Baby names

Baby names

Maru
Maru

August 3rd, 2011, 2:18 pm #1

So we finally know what we're having and now comes the difficult part, deciding on a name!

For our first one, we named him Sebastian. We're originally from Venezuela, so we both speak Spanish and we wanted to have a name you could say both in English and Spanish and of course a name we liked.

It's hard to chose a name that we both agree on, the ones I like my hubby hates and the ones he likes are horrible for me.

We've had a girl name since before we got pregnant the first time, but a boy name for some reason has been really difficult for us.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Also I learned with Sebastian that we should not tell people the name before the baby is born, especially family and close friends because they feel they have the right to tell you how much they hate the name and how you should choose X name (which of course you don't like).

So the fun begins now and I'm spending endless hours going through Baby Name websites in search of a perfect name for our little bean!

August 3rd, 2011, 3:38 pm #2

DH and I CANNOT agree on a name to save our lives! W/ DS#2, we named him literally the day before my scheduled c-section, that's how long it took for us to agree on one! (We named him Zachary, BTW.)

We're going through the same thing this time. I'm trying to recycle the ones he rejected last time and vice versa, and we're getting nowhere.

I agree with you about not telling friends and family. With DS#1 I told a good friend of mine the name we were planning. This was a name I LOVED since I was a child and I always knew I'd use it if I had a boy. It also happened to be DH's middle name, so no fights that time Anyway, when I told her, she looked me straight in the face and said "Do NOT name your child that name. I have a nephew with that name and he's a beast! He's all I'll think about when you say your child's name."

I was SO offended. This wasn't a person I'd expect something like that from, either. I bluntly told her that my decision was made and she'd have to get used to it. Geez...

Anyway, wishing us BOTH luck

Hugs,
Meg

Anon7
Anon7

August 3rd, 2011, 5:41 pm #3

So we finally know what we're having and now comes the difficult part, deciding on a name!

For our first one, we named him Sebastian. We're originally from Venezuela, so we both speak Spanish and we wanted to have a name you could say both in English and Spanish and of course a name we liked.

It's hard to chose a name that we both agree on, the ones I like my hubby hates and the ones he likes are horrible for me.

We've had a girl name since before we got pregnant the first time, but a boy name for some reason has been really difficult for us.

Also I learned with Sebastian that we should not tell people the name before the baby is born, especially family and close friends because they feel they have the right to tell you how much they hate the name and how you should choose X name (which of course you don't like).

So the fun begins now and I'm spending endless hours going through Baby Name websites in search of a perfect name for our little bean!
Isn't it amazing how folks feel so free to impart their opinion? It's crazy. I just don't get it. I've thought that when folks have told me about potential names, but I've never actually told anyone their baby name was the pitts.

I won't mention one iotta to my family b/c they are SO overbearing. Don't want their input on names!

Good Luck deciding.....I'm not there yet at a little over 8 weeks....

JulesM
JulesM

August 3rd, 2011, 5:50 pm #4

But I can understand how it can be stressful. It's funny but we tell everyone what our names are... but I have had these names picked out well before I even got married so most my family and close friends always knew what we would pick. Thank God DH is on board with them, lol.
Anyway, I can understand the frustration of having to listen to other peoples opinions. Funny but I was just going through an aggrevation myself. We are team green (for now) but EVERYONE who looks at my US pictures says straight out "BOY". It is driving me nuts! I mean this is a head profile, that is it. I know it's the hormones but I started getting a little annoyed today when my co-workers keep bringing up that I am "definitely having a boy". So now I am hoping for a girl to prove them wrong.
BTW... I personally LOVE Sebastian!

Maru
Maru

August 3rd, 2011, 5:56 pm #5

You made me laugh with your message!

People are so nosy!

I love Sebastian too! Now I see him and I can't think of any other name for him

I hope you have a girl too so they can be all quiet! People were telling me for sure I was going to have a girl, so I'm happy I'm having a boy to get them all to shut up.

Oh and I'm sure people look at you funny when you say you're not going to find out right? Thats something else they want to have an opinion about. Me I can't wait to find out, but I completely respect and understand why people wait, I wish I had the strength to wait LOL!

It's more difficult for people that don't find out because they need to have two names picked out, but if you've had them picked out for a long time that's perfect and you're lucky that hubby approves.

My husband doesn't care about anything usually, he's very laid back when it comes to making decisions, but with this baby he's even wanting to decide on the nursery decor, don't ask me why! he's making me crazy

Maru
Maru

August 3rd, 2011, 5:58 pm #6

Isn't it amazing how folks feel so free to impart their opinion? It's crazy. I just don't get it. I've thought that when folks have told me about potential names, but I've never actually told anyone their baby name was the pitts.

I won't mention one iotta to my family b/c they are SO overbearing. Don't want their input on names!

Good Luck deciding.....I'm not there yet at a little over 8 weeks....
Time goes by slowly at first, but after I turned 12 weeks it was really fast to get to 18 weeks...

And I agree I'm not telling my family especially this time around :p

The first comment my dad made when he found out we were having a boy was that he's happy because I don't get to use the name girl I had chosen, Penelope, which I thought was adorable, so no way I'm telling him my baby boy name :p

Maru
Maru

August 3rd, 2011, 6:00 pm #7

DH and I CANNOT agree on a name to save our lives! W/ DS#2, we named him literally the day before my scheduled c-section, that's how long it took for us to agree on one! (We named him Zachary, BTW.)

We're going through the same thing this time. I'm trying to recycle the ones he rejected last time and vice versa, and we're getting nowhere.

I agree with you about not telling friends and family. With DS#1 I told a good friend of mine the name we were planning. This was a name I LOVED since I was a child and I always knew I'd use it if I had a boy. It also happened to be DH's middle name, so no fights that time Anyway, when I told her, she looked me straight in the face and said "Do NOT name your child that name. I have a nephew with that name and he's a beast! He's all I'll think about when you say your child's name."

I was SO offended. This wasn't a person I'd expect something like that from, either. I bluntly told her that my decision was made and she'd have to get used to it. Geez...

Anyway, wishing us BOTH luck

Hugs,
Meg
Sebastian keeps telling me to name this one Zachary

I'm also trying to remember the ones we rejected last time, but that is also a bit weird because i had decided they weren't good enough names for Sebastian then I guess they can be good enough this time around?

We'll probably end up putting all the names we like the best in a pot and choose randomly :p

I can't believe what your friend said, but it's good she didn't change your mind.

I'll add my choices here once I narrow them down!

August 3rd, 2011, 6:13 pm #8

Im sure you both will pick names that please you and DH's and that suit your baby boys! nt

tanya
tanya

August 3rd, 2011, 6:20 pm #9

But I can understand how it can be stressful. It's funny but we tell everyone what our names are... but I have had these names picked out well before I even got married so most my family and close friends always knew what we would pick. Thank God DH is on board with them, lol.
Anyway, I can understand the frustration of having to listen to other peoples opinions. Funny but I was just going through an aggrevation myself. We are team green (for now) but EVERYONE who looks at my US pictures says straight out "BOY". It is driving me nuts! I mean this is a head profile, that is it. I know it's the hormones but I started getting a little annoyed today when my co-workers keep bringing up that I am "definitely having a boy". So now I am hoping for a girl to prove them wrong.
BTW... I personally LOVE Sebastian!
Do you mind me asking what the names are? If you don't want to share, I completely understand.

juliemam (grad/co-mod)
juliemam (grad/co-mod)

August 3rd, 2011, 6:29 pm #10

Nicholas

Alejandro

Samuel

Nathan

I have a friend who married a Spanish man and they named their oldest Sam, their middle child Alejandro. Alejandro is easy for english folk to say and it's still Spanish
I love the Spanish language (and it's many cultures) and foods!!! lol

I hear you on the no-tell, it really is the best that way. I have found that when people know the gender, they tend to keep the names secret.

good luck choosing and have fun!!

jm