BFP, but cold PLUS Afrin withdrawal... help?

BFP, but cold PLUS Afrin withdrawal... help?

Anonymous from below
Anonymous from below

July 3rd, 2012, 4:02 am #1

Hi,
This is anonymous from the thread directly below.

As luck would have it, I have had a cold for a couple of days. This morning, I decided to go cold turkey, because of the positive beta yesterday, and stop using the nasal sprays I have literally been using my whole life.

Needless to say, I'm miserable. I literally haven't breathed through my nose all day. It's not just slightly stuffed. It's stuffed to the point where not even a tiny bit of air is going through and it's stressing me out. I can't imagine intentionally sleeping while breathing through my mouth.

It's now midnight. I called the RE's office earlier today and they said the only thing I could use is plain Sudafed. I bought the 12 hour and took it at noon. It didn't help even for a second. I even went as far as trying to eat horseradish, wasabi, etc, but nothing.

Have any of you gone through this? Should I use the Afrin tonight? I'm worried about harming things, but at the same time, I absolutely cannot breathe.

Any advice would be beyond appreciated.

Thanks

Laura
Laura

July 3rd, 2012, 5:18 am #2

You can use regular saline spray or a netty pot (make sure you start with sterilized water). Unfortunately, everything else is a no-no.

Anon for this
Anon for this

July 3rd, 2012, 6:22 am #3

Still up and miserable at 2:30 am
Do you know how long it takes to do this cold turkey?
Thanks!

Anon for this
Anon for this

July 3rd, 2012, 6:51 am #4

You can use regular saline spray or a netty pot (make sure you start with sterilized water). Unfortunately, everything else is a no-no.
Also... I used vicks vapo rub yesterday and have read mixed opinions online. I'm so worried now...

Alli
Alli

July 3rd, 2012, 1:11 pm #5

Hi,

As luck would have it, I have had a cold for a couple of days. This morning, I decided to go cold turkey, because of the positive beta yesterday, and stop using the nasal sprays I have literally been using my whole life.

Needless to say, I'm miserable. I literally haven't breathed through my nose all day. It's not just slightly stuffed. It's stuffed to the point where not even a tiny bit of air is going through and it's stressing me out. I can't imagine intentionally sleeping while breathing through my mouth.

It's now midnight. I called the RE's office earlier today and they said the only thing I could use is plain Sudafed. I bought the 12 hour and took it at noon. It didn't help even for a second. I even went as far as trying to eat horseradish, wasabi, etc, but nothing.

Have any of you gone through this? Should I use the Afrin tonight? I'm worried about harming things, but at the same time, I absolutely cannot breathe.

Thanks
And yes you get the rebound effect, but mine cleared literally after my c section. I had rhinitis of pregnancy and refused to not breathe. I was addicted to Afrin years ago and my GP prescribed Flonase and a steroid dose pack which helped wean me off. I'd talk to GP or OB if you can.

July 3rd, 2012, 1:11 pm #6

Hi,

Thanks
I know how easy it is to get freaked out about every little thing, esp. at this stage, but try not to worry too much--remember that most people don't even know they're pregnant till much later than this, and use all kinds of things that they might not use if they knew--and they go on to have perfectly healthy babies. One use of Vicks isn't going to affect the outcome! Best of luck--I hope this little one sticks around!

Erin
Erin

July 3rd, 2012, 2:13 pm #7

Hi,

Thanks
It might help a little with the congestion at night (although what will help most is staying away from the Afrin) and help you sleep a bit while you're coming off it. It's on my "safe list" but best to ask your OB.

Anon for this please
Anon for this please

July 3rd, 2012, 2:30 pm #8

And yes you get the rebound effect, but mine cleared literally after my c section. I had rhinitis of pregnancy and refused to not breathe. I was addicted to Afrin years ago and my GP prescribed Flonase and a steroid dose pack which helped wean me off. I'd talk to GP or OB if you can.
So glad to hear I'm not the only one. I know this is very common. I've still gone cold turkey. I spoke to one of the RE's at my clinic this morning and she said Vicks Vaporub was ok. I assume a little bit here and there is fine. A girl needs to breathe, right??

Anon for this please
Anon for this please

July 3rd, 2012, 2:30 pm #9

I know how easy it is to get freaked out about every little thing, esp. at this stage, but try not to worry too much--remember that most people don't even know they're pregnant till much later than this, and use all kinds of things that they might not use if they knew--and they go on to have perfectly healthy babies. One use of Vicks isn't going to affect the outcome! Best of luck--I hope this little one sticks around!
Thank you so much! n/t

Anon for this please
Anon for this please

July 3rd, 2012, 2:31 pm #10

It might help a little with the congestion at night (although what will help most is staying away from the Afrin) and help you sleep a bit while you're coming off it. It's on my "safe list" but best to ask your OB.
They keep saying Sudafed, so I'm taking it, but I'm not sure it's doing anything. The cold combined with the withdrawal is the problem, I assume. I hope that in a couple of days, I'll be fully Afrin-free! Let's hope!

Thanks!