Pregnancy hives? (scratch, scratch...)

Pregnancy hives? (scratch, scratch...)

smrc
smrc

July 6th, 2012, 2:44 am #1

Over the past 3 weeks (and interestingly as and after I tapered off p4), I have developed itching and redness, which is slowly becoming hives. Mainly on my arms, hands and feet. At first I thought this was from my stretching body or the crazy heat here in NYC, but no, these just appear to be hives.

Very worried these are just going to keep getting worse and worse.

Did go see my dr. today who told me I could take claritin or benadryl if needed.

Anybody else have hives during pg??!

Thanks!! And argh!

SMRC

Laura
Laura

July 6th, 2012, 3:07 am #2

I don't have hives but I do have eczema so my skin crawls constantly. Avoid scented soaps and lotions and apply aloe to the rash. It could be aggravated by the heat, since hot humid air can trap a lot of irritants close to the ground. It makes sense that weaning from progesterone would bring this out, since it's a steroid and steroids control inflammation. However, you shouldn't use topical steroid creams, since most are at least cat c meds.

Teresa
Teresa

July 6th, 2012, 9:41 am #3

Over the past 3 weeks (and interestingly as and after I tapered off p4), I have developed itching and redness, which is slowly becoming hives. Mainly on my arms, hands and feet. At first I thought this was from my stretching body or the crazy heat here in NYC, but no, these just appear to be hives.

Did go see my dr. today who told me I could take claritin or benadryl if needed.

Thanks!! And argh!

SMRC

I wrote back below but just in case, wanted to leave you a note here too. I'm sorry this is happening, especially in this heat, as if that isn't bad enough!

The Aveeno Oatmeal Bar is really, really soothing on itchy skin. It saved my life when I had a skin reaction/itchy welts a few years ago.

Stay cool and I hope they go away soon!

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

July 6th, 2012, 3:21 pm #4

Thanks!! And argh!

SMRC

I don't know anything about rashes during pregnancy. However, I recently had a rash on my chest that was very itchy and irritated for days, then over a week. It interfered with sleeping. I was in the luteal phase and did not want to take anything orally unless necessary. The pharmacist suggested a bottle of spray-on benadryl which won't have the drug get too much into your bloodstream. It worked for me beautifully! Itchiness went away! This is after trying hydorcorstisol cream and other OTC treatments. Just a couple of days and it got better.

I don't know if this will work for you. It might depend on whether the allergen is internal (like something you ate) or external. YOu could also look at food sensitivities.

Good luck!

July 6th, 2012, 6:07 pm #5

Thanks!! And argh!

SMRC

Have you ever heard of this?
http://www.babycenter.com/0_itchy-skin- ... cy_9450.bc

It's more common with moms of multiples so have read about it.
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

July 6th, 2012, 6:45 pm #6

Thanks!! And argh!

SMRC

Hi SMRC, sorry about the itchy hives. I'm in Texas and know the unbearable heat is all too consuming. Try keeping cool and dry. Sending you hopes of a cool front and reduced hives Hang in there!

Ashley
Ashley

July 7th, 2012, 2:18 am #7

Thanks!! And argh!

SMRC

Hi,

I had them when I was pregnant with my son. I had them end of first and second trimesters. What worked for me was the tea tree oil and AVeeno anti ich lotion. They can be really annoying. Funny thing is I recently had them as a Sid effect of P4.

Good luck

smrc
smrc

July 7th, 2012, 1:31 pm #8

I don't know anything about rashes during pregnancy. However, I recently had a rash on my chest that was very itchy and irritated for days, then over a week. It interfered with sleeping. I was in the luteal phase and did not want to take anything orally unless necessary. The pharmacist suggested a bottle of spray-on benadryl which won't have the drug get too much into your bloodstream. It worked for me beautifully! Itchiness went away! This is after trying hydorcorstisol cream and other OTC treatments. Just a couple of days and it got better.

I don't know if this will work for you. It might depend on whether the allergen is internal (like something you ate) or external. YOu could also look at food sensitivities.

Good luck!
the spray-on benadryl was something I saw when I was up in Canada last weekend and it seemed like a good place to start - I haven't resorted to antihistamines yet, but may have to start soon to preserve my sanity. The itching can be really uncomfortable. Thanks again!

smrc
smrc

July 7th, 2012, 1:33 pm #9

I don't have hives but I do have eczema so my skin crawls constantly. Avoid scented soaps and lotions and apply aloe to the rash. It could be aggravated by the heat, since hot humid air can trap a lot of irritants close to the ground. It makes sense that weaning from progesterone would bring this out, since it's a steroid and steroids control inflammation. However, you shouldn't use topical steroid creams, since most are at least cat c meds.
thanks for your post and the information about p4. I had no idea it acted as a steroid - the timing of the hives with the p4 weaning now seems to make sense. I'm hoping my hormone levels will settle and the hives will improve. Thanks again!

smrc
smrc

July 7th, 2012, 1:38 pm #10

Hi,

I had them when I was pregnant with my son. I had them end of first and second trimesters. What worked for me was the tea tree oil and AVeeno anti ich lotion. They can be really annoying. Funny thing is I recently had them as a Sid effect of P4.

Good luck
letting me know you had them too - good to know I'm not alone I will try the tea tree oil and Aveeno lotion before I resort to antihistamines. I really appreciate these tips!