Is it normal to measure 2-3 days behind on an early u/s?

Is it normal to measure 2-3 days behind on an early u/s?

Erin
Erin

June 1st, 2012, 2:15 pm #1

Hi guys- I could use some help! I had an u/s at 6wks 5days yesterday and we saw the HB for the first time! It was beating away at 125bpm. During the u/s, the RE who was doing the u/s (who's been monitoring me locally) said that I was measuring at 6wks 5days on the dot and that everything was perfect. I left feeling really happy and reassured. Then, later in the day I looked more closely at the pictures I was given from the u/s and one said "6wks2days" and another says "6wks3days". I just called the nurse and she said that the report does say what the pictures say, but that it's "within the margin of error" which is what Dr. D said too. But, I'm nervous (obviously). I was measuring 1-2 days behind on my first u/s 10 days ago and now I'm wondering if it's just going to get further off track... I did IVF so obviously my dates are correct and I got my 1st pos HPT at 9dpo so it wasn't late implantation. Does anyone know if this is really normal? I could really use some reassurance.

Thanks so much in advance!

cbsgirl
cbsgirl

June 1st, 2012, 2:21 pm #2

Your embryo is teeny tiny right now and it is difficult to get perfect measurements, which is why there is a range of error of +/- five days at this point. You are squarely in that range, which is great. Honestly, the fact that you had a heartbeat at 125 at this point is a very good thing and that is where I would focus my energy. Try to relax and enjoy the fact that you are pregnant!

June 1st, 2012, 4:56 pm #3

My sis's little bean measured a few days behind at her 6 week ultrasound and then was right on target after that. : ) I am sure everything will be fine!

Erin
Erin

June 1st, 2012, 5:23 pm #4

Hi guys- I could use some help! I had an u/s at 6wks 5days yesterday and we saw the HB for the first time! It was beating away at 125bpm. During the u/s, the RE who was doing the u/s (who's been monitoring me locally) said that I was measuring at 6wks 5days on the dot and that everything was perfect. I left feeling really happy and reassured. Then, later in the day I looked more closely at the pictures I was given from the u/s and one said "6wks2days" and another says "6wks3days". I just called the nurse and she said that the report does say what the pictures say, but that it's "within the margin of error" which is what Dr. D said too. But, I'm nervous (obviously). I was measuring 1-2 days behind on my first u/s 10 days ago and now I'm wondering if it's just going to get further off track... I did IVF so obviously my dates are correct and I got my 1st pos HPT at 9dpo so it wasn't late implantation. Does anyone know if this is really normal? I could really use some reassurance.

Really, your responses are SO incredibly helpful. I'm trying to sit back and enjoy, but obviously, that's not coming easily. I will keep trying though! Thanks so much again for taking the time to respond.

mel
mel

June 1st, 2012, 5:48 pm #5

As cbsgirl said, there is a +/- 5 day margin of error and you are well within that range, so as difficult as it may be, try not to let it worry you. You heard the heartbeat, which is a huge milestone and one that should bring you some comfort.

I have a friend who is 23 weeks and has consistently measured a few days behind at her appointments and her doctors are not at all concerned.

It's not an exact science, which is why there is a +/- 5 day margin of error. Rest assured, it is totally normal!

Laura
Laura

June 1st, 2012, 7:00 pm #6

They can be as much as a week off, and it would just be confusing. My tiny 2mm dot measured 5w3d yesterday, but I'm really 5w5d, based on my LMP/O-date.

Erin
Erin

June 1st, 2012, 9:54 pm #7

The reassurance is definitely helping and I've found myself obsessing less since I've been reading these responses through the day. Your experience and knowledge is so much appreciated- thank you!!!

anna
anna

June 2nd, 2012, 4:27 am #8

That's totally normal, these r just computer measurement and u can't expect all emby to be the same size. If ur RE said ur fine, I am sure ur fine. Just enjoy and get round and round ...

Erin
Erin

June 2nd, 2012, 12:43 pm #9

I'm trying- it's just very hard to trust after all the hardship, you know? I'm really looking forward to getting a belly to remind myself that I actually am pg!
I also wanted to thank you for your congrats when I first announced. I took a break for a few days and didn't notice it until later, but it was really sweet so thank you so much! How are you doing? I've been thinking of you and hoping you are well. If you're up for it, please post an update- I know that many of us are wondering how you're doing.
Thanks so much again and take care!

b&a72
b&a72

June 4th, 2012, 8:04 pm #10

I also measured behind by 4-5 days up until about 9 weeks then ended up jumping a couple days ahead. I am now 32 weeks with the twins and everything is all good. I would not worry to much, the measurments are only as good as the person doing them which at this point is extremly hard to get spot on.