and their website says they need two tubes of blood, nothing special/no special processing. if you really want the test, you might push back and demand it. the problem is, you can't order it yourself, but i'm pretty sure any doc ought to be able to get it ordered for you. maybe i'm wrong, but don't give up if you want it. maybe you can be the one to help your doc get with the program! sorry for the frustration and good luck...