WA1500 Twist Rate of Barrels

January 2nd, 2017, 10:44 pm #11

JB
I'm currently using 2.60gr of AS30N + 100gr Spartan SWC @ 1.035 ( short I know ) and I had major issues using Win brass but swapped to all new Starline and feeding problems disappeared straight away. The lockup is ok but after about 200+ rounds I can get some issues because the chamber is pretty tight. The loads chrono at between 1030 and 1050 fps, its interesting because below those speeds the groups open up quickly off the sand bag.

My STI has a definitive clunk when it batters which is annoying but has the advantage of letting you know if a round gets stuck and doesn't chamber, the trigger is ok its closer to 3lb than 4lb and practically zero creep ( I made up a trigger stop screw with a rubber insert ). The rear sight is aristocrat but the front is a custom steel block grub screwed onto the barrel, the screws are definitely imperial.

January 2nd, 2017, 11:53 pm #12

Andrew,have you tried AP70N powder? The ADS30N not listed until you get to 115 grain boolit. I see where this powder comparable to some Hodgen powders and loads.ADI now Thales Powder.
On the Spartan boolit, is it polymer coated or copper wash? What diameter are they.355 or .356?
You should be good at the 1050 fps mark if it functions gun.Might do even better little faster.
In our matches if the trigger wont lift 3.5 lbs they DQ it. A machinist made up my front sight to fit the factory dovetail in the slide.My adjustment screws are definitely metric. Might be a copy.

January 3rd, 2017, 3:29 am #13

I have tried the AP70N but found the lighter loads tend to spit out unburnt powder but it is really soft to shoot. The spartans are polymer coated ( green ) and are .356 and after some more test this morning anything under 1050 fps and the groups open up, I'm thinking of trying 1100fps to see if it gets tighter or stays the same. Had no joy with the 2.1gr Bullseye 100gr SWC out of my 1500 revolver but, thinking because my twist rate is 1:16 that it needs to go faster than the 700fps to stabilize.

January 4th, 2017, 8:38 am #14

Hey Andrew, I'm running 2.9gr of AP50 through mine at present wit the 100SWC's, soft but groups OK at 50yds. Anything under that and it's a one hole group. Over the chrono it's just running a little over 1000fps (as you are), I haven't done a lot of work with the 9mm as it's purely for fun for me.

I'm running .357 spartans, exactly the same as my revolver. It's not true that I am lazy, just frugal

I couldn't get AP70 to shoot and as you found also that there was too much unburnt powder. When I ran out of my tin of 473AA I ran AP30 for a while with 3.2gr but as I had 6 tins of the 50 decided to give it a go. It fills the case up to the base of the projy and meters fine through the Dillon so it's a bonus, plus it's around the same burn rate as the 473AA.

I have found with my service loads that AP/AS30 will give fantastic consistent results in a 3.0 to 4.0gr load but due to it's coarseness will not throw consistant small charges. I do know someone who uses it in their 32S&W, and was until recently in the NSW team, but he doesn't throw them, each one is measured.

January 4th, 2017, 11:05 am #15

Tony your dead right about the small charges, I managed to get 2.1 to throw very reliably in an old Lee Pro 1000 press with the grey half disk's. For some reason the Lee Auto disk with a large hole works well with AS30N. My Dillon XL650 won't do that, as with some other complaints about it my original reloader in the Lee does many things better. I scored 3lbs of Bullseye today so I'm a very man today

Testing out some loads tomorrow in the 9mm hopefully pushing the 1100 fps from a sandbag just to see what happens with the group sizing.

January 4th, 2017, 4:39 pm #16

If you can get some Nobel Vectan BA9 you might want to try this:
Reload (9 mm Parabellum (9 Luger) (9 x 19) / Ba9)CIP RULESLength [mm]19,15Pressure [bar]

2350BULLETTypeJRPWeight [g]6.48Weight {[grs]100 grains} PRIMER PrimerSmall

PistolPOWDER PowderBa9STARTING Load
: [g]0.24Weight [grs]3.7Velocity [m/s]331Velocity [fps]1088MAXIMUM LOADWeight [g]

0.30Weight [grs]4.6Velocity [m/s]370Velocity [fps]1213

This stuff meters great.

There are 9mm loads for BA10 also for 9mm, but faster powder burn similar to BE. BA9 recommended for 9mm.
Just suggestion you might want to do some research on

January 4th, 2017, 7:33 pm #17

Thanks JB, I haven't seen Nobels powder in Aus since the '80's when I bought a can of Revolver No 1, I still have the unopened tin. Unfortunately we are stuck between the rock and the hard place, a shortage in the US means an extra shortage here.

ADI/Thales manage to export most of their powder these days over there and re-badge as Hodgons, apart from the "small fire" they had in one of their production lines we have been promised a replacement for AP30 for two years now. If you can find the other ADI powders then if it works you grab it. Winchester powder is scarcer than hen's teeth, we have a plant down in Melbourne but they don't produce powder, go figure. Alliant is just if not more difficult to get hold of so we buy big. Vihtavuori powder is few and far between, and enormously expensive.

That is why we tend to be experimenters over here, make something work. I know someone with a tin of WAA Lite that I may pinch and see if I can get that to do something in the 9mm, at least I can buy quantity.

I won't get started on primers.....

But thanks for the heads up on Vectan, you never know.

cheers

January 5th, 2017, 2:47 am #18

Andrew,have you tried AP70N powder? The ADS30N not listed until you get to 115 grain boolit. I see where this powder comparable to some Hodgen powders and loads.ADI now Thales Powder.
On the Spartan boolit, is it polymer coated or copper wash? What diameter are they.355 or .356?
You should be good at the 1050 fps mark if it functions gun.Might do even better little faster.
In our matches if the trigger wont lift 3.5 lbs they DQ it. A machinist made up my front sight to fit the factory dovetail in the slide.My adjustment screws are definitely metric. Might be a copy.
JB
You were right mate, pushed it up to 1100 fps and shot a nice 4 shot group as below, the impact point is high but I guess that's muzzle rise.

January 5th, 2017, 3:55 am #19

Great, looks good. Sometimes a little boost on speed will stabilize the boolit, especially the lighter weight one like this. We have found that the 115 JHP 9mm will tighten up around 1200 fps. Have to experiment keeping things in a safe range of course looking for sudden pressure changes or other signs you have gone too far. With lead pills you have to be especially careful particularly the swaged HBWC. If you run them too fast, can blow skirts off and get some pressure spikes. I have seen them come off and get stuck in forcing cones. Hard cast and good lubed boolits can be run pretty fast with relative safety and good results.
Glad my suggestion had positive results for you. Keep shooting those groups and out um all in the center. A good shooter told me the key to being a good marksman is putting them all in the center. LOL

January 8th, 2017, 10:10 pm #20

Tony your dead right about the small charges, I managed to get 2.1 to throw very reliably in an old Lee Pro 1000 press with the grey half disk's. For some reason the Lee Auto disk with a large hole works well with AS30N. My Dillon XL650 won't do that, as with some other complaints about it my original reloader in the Lee does many things better. I scored 3lbs of Bullseye today so I'm a very man today

Testing out some loads tomorrow in the 9mm hopefully pushing the 1100 fps from a sandbag just to see what happens with the group sizing.
Andrew,
How did you do with your testing with the BE?