Genetic counseling this morning, recap

Genetic counseling this morning, recap

Teresa
Teresa

July 11th, 2012, 4:48 pm #1

Dh and I were at the hospital at 8am and met with the counselor.

It was tough. Neither of us slept much last night and as soon as we sat down in her office I started sobbing again.

She explained a little more in detail about the results. We tested 1 in 127 for downs and 1 in 2,981 for the trisomy 18 and 13 ( I think those were the two). On no sleep a migraine and crying fits its a little fuzzy...really tried to focus. She said before the test my chances were 1 in 83 .... How she got to that number I'm not sure., but she mentioned how they take your h c g, age, weight, a few other things... But after the test , I got 1 in 127. This slight increase over 1 in 83 just doesn't make me want to jump for joy and of course she said they would have liked a much higher number. Specifically my free beta was 78.59 (80th percentile). Papp-A was 0.52 which had me in the 20th percentile and the nt fold which today I found out was 1.2 not 1.1 like the tech told me (yes still in normal range but I wish they were a little more careful in delivering the numbers). Also was told that a thin measurement does not guarantee no downs and even if you get say 1 in 1150, this too is no guarantee of no downs. But still.....

She asked us a history of our families. Neither dH or my families have any downs.

She explained the cvs test and the materniti21 test This groups specific statistics for cvs were 1 in 300 for miscarriage and I was in no way comfortable with that number despite my 1 In 127 result being less. I got hysterical again ( no sleep, the stress, my uncle died last night to boot and having to think so fast on what we wanted to do, because I am 13 weeks 2 days so they said I needed to decide then and there to have cvs. Today) no pressure or anything, right. I felt like I was truly in the depths of hell having to decide this so quickly and under so much strain.

She left the room so dH and I could discuss what to do. The 1 in 300 scared us both. And we thought, the materniti21 is non invasive and has a 99.1 accuracy rate. The cvs has 99.9 accuracy. The stats with that cvs disturbed me terribly. We ultimately decided to do the materniti21 test, unfortunately it's a 10 day wait for the results. God give me strength because I don't know how I will make it. We just wanted to be as non invasive as possible to boot. And also, mentally emotionally me doing a cvs today, on no sleep and hours of crying, just not good.

If this test comes back positive, then I will have to get an amino, but at least it will give me time to research a doctor with the best stats , because theirs are 1 in 400 for miscarriage in amino. Sorry, stupid iPad won't let me type amino ...... Maybe theses stats are everywhere, but my gut told me don't do it.

The materniti21 test unfortunately cost us 475 dollars we had to pay today. Insurance doesn't cover it. Sucks. We are so broke between our car dying 2 weeks ago and having to add a carpayment to our budget after years of owning free and clear..it just all adds up. But it is what it is. Some insurances only have to pay 235 but our empire plan is a direct pos so we had to pay more. It's always something.

They gave me a quick scan, with the way I was hysterical yesterday and all last night and today I was afraid the baby died. I know I am NUTS...the heart was beating and the baby was in there, not moving...but in there alive. Then the dr came in, he sort of pressured us to do the c vs which got me hysterical again. He said " I've done 236 of these " we were just like "no, thank you". He got a little snooty about that materniti21 test saying its not conclusive. But if it comes back to be negative I will be very happy with those odds. I will worry regardless.

So now the wait begins. Thank you all for your support with this. Trying to think positive but it's just very very hard. If you pray, please pray for my little one...no downs. .thank you!

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

July 11th, 2012, 5:04 pm #2

Teresa- I saw your post below and the responses. The ladies gave you great advice. Just keep telling yourself that your risk is only 1 in 127...those are not great odds. You'd get better odds in Vegas and we all know how that usually turns out I'm so happy that you are going to do the MaternT21 test. That will give you some peace of mind shortly. BTW..your other numbers look terrific!! Thinking of you and KNOWING that all will be fine. So sorry about your uncle. I know this must be a stressful time for you. Take care of yourself and try not to stress that much.

July 11th, 2012, 7:18 pm #3

It was tough. Neither of us slept much last night and as soon as we sat down in her office I started sobbing again.

She explained a little more in detail about the results. We tested 1 in 127 for downs and 1 in 2,981 for the trisomy 18 and 13 ( I think those were the two). On no sleep a migraine and crying fits its a little fuzzy...really tried to focus. She said before the test my chances were 1 in 83 .... How she got to that number I'm not sure., but she mentioned how they take your h c g, age, weight, a few other things... But after the test , I got 1 in 127. This slight increase over 1 in 83 just doesn't make me want to jump for joy and of course she said they would have liked a much higher number. Specifically my free beta was 78.59 (80th percentile). Papp-A was 0.52 which had me in the 20th percentile and the nt fold which today I found out was 1.2 not 1.1 like the tech told me (yes still in normal range but I wish they were a little more careful in delivering the numbers). Also was told that a thin measurement does not guarantee no downs and even if you get say 1 in 1150, this too is no guarantee of no downs. But still.....

She asked us a history of our families. Neither dH or my families have any downs.

She explained the cvs test and the materniti21 test This groups specific statistics for cvs were 1 in 300 for miscarriage and I was in no way comfortable with that number despite my 1 In 127 result being less. I got hysterical again ( no sleep, the stress, my uncle died last night to boot and having to think so fast on what we wanted to do, because I am 13 weeks 2 days so they said I needed to decide then and there to have cvs. Today) no pressure or anything, right. I felt like I was truly in the depths of hell having to decide this so quickly and under so much strain.

She left the room so dH and I could discuss what to do. The 1 in 300 scared us both. And we thought, the materniti21 is non invasive and has a 99.1 accuracy rate. The cvs has 99.9 accuracy. The stats with that cvs disturbed me terribly. We ultimately decided to do the materniti21 test, unfortunately it's a 10 day wait for the results. God give me strength because I don't know how I will make it. We just wanted to be as non invasive as possible to boot. And also, mentally emotionally me doing a cvs today, on no sleep and hours of crying, just not good.

If this test comes back positive, then I will have to get an amino, but at least it will give me time to research a doctor with the best stats , because theirs are 1 in 400 for miscarriage in amino. Sorry, stupid iPad won't let me type amino ...... Maybe theses stats are everywhere, but my gut told me don't do it.

The materniti21 test unfortunately cost us 475 dollars we had to pay today. Insurance doesn't cover it. Sucks. We are so broke between our car dying 2 weeks ago and having to add a carpayment to our budget after years of owning free and clear..it just all adds up. But it is what it is. Some insurances only have to pay 235 but our empire plan is a direct pos so we had to pay more. It's always something.

They gave me a quick scan, with the way I was hysterical yesterday and all last night and today I was afraid the baby died. I know I am NUTS...the heart was beating and the baby was in there, not moving...but in there alive. Then the dr came in, he sort of pressured us to do the c vs which got me hysterical again. He said " I've done 236 of these " we were just like "no, thank you". He got a little snooty about that materniti21 test saying its not conclusive. But if it comes back to be negative I will be very happy with those odds. I will worry regardless.

So now the wait begins. Thank you all for your support with this. Trying to think positive but it's just very very hard. If you pray, please pray for my little one...no downs. .thank you!
Oh Teresa, I wish I could hug you. My condolences on the loss of your Uncle. I also feel your pain in being in the waiting pattern for test results. The process of having a family is different for so many people but sometimes our destiny feels so uncertain that we break down. Those emotions are normal and what make us human. I am glad your DH is supporting you throught this process, you will not only survive it, but you will thrive. I have been praying for your little bundle of joy as long as I have been for active on this pink board, all the beautiful miracles discussed here gave me hope when mine was waning. Take time to relax when you can, cry when you need to and always remember you are a blessing to many

Erin
Erin

July 11th, 2012, 8:35 pm #4

So sorry about your uncle. It's so hard to be hit with that when you're already dealing with something else. I too am really glad you opted for the Materni21 test- it seems like a great option in this case. I guess I would also just say, I know you've been through a whole lot (understatement) and so your nerves must be working overtime non-stop during this pregnancy. But, as you wait for your results, there are 2 concrete ways to look at things. You could choose to focus on the 1 in 127 babies in this situation that would be born with Down's. Or, you could choose to focus on the 126 healthy ones. I know it's hard to consciously make that choice, but I think it's worth striving for. After all, I can only begin to tell you how thrilled I would have been in my white board days if someone would have told me that I had a 99.2% chance of having a healthy baby in January! I know it's really hard and there's so much history that goes into where our mind automatically goes, but sometimes it's worth focusing on changing the automatic thoughts, since automatic often doesn't equal accurate. I have this problem myself so I can relate, but wouldn't be being honest if I didn't throw that out there... Wishing you well while you wait.

Erin
Erin

July 11th, 2012, 8:50 pm #5

I'm not much of a pray-er, but I'm sending lots of warm wishes and vibes to you and to your baby.

Laura
Laura

July 11th, 2012, 9:06 pm #6

I'm glad that you are doing the new test. I hope the result will bring you peace.

mel
mel

July 11th, 2012, 9:42 pm #7

So sorry about your uncle. It's so hard to be hit with that when you're already dealing with something else. I too am really glad you opted for the Materni21 test- it seems like a great option in this case. I guess I would also just say, I know you've been through a whole lot (understatement) and so your nerves must be working overtime non-stop during this pregnancy. But, as you wait for your results, there are 2 concrete ways to look at things. You could choose to focus on the 1 in 127 babies in this situation that would be born with Down's. Or, you could choose to focus on the 126 healthy ones. I know it's hard to consciously make that choice, but I think it's worth striving for. After all, I can only begin to tell you how thrilled I would have been in my white board days if someone would have told me that I had a 99.2% chance of having a healthy baby in January! I know it's really hard and there's so much history that goes into where our mind automatically goes, but sometimes it's worth focusing on changing the automatic thoughts, since automatic often doesn't equal accurate. I have this problem myself so I can relate, but wouldn't be being honest if I didn't throw that out there... Wishing you well while you wait.
that as much as you possibly can, try to focus on the positive. I know how difficult it is when this uphill battle just keeps having to be fought, but it only gets tougher when we let the negative thoughts invade our minds for too long.

I am so sorry about the loss of your uncle. The emotions are overwhelming right now, I'm sure, and I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

Although the Materniti21 test has a hefty price, it will bring you the peace of mind you need. The waiting for the results is never easy, but try to keep positive thoughts in your mind. The endless worrying is no good for you or your growing baby, and the worrying will not change anything. I'm the queen of worrying, so it's somewhat amusing that I'm telling you to try not to worry, and I don't expect you not to worry at all, but maybe try to focus more energy on keeping a positive mental attitude - PMA.

Like Erin, I am not a praying person either, but I am sending you only good and positive thoughts. Sending hugs too.

Alli
Alli

July 11th, 2012, 9:58 pm #8

I love Belleruth Napartsek's guided imagery for situations like this. A hard as this is, you got to remain positive. You've got a lot going on and I'm sorry for that. Maybe some positive affirmations with deep breathing or prayer. I do some relaxation yoga that helps with big time stress.

I don't want you to regret being hysterical about risks your entire pregnancy. Until the test comes back, focus on that 99% chance of everything being normal.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

July 11th, 2012, 10:02 pm #9

I feel for you and I hope you are able to find some peace. I'm very sorry about your uncle. What a difficult time.

When I read your post yesterday I thought about a very moving anecdote in the introduction of a book by David Burns called Feeling Good. The author, a famous psychologist, worries his newborn son has brain damage and starts getting really stressed and upset and wigging out. Then a beautiful thing happens...so moving it still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. I wish I could do this story justice, but please consider buying or borrowing this book! It will help you so much, I promise. It is essentially about managing anxiety.

Even if you don't want to get the book, I suggest you consider devoting some of your time and energy to learning how to better manage stress and anxiety. It will improve your quality of life. Chances are, your baby will be perfectly healthy and normal. But you will have lots of stress nonetheless. Babies get high fevers. Kids fall out of trees and sometimes go to the hospital. You need to be able not lose it every single time something stressful happens.

I hope you don't take this post the wrong way. I posted about this a long time ago, as you might remember. I have been through the whole depression/anxiety cycle myself and I'm much calmer and happier now, despite 3 years of IF! That's how I know that you can also be happier and calmer, no matter what life throws at you. I can tell that you are really, really suffering and I feel for you.

Please feel free to email me if you like at antonialisa.felice at gmail.com if you would like me to suggest more resources. I REALLY would like to help you.

July 12th, 2012, 2:29 am #10

Hugs. I am so sorry about your Uncle. Peace to your family. I have to agree with Antonialisa. Give yourself permission to give your anxieties a chance to rest. Us IF ladies (and their men or partner) we spend so much time and worrying trying to get there that we then tend to worry about every statistic, scare, problem, oops, uh-oh that comes along with pregnancy. And it will come. And it will come when your beautiful happy healthy baby gets there too. And at each milestone or birthday after that. Try to give yourself some time to enjoy growing that baby. Make sound decisions and take care of yourself. Hugs again. I know it's not easy.