Advice about weight gain

Advice about weight gain

Laura
Laura

January 27th, 2012, 7:59 pm #1

I was just thinking about this today, as it appears I have gained about 2 lbs in the past week.

No matter what your OB says, you should not be afraid of gaining 30+ lbs (unless you are already obese, but seeing as how many of us changed lifestyles when TTC, I doubt this is the case). During my first pg with DS, I was scared about gaining 'too much weight'. According to my OB at the time, 25 lbs was borderline too much. By the time I delivered at 34 wk, I had only gained 20 lbs. All of it was gone within 1 wk. I never deprived myself, but I know I did not eat enough and not enough of the right things, and to this day I believe one of the reasons I delivered prematurely was bc I simply had not gained enough weight and had a job where I spent 6 hours per day on my feet. My OB should have taken my job into account when telling me how much weight I could gain.

There's a reason that celebs gain 40+ pounds sometimes: they need to! As glamorous as their lives look, many are malnourished and don't get enough sleep. Actors at least work 12+ hours each day and spend several more doing interviews, commercials, traveling between work/home, etc. The only way to support a growing life with that kind of lifestyle is to gain that much weight.

So I've decided my former OB is insane to say that I, a sometimes frail-looking skinny girl, shouldn't gain more than 25 lbs. As long as you do it healthily (not eating whole pizzas or cartons of ice cream) and don't put yourself at risk for gestational diabetes doing so, gaining 30-40lbs should not worry anyone. If, God willing, my pg sticks I am going to aim for putting on 30-35 lbs. Bring on the full-fat dairy products. yum!!

MargieD
MargieD

January 28th, 2012, 12:29 am #2

I stopped looking at the scales after 30 weeks or so! LOL I am not a tiny frail thing - just a normal sized girl.

Funny thing... even though I gained so much weight, everyone told me I looked small. Most people were convinced I was having a boy because of how "small" I was. We did not find out the baby's gender until she was born. I did not need to wear maternity jeans but maternity tops.

I lost all of the weight within a couple of months and especially after I stopped breastfeeding.

I was also walking 5 miles a day up to the day before I gave birth.

And oh - DD was born 2 weeks late - I had to be induced.

I did not have GD either.

I am not saying you should gain 50-60 pounds (smile), but like you said - be healthy...

January 28th, 2012, 1:25 am #3

I was just thinking about this today, as it appears I have gained about 2 lbs in the past week.

No matter what your OB says, you should not be afraid of gaining 30+ lbs (unless you are already obese, but seeing as how many of us changed lifestyles when TTC, I doubt this is the case). During my first pg with DS, I was scared about gaining 'too much weight'. According to my OB at the time, 25 lbs was borderline too much. By the time I delivered at 34 wk, I had only gained 20 lbs. All of it was gone within 1 wk. I never deprived myself, but I know I did not eat enough and not enough of the right things, and to this day I believe one of the reasons I delivered prematurely was bc I simply had not gained enough weight and had a job where I spent 6 hours per day on my feet. My OB should have taken my job into account when telling me how much weight I could gain.

There's a reason that celebs gain 40+ pounds sometimes: they need to! As glamorous as their lives look, many are malnourished and don't get enough sleep. Actors at least work 12+ hours each day and spend several more doing interviews, commercials, traveling between work/home, etc. The only way to support a growing life with that kind of lifestyle is to gain that much weight.

So I've decided my former OB is insane to say that I, a sometimes frail-looking skinny girl, shouldn't gain more than 25 lbs. As long as you do it healthily (not eating whole pizzas or cartons of ice cream) and don't put yourself at risk for gestational diabetes doing so, gaining 30-40lbs should not worry anyone. If, God willing, my pg sticks I am going to aim for putting on 30-35 lbs. Bring on the full-fat dairy products. yum!!
I gained 35 lbs by the time I delivered at 37 weeks. I ate what I wanted but ate healthy too. Definitely extra ice cream though. I suppose I gained on the top tier of the range that was recommended for me (I started at 125 lbs). I gained it all in my stomach which I guess made me look huge. It's taken me til now - 3.5 years later to get it all off but I've really had to adjust my workout routine - saw a trainer last summer and slimmed back the last 5lbs. Body can't do what it used to. I also swam laps my whole pregnancy, I think I did 40 the week before I delivered. The water was the only place I felt good really since my middle weight was so much for my frame.

Ekb88
Ekb88

January 28th, 2012, 10:06 am #4

I gained 55 lbs with ds. I was a bit heavy to start, probably 20 lbs over my ideal weight. But that's how much my body needed. Most of the weight was gone in 6 months, all of it in a year. There's no way I could have kept to a 25 lb weight gain without starving myself and the baby. I think those weight recs are nuts.

bigboy
bigboy

January 28th, 2012, 2:24 pm #5

im 5'7 and was 126 when i got pregnant...now im up 13 pounds and im 28 weeks with twins. MFM said everything looks great, babies are measuring great. if this was my first pregnancy he may have been more into the weight gain.

with my son, i gained a total of 17-18 pounds, had him at 39 weeks exactly and he was 7lbs exactly. i pretty much ate what i wanted, when i wanted it. i think it's different for everyone. i do think some OBs get over the top about not gaining too much weight. - especially male!

Laura
Laura

January 29th, 2012, 2:46 pm #6

I was the same weight as you before pg with DS, but I am a teacher, so I was on my feet at least 6 hrs per day. I didn't feel good either, so as long as you feel good you're fine!

bigboy
bigboy

January 29th, 2012, 4:07 pm #7

im on my feet all the time caring/chasing after my 3 year old, grocery shopping, etc.
i dont know if my weight gain means that my body is efficient. i just think it's different for everybody and there is no right formula for weight gain.