Aaron is here! (long)

Aaron is here! (long)

November 29th, 2011, 6:42 pm #1

Aaron Benjamin arrived on Sunday, 11/27, at 4:17 p.m. weighing 8 lbs (!), and measuring 20 3/4 inches.

Much to everyone's surprise, I ended up delivering VBAC, I can't believe it. I never thought I'd do it, but I always said I'd entertain the idea if things started happening naturally, which they did.

I was scheduled to have a repeat c-section (my last ds was breech) on Thursday, 12/1, but I had a feeling I'd go earlier. He had turned head down, and was extremely low in my pelvis, so low that I was getting pains shooting down my inner thighs. Thanksgiving was tough--I hosted it--and was exhausted by the end of the day. I also started contracting with somewhat regularity, although they were far apart.

On Saturday morning, I woke up with bloody show. Told DH we had to go and cut down a Christmas tree, which is a tradition for us, but that he had to do it with the kids and I'd stay in the truck It was so funny, he was texting me pictures of trees to get my thumbs up or down, lol!

Anyway, that night I got online with work and finished up a couple of projects. I emailed various people and cc'd my boss telling them I wasn't sure where I'd be on Monday, but I had a feeling they'd be taking over for me. After about 2 1/2 hours, I finished up work, and went downstairs to watch some TV with DH. The second I sat down, my water broke. DH was asleep on the couch, so I woke him up out of a sound sleep and scared the sh*t out of him!

Got to the hospital about midnight. The nurse checked me and said I was only 1 cm dialated and 50% effaced. My doc came in (same one I chose to do my c-section...just by lucky coincidence she was the on-call doc for the whole weekend--fate!!) and we reopened the discussion about VBAC. She told me she thought we should try it. I was contracting every 3 minutes, and she was sure that would dialate me. Well, even though I was contracting regularly, they weren't too intense, and after 9 hours of that, there was no progress.

Then she talked to me about pitocin. I knew there were increased risks of placental abruption with VBAC using that kind of medication, so I was leery. But, she said she'd only use a tiny amount just to see if it would kickstart things. And it worked! About a half hour later, the contractions started intensifying--big time. The doc came back in a couple hours later and I was 2 cm and 100 % effaced. Soon after I couldn't take the pain from the contrax anymore, so I asked for an epi, which was heaven.

A few hours after that, around 4:00 p.m., the OB came back to check me and said "Your baby is right there! You're ready to push!" I couldn't believe I hadn't felt the progression to that point. Four contractions later, Aaron entered the world kicking and screaming! And I didn't feel any pain! I actually said to the OB "Is that it?" She laughed and was like, "Not yet, let's deliver the placenta" and then I was done!

I can't get over how pain-free it was compared to my other boys. My first vaginal birth was painful even with the epi, and there were complications involving me passing out all the time. DS#2 was a c-section, which was fine by me, but I'm just glad I don't need the extra recovery time.

Aaron is awesome! He's breastfeeding like a champ and my milk is in, but my nipples are killing me again, just like last time. They're cracked and raw, but I asked for the medicated ointment right away (last time they rx'd it as a last-ditch effort) so hopefully it won't take too long for them to heal.

Getting ready to go home now. The boys already came to visit and did well with their little brother. It'll be good to get into a routine.

I'll post pics when I get home. Aaron's a big boy! He's lost a half pound or so, but is gaining now that my milk's in. He's a bit jaundiced, too, so keeping an eye on that.

Love to all of you! GL to all the moms-to-be and to all those TTC! This journey wouldn't have been the same without all of you.

Hugs,
Meg

Whitney
Whitney

November 29th, 2011, 6:50 pm #2

CONGRATS!

November 29th, 2011, 7:00 pm #3

Aaron Benjamin arrived on Sunday, 11/27, at 4:17 p.m. weighing 8 lbs (!), and measuring 20 3/4 inches.

Much to everyone's surprise, I ended up delivering VBAC, I can't believe it. I never thought I'd do it, but I always said I'd entertain the idea if things started happening naturally, which they did.

I was scheduled to have a repeat c-section (my last ds was breech) on Thursday, 12/1, but I had a feeling I'd go earlier. He had turned head down, and was extremely low in my pelvis, so low that I was getting pains shooting down my inner thighs. Thanksgiving was tough--I hosted it--and was exhausted by the end of the day. I also started contracting with somewhat regularity, although they were far apart.

On Saturday morning, I woke up with bloody show. Told DH we had to go and cut down a Christmas tree, which is a tradition for us, but that he had to do it with the kids and I'd stay in the truck It was so funny, he was texting me pictures of trees to get my thumbs up or down, lol!

Anyway, that night I got online with work and finished up a couple of projects. I emailed various people and cc'd my boss telling them I wasn't sure where I'd be on Monday, but I had a feeling they'd be taking over for me. After about 2 1/2 hours, I finished up work, and went downstairs to watch some TV with DH. The second I sat down, my water broke. DH was asleep on the couch, so I woke him up out of a sound sleep and scared the sh*t out of him!

Got to the hospital about midnight. The nurse checked me and said I was only 1 cm dialated and 50% effaced. My doc came in (same one I chose to do my c-section...just by lucky coincidence she was the on-call doc for the whole weekend--fate!!) and we reopened the discussion about VBAC. She told me she thought we should try it. I was contracting every 3 minutes, and she was sure that would dialate me. Well, even though I was contracting regularly, they weren't too intense, and after 9 hours of that, there was no progress.

Then she talked to me about pitocin. I knew there were increased risks of placental abruption with VBAC using that kind of medication, so I was leery. But, she said she'd only use a tiny amount just to see if it would kickstart things. And it worked! About a half hour later, the contractions started intensifying--big time. The doc came back in a couple hours later and I was 2 cm and 100 % effaced. Soon after I couldn't take the pain from the contrax anymore, so I asked for an epi, which was heaven.

A few hours after that, around 4:00 p.m., the OB came back to check me and said "Your baby is right there! You're ready to push!" I couldn't believe I hadn't felt the progression to that point. Four contractions later, Aaron entered the world kicking and screaming! And I didn't feel any pain! I actually said to the OB "Is that it?" She laughed and was like, "Not yet, let's deliver the placenta" and then I was done!

I can't get over how pain-free it was compared to my other boys. My first vaginal birth was painful even with the epi, and there were complications involving me passing out all the time. DS#2 was a c-section, which was fine by me, but I'm just glad I don't need the extra recovery time.

Aaron is awesome! He's breastfeeding like a champ and my milk is in, but my nipples are killing me again, just like last time. They're cracked and raw, but I asked for the medicated ointment right away (last time they rx'd it as a last-ditch effort) so hopefully it won't take too long for them to heal.

Getting ready to go home now. The boys already came to visit and did well with their little brother. It'll be good to get into a routine.

I'll post pics when I get home. Aaron's a big boy! He's lost a half pound or so, but is gaining now that my milk's in. He's a bit jaundiced, too, so keeping an eye on that.

Love to all of you! GL to all the moms-to-be and to all those TTC! This journey wouldn't have been the same without all of you.

Hugs,
Meg
Awe Meg, I'm so so happy for you!!!! Sounds like it could not have gone better. I'm glad it was a great birth experience for you and that he is doing well. Also glad you knew what to do for the nipples so they don't get so sore this time around. Now rest up as much as you can and enjoy your new arrival! Can't wait to see the pics!

xoxo, Tracy

Tanya
Tanya

November 29th, 2011, 7:46 pm #4

Hugs,
Meg
Congratulations!!!!

November 29th, 2011, 7:49 pm #5

Hugs,
Meg
Congratulations! I loved reading your birth story...felt like I was there!

Congrats, Aaron sounds like a lucky baby!

TTC: Since Nov. 2006
Diagnosis: Ovarian Dysfunction & PCOS
26 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
7 Unmonitored Cycles of Clomid
3 Unmonitored Cycles of Letrozole
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
1st Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed BDing - 5 mature follies - BFN
TAB for cysts
2nd Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 4 mature follies in play - BFN
3rd Cycle of 150 iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 2 follies - BFN
1st Cycle of Gonal F - 1 follie & cyst on right - BFN
TAB for a cycle
2nd Cycle of Gonal F = BFP!!!!!
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064
5w6d - baby measuring 3mm, h/b 101
6w6d - baby measuring 6mm, h/b 126
7w6d - baby 18mm, h/b 171, measuring ahead at 8w2d! RE noticed enlarged yolk sac so keeping a close eye on that
8w6d - baby 2.52cm with h/b of 174
9w5d - baby 3.22cm with h/b of 180 measuring 10w1d
10w6d - baby 4.34cmcm with h/b of 174 measuring 11w1d
12w u/s showed baby at 11.2cm with h/b of 162 - unfortunately, that evening I suffered a horrible m/c of a chromosomally NORMAL girl.... RIP my angel girl...you were loved....

First cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse since m/c - BFN
2nd Cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse - BFN
TAB for a month on bcp's
3rd Cycle of Gonal F - BFP
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366
u/s at 6w1d showed heart-rate of 114!!!!
u/s at 7w1d showed heart-rate of 141!!!!
u/s at 8w showed heart-rate of 179
u/s at 9w showed 2 SCH's, h/r of 197
u/s at 10w showed h/r of 175
u/s at 11w showed h/r of 180
u/s at 12 w showed h/r of 188
12w2d...m/c'd baby at home, lost too much blood, had to have emergency D&C...severely anemic....baby was a chromosomally normal boy
-developed a blood clot in leg 1 1/2 wks post D&C...saw a hematologist and had testing done and everything came back normal, will still treat me with Lovenex on next pregnancy

Alli
Alli

November 29th, 2011, 7:57 pm #6

Hugs,
Meg
Congrats Meg. Love the name.

November 29th, 2011, 8:02 pm #7

Hugs,
Meg
That is a great story!! I love the chopping of the Christmas tree amidst all happening!
Glad to hear it worked so well and somewhat effortless!
Best to you and your family.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

November 29th, 2011, 8:47 pm #8

Hugs,
Meg
so glad that you had a great experience! And that he's already nursing like a pro!! So wonderful. Enjoy the Christmas tree! All the best to you and the family. Can't wait to see pics!!

Sara H ( from the other board)
Sara H ( from the other board)

November 29th, 2011, 8:49 pm #9

Hugs,
Meg
I can't wait to see the pictures! So glad it went so very well!
Hugs and love! Sara H

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

November 29th, 2011, 8:52 pm #10

Hugs,
Meg
So very happy for you. Enjoy your new baby boy!!