Note to Laura*

Note to Laura*

Sara H
Sara H

June 30th, 2012, 10:16 pm #1

I saw what you mentioned below about Brackton Hick and what you had written to me a few weeks ago on the subject and wanted you to know I took it very seriously.

My BH had been continuing, off and on, over the last few weeks. On Wednesday they got bad, one every 10 minutes then every 5. I lay down, drank water... no help. So, I went to hospital.

Well, I was really really badly dehydrated. And I had NO idea! I had been drinking plenty, I thought, but my body did not agree. So, in I went. While they monitored me I got down to 2 minutes apart but no dilation of any sort and my cervix was still 3.9. So, they made me drink a STUPID amount of water, which helped a bit, and then they gave me drug to ease my "cranky uterus". (Their words, not mine! )

That did a great job fixing things and they sent me home an hour later.

So, all is well but they said they were very happy I came in and that this was something I needed to be aware of. (So, add that to my list!) I have been FORCING tons of water and all has been well since.

I just wanted to you to know that I totally saw what you wrote and took it seriously and am very grateful!

All well here! 31 weeks and counting!
Thanks!
Sara H

Laura
Laura

July 1st, 2012, 3:01 am #2

I'm so happy that you found my advice useful. I always feel like people are sick of reading my preemie story, but I just felt so lost once I knew what was actually happening. Preemie account for 11% of all births in the US but nobody talks about it! My first scare at 28 wk wasn't even bc of BH contractions, I had severe back pain and it turned out to be back labor. If I hadn't gone to the hospital for it (and it was Christmas day so I kept saying I'll wait until tomorrow) I might have ended up with a 28 wk preemie, which is a much more hectic and uncertain situation than the 34 wker I had. (who is in the 95th percentile of 2 yos I might add)

Did they give you nifedipine? Ugh. That stuff is awful. I hope it didn't make you feel too bad!

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

July 1st, 2012, 5:03 pm #3

I saw what you mentioned below about Brackton Hick and what you had written to me a few weeks ago on the subject and wanted you to know I took it very seriously.

My BH had been continuing, off and on, over the last few weeks. On Wednesday they got bad, one every 10 minutes then every 5. I lay down, drank water... no help. So, I went to hospital.

Well, I was really really badly dehydrated. And I had NO idea! I had been drinking plenty, I thought, but my body did not agree. So, in I went. While they monitored me I got down to 2 minutes apart but no dilation of any sort and my cervix was still 3.9. So, they made me drink a STUPID amount of water, which helped a bit, and then they gave me drug to ease my "cranky uterus". (Their words, not mine! )

So, all is well but they said they were very happy I came in and that this was something I needed to be aware of. (So, add that to my list!) I have been FORCING tons of water and all has been well since.

I just wanted to you to know that I totally saw what you wrote and took it seriously and am very grateful!

Thanks!
Sara H
hi sara.
i was actually going to post today to ask you about why you said drinking so much water was so important. i didn't realize you were having trouble with the braxton hicks and can't believe you had to go the hospital. that is scary. i'm so sorry! but happy for you that everything is okay. hang in there, and thanks for the reminder to drink more water. bottoms up

Sara H
Sara H

July 2nd, 2012, 12:52 am #4

I think the amount is individual to each person.
They say "Aim for eight 8-ounce glasses per day (64 fluid ounces) of fluid, plus one 8-ounce cup for each hour of light activity."

But I seem to need about 90 ounces or more. EEKK! I don't know why, maybe the diabetes? I do worry that all the water is flushing out some nutrition I need but I seem to need the water more so... hopefully it balances?

Yes, it was scary but equally I was worried I was going in for no reason, you know, that suddenly they would stop and I'd feel dumb? But, in addition to what Laura had written, I had chatted with my Dr. and she said, "Just go! If in doubt, GO! What do you care if they think you are being silly? Better to go and find out then regret not going!"

So I did and I am very glad!

Lesson: Drink TONS of water and better to go to hospital if you feel something odd/strange/off than not to!

Good luck to you!
Sara H

anna
anna

July 2nd, 2012, 5:36 am #5

I am so sorry for what you had to go thru, I am sure you were scared. But I am very happy things are all right now. 9 more weeks to go. You are almost there Sara

Alli
Alli

July 2nd, 2012, 2:10 pm #6

They say "Aim for eight 8-ounce glasses per day (64 fluid ounces) of fluid, plus one 8-ounce cup for each hour of light activity."

But I seem to need about 90 ounces or more. EEKK! I don't know why, maybe the diabetes? I do worry that all the water is flushing out some nutrition I need but I seem to need the water more so... hopefully it balances?

Yes, it was scary but equally I was worried I was going in for no reason, you know, that suddenly they would stop and I'd feel dumb? But, in addition to what Laura had written, I had chatted with my Dr. and she said, "Just go! If in doubt, GO! What do you care if they think you are being silly? Better to go and find out then regret not going!"

Lesson: Drink TONS of water and better to go to hospital if you feel something odd/strange/off than not to!

Good luck to you!
Sara H
It's been 105+ here all weekend!! Aaah. I've been dizzy if I don't drink tons. At least we have power

Laura
Laura

July 2nd, 2012, 9:04 pm #7

Good luck to you!
Sara H
I didn't have GD but they told me I needed that much. It's almost a gallon!

I'm sorry you had such a scare but I'm glad that it got resolved quickly! They wouldn't let me drink when I got to the hospital so I had to wait there several hours for the IV to finish. And yes, better to err on the side of caution with this stuff.

I hope you are feeling better and your uterus has calmed down a bit.

July 3rd, 2012, 12:07 am #8

Thanks!
Sara H
Hi Sara,
Sorry you had to go through this experience but thanks for sharing. I had no idea dehydration could cause BH. I am definitely upping the water consumption with the heat but have one more reason to be super conscious about it. Glad to see you are feeling better.