10 Weeks and all is good!

10 Weeks and all is good!

August 18th, 2011, 7:53 pm #1

I had my 10 wk u/s and baby is growing just on schedule! I was so incredibly nervous for the u/s to start. I kept having flash backs to the last time I was at this point and it was bad news. When I saw the heartbeat I broke down crying. I was so overwhelmed with relief! I am feeling so much better. but then I am scared to get too happy. I am on lots of meds for several immune issues and I am just not sure I can feel confident in this pregnancy yet. I wonder if/when I will feel like I can relax and enjoy? I did but the doppler that was recommended on here a while back, and I just got it today. I just used it and it worked great! How wonderful to be able to check yourself any time. Such piece of mind.

Well, I just wanted to post a bit of happy news.

Oh and one question: My Dr said that there are many chromosomal tests that can be done. I thought it was pretty straightforward...the 12 week NT and bloods? But he made it seem complicated. What do I need to know about the various tests??

Thanks!
E

Kristen
Kristen

August 18th, 2011, 8:36 pm #2

So happy for you ~ Congratulations!

It is such a relief to get to this point and see LO is doing just fine. The dopplers are great and deliver such peace of mind, I use mine often.

I am also an immune 'patient'. I'm not sure of your regimine, but mine is pretty easy... I just get an infusion every 4 weeks through 17 weeks to cover me to 20 weeks. I think understood that the immune issues go away at 20 weeks, but it may depend on your dx.

As far as the testing and what's next... my doctors are maybe conservative. They recommend getting the NT Screen and blood work (basically a detailed ultrasound and finger prick) first, then reviewing the results and making a recommendation. My peri basically said that if the results came back VERY high risk, then he would recommmend a CVS, moderate risk, an amnio, low risk, nothing. But, it depends on your doc, your age, your risk and/or what you are comfortable with...

Mine was actually done around 11 weeks, so you could go soon. There are more checks via ultrasound and blood work to continue to validate / evaluate the screen. I think around 15 weeks and possibly 19 or 20 weeks. I seem to remember two last time. I am headed in for my 15 week appointment next week, so I guess I'll find out then.

When are you scheduled? Are you planning to see a perinatologist?

Enjoy this awesome news today & congratulations again!

K

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

August 18th, 2011, 8:54 pm #3

I had my 10 wk u/s and baby is growing just on schedule! I was so incredibly nervous for the u/s to start. I kept having flash backs to the last time I was at this point and it was bad news. When I saw the heartbeat I broke down crying. I was so overwhelmed with relief! I am feeling so much better. but then I am scared to get too happy. I am on lots of meds for several immune issues and I am just not sure I can feel confident in this pregnancy yet. I wonder if/when I will feel like I can relax and enjoy? I did but the doppler that was recommended on here a while back, and I just got it today. I just used it and it worked great! How wonderful to be able to check yourself any time. Such piece of mind.

Oh and one question: My Dr said that there are many chromosomal tests that can be done. I thought it was pretty straightforward...the 12 week NT and bloods? But he made it seem complicated. What do I need to know about the various tests??

Thanks!
E
First, congrats on the great progress! You're nearing the end of the first tri and this is awesome.

Second, regarding the "many" chromosomal tests that can be done. Not exactly sure what your doctor is referring to here. I can tell you that when I met with the Genzyme counselor she did tell us that there are thousands (not sure if it was a matter of exageration or literal) of tests that could be done but that it's not feasible to test for everything, hence why they take a detailed history of both parents to help you narrow down if there are specific tests to do, for example the Tay Sachs test comes to mind. But as a general matter there really is only "one" test that is done and that is b/w and NT scan which combined can give you a sense of risk for Down (which is technically Trisomy 21) and Trisomy 13/18 (considered not compatible with life).

I'd refer back to him to ask what are these "many" chromosomal tests that you could do.

August 18th, 2011, 10:08 pm #4

Thanks!
E
I think I remember you saying that there may have been other smaller sacs. Glad to hear all is well!
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

August 18th, 2011, 11:23 pm #5

Hi Alli,

Yep, that was me with the other sacs. When I finally got myself to a decent u/s machine we could see that there were 2 other sacs but that the babies didn't make it, and they were already starting to collapse. At this last u/s they could barely see them anymore. I never bled or cramped, which I am thankful for. So, I did have a week of anxiety and sadness over the lost little ones, but I am now just focused on the healthy one.

E

August 18th, 2011, 11:34 pm #6

So happy for you ~ Congratulations!

It is such a relief to get to this point and see LO is doing just fine. The dopplers are great and deliver such peace of mind, I use mine often.

I am also an immune 'patient'. I'm not sure of your regimine, but mine is pretty easy... I just get an infusion every 4 weeks through 17 weeks to cover me to 20 weeks. I think understood that the immune issues go away at 20 weeks, but it may depend on your dx.

As far as the testing and what's next... my doctors are maybe conservative. They recommend getting the NT Screen and blood work (basically a detailed ultrasound and finger prick) first, then reviewing the results and making a recommendation. My peri basically said that if the results came back VERY high risk, then he would recommmend a CVS, moderate risk, an amnio, low risk, nothing. But, it depends on your doc, your age, your risk and/or what you are comfortable with...

Mine was actually done around 11 weeks, so you could go soon. There are more checks via ultrasound and blood work to continue to validate / evaluate the screen. I think around 15 weeks and possibly 19 or 20 weeks. I seem to remember two last time. I am headed in for my 15 week appointment next week, so I guess I'll find out then.

When are you scheduled? Are you planning to see a perinatologist?

Enjoy this awesome news today & congratulations again!

K
Thanks for the info on the tests Kristen. That is pretty much what my preggo friend said when I called her today. I am not sure what the Dr was talking about, so I'll have to ask him. I am scheduled for the NT at 12w3d on 8/31. It is with a high risk OB. My husband is leaving this monday for a month and I'm bummed he won't be there. I am wondering if I should bring my Mom? OR maybe I's rather be alone? Do you get the news right away if something is off with the NT?

I am on a bunch of drugs for the immune issues....which I hate. My protocol includes blood thinner for antiphospholipid antibodies, steroids for antinuclear antibodies (and other antibodies), extra progesterone, baby aspirin, synthroid for anti-thyroid antibodies, and IVIG as testing shows I need it for natural killer cells and t-reg cells. I have had 3 IVIG infusions so far. Is that what you are getting, IVIG? I am also on 2 antibiotics because I have/had chronic lyme and it can be passed to a fetus, so trying to prevent that. I also came up as anemic at 6w and so am on extra iron now. The pills and shot schedule is a bit overwhelming sometimes. Just hope none of it is harming the babe.

Thanks again for the response and info. Glad to hear all is going well for you. Is this your first pregnancy?

Elizabeth

August 18th, 2011, 11:39 pm #7

First, congrats on the great progress! You're nearing the end of the first tri and this is awesome.

Second, regarding the "many" chromosomal tests that can be done. Not exactly sure what your doctor is referring to here. I can tell you that when I met with the Genzyme counselor she did tell us that there are thousands (not sure if it was a matter of exageration or literal) of tests that could be done but that it's not feasible to test for everything, hence why they take a detailed history of both parents to help you narrow down if there are specific tests to do, for example the Tay Sachs test comes to mind. But as a general matter there really is only "one" test that is done and that is b/w and NT scan which combined can give you a sense of risk for Down (which is technically Trisomy 21) and Trisomy 13/18 (considered not compatible with life).

I'd refer back to him to ask what are these "many" chromosomal tests that you could do.
that your doc was referring too maybe. It was confusing though, cause he lumped the NT and those routine chromosome tests into the statement. I'll have him clarify next time. He also did end up saying for my blood tests we will do the 'sequential' one. I guess check the levels twice over a period of time.

Thanks so much for the info! I will let you know how it goes in 2 weeks!

E

August 18th, 2011, 11:48 pm #8

Thanks!
E
happy to hear this good news.

hug

jm

August 19th, 2011, 12:54 am #9

Thanks!
E
Great news, keep it coming! I know the relief that you felt, I am going thru the same.

ALM
ALM

August 19th, 2011, 1:04 am #10

Thanks!
E
Hey - Congrats! I'm glad that you have gotten some peace of mind and got to see the h/b and know all is fine. I'm just ahead of you at 10 weeks this past Monday. They cut my progesterone WAY down and are weaning me off of it this week. Woo hoo! I can finally walk around again without feeling like I'm going to fall asleep standing up.

How are you feeling? Good Luck!