Anyone feel that avoiding sugar was necessary to get pregnant? Nt.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 15th, 2011, 3:31 pm #1

Bethpky
Bethpky

April 15th, 2011, 3:53 pm #2

I ate sugar - not a ton but certainly some. I don't buy into a lot of the dietary restrictions unless you're overweight and need to cut out certain things to lose weight. Being overweight or underweight does impact fertility.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 15th, 2011, 3:53 pm #3

nope, not at all

Shipin
Shipin

April 15th, 2011, 5:13 pm #4

Never did any such thing. Infact I've heard that it's better to consume pure sugar than artificial sweeteners.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 15th, 2011, 5:49 pm #5

I didn't consume a ton of sugar but definitely had my 2 sweet treats a day. Agree with previous poster. Pure sugar is much better than artificial sweetner.

Jamie
Jamie

April 15th, 2011, 8:10 pm #6

I tried this for a while but it was just too hard--I think if you mostly eat healthy and take good supplements for egg quality, a little sugar here and there doesn't hurt.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 16th, 2011, 11:12 pm #7

Never did any such thing. Infact I've heard that it's better to consume pure sugar than artificial sweeteners.
From the books Inconceivable and Infertility Cure. nt.

anon5
anon5

April 17th, 2011, 2:29 am #8

if you had constant high blood sugar, this could hamper your fertility efforts. diabetes and prediabetes affect conception - but you'd have to eat lots of simple sugars, and often, to have constantly high levels. so as long as you don't eat a bag of jelly beans a couple times a day, and keep to a healthy weight, you should be fine

i have a huge sweet tooth, and i was fine

April 17th, 2011, 3:13 am #9

From the books Inconceivable and Infertility Cure. nt.
is big on "no sugars (esp the refined form) and gluten". For vegetarians atleast that diet is very difficult to adhere to.

crayolab
crayolab

April 17th, 2011, 3:35 pm #10

I really restricted my sugar intake for a while, and also tried, totally unsuccessfully, to eliminate gluten. I didn't get pregnant during any of this, so I'm not trying to preach abstinence!

But, as my acu used to tell me, "Insulin is a hormone." And hormones affect fellow hormones. Every body is different, and I've no doubt that eating sugar, raw or refined and especially lots of it, may affect someone's fertility.

I do love my sweets and I was letting myself have chocolate and pretty much whatever I wanted when I got pregnant. I wasn't watching it at all. So go figure. I guess it didn't affect me. In fact, when implantation occurred, I was visiting my parents, and my mother bakes constantly and they have sweets for dessert every night, no exceptions.

One thing that my acu stressed, which I think is good advice, was to go easy on the sweets, yes, but more realistic, to eat them after eating other foods, on top of a balanced meal, so as not to cause yourself a big sugar swing by, say, eating a chocolate bar on an empty stomach. If you present it to your body with other foods, it won't shock your blood sugar as much. (And you are probably less likely to binge.)

I have also pretty much permanently eliminated what I will call passive sugar, meaning sugary drinks. I never really drank soda, but I no longer go for juice by the glass or other sweetened drinks, which cause blood sugar to instantly spike but don't really give me the gratification that a piece of good chocolate does.

In any case, these days, junior and I sure can tuck into a scoop of ice cream. I think he or she got the sugar fiend gene from both Mom and Dad!

c