jitters

jitters

sch1star
sch1star

March 24th, 2011, 1:56 am #1

I had one totally blissful day of no worries for which I will always be grateful! I didn't even pee on a stick to analyze shades! Now it's time to worry again.

This is good training right? lol!

So tomorrow is beta 2. The magic number is 302. The betabase says the avg doubling time on file for my starting point is 38+hours. So I have to make sure I'm not early...yet not so late that I have to wait till Friday for results!

If it's not exactly double...since doubling time is technically 48-72h...how concerned do we get?

I made a WTF appt with my RE during the 2ww, and didn't cancel it. It's tomorrow. I'm preparing a bunch of questions...including cycle review, and then I want to cover what happens if we m/c (and the chances of that given the first betas...right now I'm under the impression the rate is almost 80% (I'm 41.2)...right?), and what monitoring will be needed and when if we proceed to graduation. So far I only know there would be a third beta - I'm not sure when the u/s are. Do you have any "I wish I'd asked" questions that I should make a note of?

I have questions on restrictions too. I have been on low exercise and I don't know when that can stop. I don't plan to ride the horses or run a marathon but I want to know when it's safe to move around more. Any advice?

I'm reluctant to follow general guidelines because of IVF kind of being its own animal at this stage of the game.

The other thing is...I would like to believe I have a good starting beta...but what if it isn't a strong singleton beta but a weak twin beta? Will I only know that before u/s by wonky HCG levels?

Thanks. I had a day to breathe so I really should not complain, but hope is a strange, scary thing.

xoxo

March 24th, 2011, 11:20 am #2

IVF baby or not... you SHOULD have the same restrictions as a normal pregnancy.... BUT... I agree - much much much easier said than done...

DD was an IVF baby. Prior to having her, I was running 6-7 miles a day, 5 days a week. (You also remember that she was a low grade embie after 3 days in the dish....) It took me a LONG time to feel comfortable about the pregnancy. Let's see.... when I was about two months pregnant, my sister who did not have fertility problems miscarried on my birthday at 20 weeks. Hmmm... about a month later, I shoveled the snow - lightly packed, though - because I didn't think of it. I was PO'ed at DH for not getting it done and I was tired of not having a sidewalk to get the mail. About two or three weeks later, of course, I slipped on the front steps - FIVE steps. I had an emergency ultrasound for a peace of mind. There were days when I did something - whatever it was - DH would be saying - "Don't do this - You're killing the baby!!!" I wasn't so much even allowed to scream at anyone for fear of upsetting the baby. Oh....those were stressful times....

I think it was about five months before I screamed at DH and told him that he had to stop making these comments. I think it was about that time - past 20 weeks - I/we started to relax about the pregnancy.

I stopped running before the IVF procedure. When spring rolled around - I started walking again. I was feeling like a whale. I didn't take my dogs with me unless DH was along for the walk because they tugged at the leash really hard. However, I was back up to 6 miles a day. In fact - DD was 2 weeks late. We were trying to do everything as possible to have a water birth - but only possible if the pregnancy was not induced. She didn't want to come. DH went with me on these six mile walks - all the way up to the day or two before DD was born.

Anyway - as difficult as it is to enjoy this pregnancy - you should be able to do about anything... but within common sense. If I remember - they say that horseback riding is a no-no because you don't have as good of a balance as you used to. That's kinda true. You don't feel "imbalanced" but you find yourself tripping over things once in a while and you'd like "Huh? Did I just trip?" Nonetheless, the nurses/doctors/ultrasound tech would always tell me that the uterus is built to protect the baby. And that is very true...

I am rambling on... but I guess my point is - IVF baby or not - there really aren't any more restrictions than a normal pregnancy... but it's easier said than done.... follow your gut... do what you feel is right...

Have a happy and healthy 9 months....

ZakiaZ
ZakiaZ

March 24th, 2011, 1:44 pm #3

Margie, it's not enough to say m/c ment. if you're talking about a late pg loss. Sorry but I had to be more specific about the loss since people freak out if they do not expect such details.

Z.

ZakiaZ
ZakiaZ

March 24th, 2011, 1:55 pm #4

I had one totally blissful day of no worries for which I will always be grateful! I didn't even pee on a stick to analyze shades! Now it's time to worry again.

So tomorrow is beta 2. The magic number is 302. The betabase says the avg doubling time on file for my starting point is 38+hours. So I have to make sure I'm not early...yet not so late that I have to wait till Friday for results!

If it's not exactly double...since doubling time is technically 48-72h...how concerned do we get?

I made a WTF appt with my RE during the 2ww, and didn't cancel it. It's tomorrow. I'm preparing a bunch of questions...including cycle review, and then I want to cover what happens if we m/c (and the chances of that given the first betas...right now I'm under the impression the rate is almost 80% (I'm 41.2)...right?), and what monitoring will be needed and when if we proceed to graduation. So far I only know there would be a third beta - I'm not sure when the u/s are. Do you have any "I wish I'd asked" questions that I should make a note of?

I have questions on restrictions too. I have been on low exercise and I don't know when that can stop. I don't plan to ride the horses or run a marathon but I want to know when it's safe to move around more. Any advice?

I'm reluctant to follow general guidelines because of IVF kind of being its own animal at this stage of the game.

The other thing is...I would like to believe I have a good starting beta...but what if it isn't a strong singleton beta but a weak twin beta? Will I only know that before u/s by wonky HCG levels?

Thanks. I had a day to breathe so I really should not complain, but hope is a strange, scary thing.

xoxo

as a fitness inst./personal trainer who has been through several years of IF, I strongly suggest that you considerably limit your exercise. Outside of anything that you do on a daily basis (walking, climbing stairs, etc.) your main job now is to gestate and make sure that this first tri goes on without any glitches.

I used to be of the old school of there's no reason not to exercise while pg, well considering that pg is a totally immune condition and your body needs it's resources to establish and keep your pg going, why set up unnecessary competition at this point in time? You are newly pg. You need to take it easy until. When people talk about continuing to ex. during pg they're not specifiyng WHO they're talking about. It's a general statement. I think people who suffer through IF need to be extra careful and be aware that there needs may be different so they can't simply follow the general guidelines. It's a different group and should have different guidelines.

I realise that a healthy pg is not going to just end out of the blue but from my personal experience, it's better to not push your luck.

With my ds #1 I stopped teaching the min. I got the positive pee stick. At my 18 wk u/s it was confirmed that I had complete previa. I had a lot of bleeding in the first tri and even though my obgyn had given me the ok to exercise, she didn't say how much or anything. I was an extreme exerciser. Luckily I knew better. Later it turned out that my previa was very vulnerable. I took no chances.

Once you're in the clear, you can go on a maintenance routine which could be around 50% of your normal activity level. But first you should make sure that your dr. gives you the ok.

Z.

sch1star
sch1star

March 24th, 2011, 2:52 pm #5

IVF baby or not... you SHOULD have the same restrictions as a normal pregnancy.... BUT... I agree - much much much easier said than done...

DD was an IVF baby. Prior to having her, I was running 6-7 miles a day, 5 days a week. (You also remember that she was a low grade embie after 3 days in the dish....) It took me a LONG time to feel comfortable about the pregnancy. Let's see.... when I was about two months pregnant, my sister who did not have fertility problems miscarried on my birthday at 20 weeks. Hmmm... about a month later, I shoveled the snow - lightly packed, though - because I didn't think of it. I was PO'ed at DH for not getting it done and I was tired of not having a sidewalk to get the mail. About two or three weeks later, of course, I slipped on the front steps - FIVE steps. I had an emergency ultrasound for a peace of mind. There were days when I did something - whatever it was - DH would be saying - "Don't do this - You're killing the baby!!!" I wasn't so much even allowed to scream at anyone for fear of upsetting the baby. Oh....those were stressful times....

I think it was about five months before I screamed at DH and told him that he had to stop making these comments. I think it was about that time - past 20 weeks - I/we started to relax about the pregnancy.

I stopped running before the IVF procedure. When spring rolled around - I started walking again. I was feeling like a whale. I didn't take my dogs with me unless DH was along for the walk because they tugged at the leash really hard. However, I was back up to 6 miles a day. In fact - DD was 2 weeks late. We were trying to do everything as possible to have a water birth - but only possible if the pregnancy was not induced. She didn't want to come. DH went with me on these six mile walks - all the way up to the day or two before DD was born.

Anyway - as difficult as it is to enjoy this pregnancy - you should be able to do about anything... but within common sense. If I remember - they say that horseback riding is a no-no because you don't have as good of a balance as you used to. That's kinda true. You don't feel "imbalanced" but you find yourself tripping over things once in a while and you'd like "Huh? Did I just trip?" Nonetheless, the nurses/doctors/ultrasound tech would always tell me that the uterus is built to protect the baby. And that is very true...

I am rambling on... but I guess my point is - IVF baby or not - there really aren't any more restrictions than a normal pregnancy... but it's easier said than done.... follow your gut... do what you feel is right...

Have a happy and healthy 9 months....
Margie, thank you so much for the feedback. I am used to being active and it sounds like you were as well, so it's especially good advice. I was thinking of walking too. And maybe getting some yoga going. Between the 2 close together cycles and the holidays, I'm already sitting on 5-7 more lbs than I'd like to be! It's more of a sluggy, not quite healthy feeling than anything.

sch1star
sch1star

March 24th, 2011, 2:56 pm #6

as a fitness inst./personal trainer who has been through several years of IF, I strongly suggest that you considerably limit your exercise. Outside of anything that you do on a daily basis (walking, climbing stairs, etc.) your main job now is to gestate and make sure that this first tri goes on without any glitches.

I used to be of the old school of there's no reason not to exercise while pg, well considering that pg is a totally immune condition and your body needs it's resources to establish and keep your pg going, why set up unnecessary competition at this point in time? You are newly pg. You need to take it easy until. When people talk about continuing to ex. during pg they're not specifiyng WHO they're talking about. It's a general statement. I think people who suffer through IF need to be extra careful and be aware that there needs may be different so they can't simply follow the general guidelines. It's a different group and should have different guidelines.

I realise that a healthy pg is not going to just end out of the blue but from my personal experience, it's better to not push your luck.

With my ds #1 I stopped teaching the min. I got the positive pee stick. At my 18 wk u/s it was confirmed that I had complete previa. I had a lot of bleeding in the first tri and even though my obgyn had given me the ok to exercise, she didn't say how much or anything. I was an extreme exerciser. Luckily I knew better. Later it turned out that my previa was very vulnerable. I took no chances.

Once you're in the clear, you can go on a maintenance routine which could be around 50% of your normal activity level. But first you should make sure that your dr. gives you the ok.

Z.
You must be very glad you took that approach. I used to be old school too and roll my eyes inwardly when my friends told me their doctors said not to ride their horses at all during any phase of pregnancy. Now I understand that it's good to think of things in terms of caution...I don't want to look back on anything bad that happens and wonder if I caused it by something I did or didn't do.

Having been through IF gives you a whole new set of eyeballs.

ZakiaZ
ZakiaZ

March 24th, 2011, 3:06 pm #7

and it is torture even to this day after 2 successful pgs.

It was hot blazing summer and I was running at least 16K a day with a huge backpack on my back. Running to and from work every day. I didn't know I was pg.

Had a m/c at 6+ wks (the u/s dated the pg). To this day I beat myself up about that. What happens is that your body takes care of it's immediate needs. Heart, lung function etc. If you're pg and your exercising is too much for your body to handle, then you know what can happen.....it's a survival thing. The dominant activity takes the lead...which is - the exercise.

Common sense tells me that the pg was doomed anyway, but one just never knows. I was exercising in extreme conditions and really pushing it. I was trying to do 10K in under 45 mins. for e.g. and this is after my job in a gym where I was teaching 2 - 3 classes a day and working out with weights and I don't do petty weight training. It was hard core pumping iron. 4 - 5 days a week.

I don't want anyone to go through this. It's not worth the lifelong aggravation. Luckily for me I had 2 ds's in the end, but had I not been so lucky, that loss could have sent me into a depression.

Z.

MargieD
MargieD

March 24th, 2011, 3:23 pm #8

Margie, it's not enough to say m/c ment. if you're talking about a late pg loss. Sorry but I had to be more specific about the loss since people freak out if they do not expect such details.

Z.
I try to do my best to follow the rules here on the boards. Sorry if I have "freaked out" anyone.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

March 24th, 2011, 4:32 pm #9

xoxo

Firstly, I know it is the hardest thing to do - but really do not put much emphasis on the betas very early on. You want to see significant growth for sure but more or less than exact doubling shouldn't be taken as a bad sign. I started off with 108 at 15DPO and and 18DPO I was 942. Save you the math - the doubling time is less than 24 hours at 23.04 hours. My initial reaction was OMG this is an abnormal embie - it's growing too fast. But I quickly decided to believe and know that it was simply a strong and healthy embie. He just was flying right out of the gate like it was the Derby! My next beta was at 20DPO and it was 2936...doubling time = 29.27 hours. He was hauling *** for the finish line for sure!

And now today - I am 14 weeks with a FANTASTIC nuchal scan and first trimester screen.

Secondly, what boosted my confidence in the early weeks was that my P4 and E2 levels were behaving as they should (holding steady and/or increasing).

Not sure about Cornell but clinics each have their own protocol for when to order the first u/s. For example, my RE sends you for first u/s once beta reaches 1,500. I had my first u/s at 22DPO. However, a friend of mine who is recently PG via IVF with a different clinic got sent to her first u/s after her 2nd beta (independent of the beta result). So just ask the RE when you can expect to go and more importantly, ask them what they are looking for at that first u/s and correlation to betas. My RE expected to see gestational sac AND yolk sac at a minimum at that first u/s.

Other questions to ask will likely unfold naturally but ask about sex restrictions. My clinic's philosophy, right or wrong, is no sex until placenta has taken over because they idea is that the uterus can't handle the effects of orgasmic contractions so early on. Maybe bologna but I wasn't going to challenge. After all, in the grand scheme of things, we do soooo many crazy (and unproven) things to try to get pregnant why should I think differenly now that I actually am pregnant. On the other hand I think that the clinic may make exceptions so long as a heartbeat is seen. In my case, none of that mattered because I had a small hematoma (subchorionic hemorrahge) and so I was resctricted not just from sex but any lifting, bending, exercising. I wasn't put on full bed rest but general advice was along the lines of just keep hydrated and just lay around.

Are you still traveling for work? Definitely ask about that. I had to travel to Europe between 6-8 weeks and while none of the doctors (RE or OB) were endorsing it, they weren't banning it either. The concern was not the flying itself (the only concern there would be cabin pressure but that's not a concern at all when travelling a commercial aircraft), but rather the activities around flying such as dragging, pulling, lifting suitcases. And this concern was not because of my small hematoma - it was general concern. I was travelling with DH so I did none of those things.

Lastly, I wouldn't do any exercise. Not because I think that for sure it would have adverse effects, but again, it was such a precious fine line to walk to get here, why do anything at all that would cause you to ever question yourself, if God forbid, something went wrong. Btw, this is coming from a woman who was shoveling about a foot worth of snow just a couple of days prior to her BFP. (and also drinking wine and margaritas!).

These are going to be some tough days/weeks ahead because the level of suspense is going to be a hundred times worse than what you felt after ER through day of ET. But for right now, you have nothing to worry about!! Really. Until there is something to really worry about, try not to worry.

ZakiaZ
ZakiaZ

March 24th, 2011, 6:14 pm #10

I try to do my best to follow the rules here on the boards. Sorry if I have "freaked out" anyone.
I've also forgotten to put the warning in and someone else did it for me. It happens. No harm done

Z.