Another CVS question

Another CVS question

Gym girl
Gym girl

August 2nd, 2012, 2:25 pm #1

Hi everyone,
Just curious as to what you would do... at least those who have or would consider doing a CVS. With my DD pregnancy, since life was more flexible then I was able to travel out of state to Philly to have my CVS done by Dr. Wapner.

Now, with a toddler and my DH traveling extensively for work this coming month, I feel it would be easier to do the CVS locally. I asked my RE for a recommendation (he's the one who originally referred me to Dr. Wapner as the absolute best, etc) and he said that there is a doctor he knows very well locally who actually trained under Dr. Wapner that I could feel comfortable going to.

I spoke to that Dr. today. He said that yes, he was trained by Dr. W back in the 80's. I asked about complication/mc rate and number of CVS's done. He says that Dr. W, who does CVS's and amnios all day, has done about 40,000+ in his career. This doctor, who is also an RE, has done 3,000 so far. He says the m/c rate (though I think this is general, not necessarily his, I should've asked) is 0.5%

What do you all think? Is 3,000 a good number in terms of experience?

Thanks for your help

Bisco
Bisco

August 2nd, 2012, 4:21 pm #2

Along with Wapner, he was one of the first doing CVS in the US! He did all of mine.

Best,
Bisco

Gym girl
Gym girl

August 2nd, 2012, 5:23 pm #3

As I mentioned, I would prefer not to travel. Where I live, NY and Philly would be easier to get to than Chicago. I'm curious to know what you all think about someone having done 3,000. Is that a high number, enough to feel comfortable?
Thanks!

jkl
jkl

August 2nd, 2012, 5:42 pm #4

Hi everyone,
Just curious as to what you would do... at least those who have or would consider doing a CVS. With my DD pregnancy, since life was more flexible then I was able to travel out of state to Philly to have my CVS done by Dr. Wapner.

Now, with a toddler and my DH traveling extensively for work this coming month, I feel it would be easier to do the CVS locally. I asked my RE for a recommendation (he's the one who originally referred me to Dr. Wapner as the absolute best, etc) and he said that there is a doctor he knows very well locally who actually trained under Dr. Wapner that I could feel comfortable going to.

I spoke to that Dr. today. He said that yes, he was trained by Dr. W back in the 80's. I asked about complication/mc rate and number of CVS's done. He says that Dr. W, who does CVS's and amnios all day, has done about 40,000+ in his career. This doctor, who is also an RE, has done 3,000 so far. He says the m/c rate (though I think this is general, not necessarily his, I should've asked) is 0.5%

Thanks for your help
0.5% is 1:200, that would freak me out a bit. Can you find his odds? I also think it's more important how ,any he does a week, does he do them once a week, several times?

jkl

Gym girl
Gym girl

August 2nd, 2012, 6:00 pm #5

Thanks for pointing that out...
Is that the general rate/odds? I will contact his office again to find out more.

Thanks!

jkl
jkl

August 2nd, 2012, 6:18 pm #6

I looked into in my area before and that was around what the odds were for the docs where I am, the amnio had better odds, 1:400 I think so that was what I did. But then you have to wait until 14-15 weeks. It's a tough call. jkl

Tanya
Tanya

August 2nd, 2012, 6:58 pm #7

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help
There was recently another thread about CVS, here is the link to my input: http://www.network54.com/Forum/264844/m ... e+with+CVS

I cant recall the odds that I was quoted but I do remember reading that the position can make the CVS procedure either less or more difficult. You may also want to inquire if they would do it vaginally or through your abdomen.

Gym girl
Gym girl

August 2nd, 2012, 7:25 pm #8

When I spoke to the doctor today, he says he only does it this way now... which is how I did it with my DD.

I'll check the thread... thank you!

Gym girl
Gym girl

August 2nd, 2012, 7:33 pm #9

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help
Hi,
I think if I can't feel really comfortable with anyone locally, Atlanta is not that bad... I've seen a couple of posts about someone in Atlanta.

Does anyone know the name of the doctor?

Thank you!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

August 3rd, 2012, 2:30 am #10

Dr. Jeffrey Korotkin at Atlanta Perinatal Associates