If you're concerned about privacy on these boards...READ ON (x-post from DE board)

If you're concerned about privacy on these boards...READ ON (x-post from DE board)

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 16th, 2011, 1:44 am #1

this was just posted on the DE board!! Thank God the person was kind enough to alert us!

See link to DE board posting (I'm the first anon response on the link so can attest to this being true!).

http://www.network54.com/Forum/57451/me ... SSUE+FOLKS

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 16th, 2011, 1:05 pm #2

how do you delete posts you made on this board?

January 16th, 2011, 3:00 pm #3

you ask me to find all your posts and delete them.

It's one disadvantage to being anon, no login.

Alternately, if you want to be anon but be able to edit your posts, create a new account. Then when you are ready to come out, come out in your usual screen name.

Sorry it's such a pain. I wish it was different too.

I don't mind deleting posts you've made if you want me to do that. Keep in mind that if you were anon for it, nobody knows who you are.

email me at the moderators email addy if you need me help.

January 16th, 2011, 3:11 pm #4

this was just posted on the DE board!! Thank God the person was kind enough to alert us!

See link to DE board posting (I'm the first anon response on the link so can attest to this being true!).

i'm thinking it's a matter of time before some kind of privacy law is put through. It bothers me that anybody can search a name like that. It's a good idea to google your name periodically too.

forums are public --unless they are set up to be private (see the private secondary bb, it's totally private run by a savvy woman who knows how to make the internet private, she's good--also a good bb to go to when or if you all are ttc #2 and beyond)

so although we here share moments and details that are somewhat private and it feels like it's just us reading, keep in mind that anybody can find this forum (how did YOU find it?). So if you use your real name and this bothers you, change your name, that's ok have a login so you can delete or edit your posts. The only thing is that people can see if you are here on the bb.

If you are on Facebook, there are settings you need to flick to make it private.

I wish we didn't have to do that. I'd make this forum private in a heart beat but I like that people can post in anon if they want to keep their secret a bit longer or are shy or whatever. It always takes a rotten apple to spoil it

thanks for posting this, it's important to spread the word.

btw, I've deleted all my more private photobucket photos a week ago, just because I realized it's a very public site and I hadn't thought about it until then. Life can be busy enough without worrying about these kinds of details. (roll eyes)
So keep that in mind, using any photo sharing site, if someone does a search for, say, cute baby or pg belly, they can swipe your pic and use it.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 16th, 2011, 4:12 pm #5

the issue is, as you said, if we post trackable info here, like name, email address, etc., then someone can pick that up from this site and search it on another site like spokeo and voila...they now know who you are.

I don't think this board needs to change. I think it's all the other wacko social media sites that need to get shut down! It's disgusting how they hijack your whole life and precisely why I won't join facebook, twitter and whatever else. Do any of us REALLY TRULY need those services? Life was just fine with good ol' email and shutterfly.

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 16th, 2011, 5:34 pm #6

I did post my email once. I tend to be trusting of the world, I guess too much. I would like to remove it, but don't know how.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 16th, 2011, 6:46 pm #7

If so, log in, find the post and then edit the post. If you were not logged in at the time you posted your original post then you can't edit it yourself. However, you can still search for the post (search by your email address) and then copy the url and send it the moderators of the board. Their email is at the top of the home page.

BabyDance.
BabyDance.

January 16th, 2011, 7:12 pm #8

Thank you. n/t

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 16th, 2011, 7:26 pm #9

the issue is, as you said, if we post trackable info here, like name, email address, etc., then someone can pick that up from this site and search it on another site like spokeo and voila...they now know who you are.

I don't think this board needs to change. I think it's all the other wacko social media sites that need to get shut down! It's disgusting how they hijack your whole life and precisely why I won't join facebook, twitter and whatever else. Do any of us REALLY TRULY need those services? Life was just fine with good ol' email and shutterfly.
as already noted, the issue is if we post trackable info here, like our real name, email address, etc., then someone can pick that up from this site and search it on another site like spokeo and voila...they now know who you are.

Or conversely, if you have a snoopy friend who decides to search you on spokeo via email address (for example), and you've posted that email address on here...then spokeo will return this board as a result. Your friend will see that you've posted on "Looking to be a Mom thru DE". If they want to see your actual postings then they'd have to pay for that. But at that point, does it matter? You've already been "revealed".

To get around this, when posting do not post your complete email address. Break it up so that it's not an email string in the conventional way. And do not use sign-in IDs on here that are uniquely you and that you also use in real life. For example, if your email address is "crazygirl4830@yahoo.com" post it as crazygirl4830yahoocom. And don't use crazygirl4830 as your login name here if everyone in the world knows that you are known as crazygirl4830. Come up with a screen name that you ONLY use on this site and that you have never shared anywhere else, therefore no ties can be made to you.

Sara H
Sara H

January 17th, 2011, 7:45 pm #10

Thank you. n/t
to remove yourself from Spokeo, if anyone was wondering.

So scary. I have to say, this is why I don't log in anymore, I just write my name. And, there are sooo many Sara H.'s in the world, I am not too worried there!

Good luck, Ladies! Please don't be stressed about this!

Sara H.