Problems with bullets

Problems with bullets

January 24th, 2018, 3:27 am #1

I just received my order of Remington 148 wadcutter, and I'm having nothing but problems with misfires. I was loading Zero 148 wad cutters previously with no problems. I get 1 or 2 squib rounds every cylinder full. I have no problems with the double ended wad cutters I'm loading now.I don't know how to fix this problem other than ditching these bullets. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

January 25th, 2018, 2:55 pm #2

I am going to assume these are "not your" reloads and factory ammo. If this is correct, you need to increase the tension on your mainspring for a harder hit.Remington primers are pretty hard. If you are set up for Federal primers definitely need to do this. Check the gun for end shake too. Is it a total misfire or a squib that just barely exits the bbl?

Unregistered Member
Unregistered Member

January 25th, 2018, 7:32 pm #3

These are Bullets that I have reloaded. The squib round makes it into the barrel, but not out of it. I think the oily bullet lube they have used on these Bullets has fouled the powder so it won’t work. All the Bullets I loaded before these, not one misfire. After using the oily Remington Bullets, misfires every cylinder.

January 25th, 2018, 8:53 pm #4

I am going to assume these are "not your" reloads and factory ammo. If this is correct, you need to increase the tension on your mainspring for a harder hit.Remington primers are pretty hard. If you are set up for Federal primers definitely need to do this. Check the gun for end shake too. Is it a total misfire or a squib that just barely exits the bbl?
These are Remington wadcutter Bullets that I reloaded. I was reloading Zero wadcutter Bullets when these showed up. I started using the Remington Bullets, same powder charge, same primers. When I had reloaded 100, I took all my stuff to the range to try out the new Bullets. First cylinder, squib loads, didn’t make it out the end of the barrel. This went on for several cylinders, when I decided to go back to my original zero loads. Not one squib load in several cylinders. I think the oily bullet lube used on the Remington Bullets has fouled the powder causing the squib loads. Does anyone have an idea what can be done to make these Bullets usable? Thanks for your help, Dave.

January 26th, 2018, 1:55 am #5

Dave, I have used these bullets for years and never had a problem unless my powder measure did not drop the correct amount. These bullets are a little larger than Zero, mike out around.359-.360. They without doubt have shot the tightest groups from my gun and others that we have machine rested.
What type of powder measure are you using? Are you double checking dropped charges, at least every 10th one? Maybe everyone since you are having problems. What powder are you using. Make sure your bbl is clean and clear of anything.
In my opinion, not the bullets, but the powder charge and or your measure not dropping any powder and just the primer pushing it down the bbl. This is the classic problem.
I assume you are using same powder you did for your Zero loads. How are you storing the powder, how old is it? Same canister or different batch?
One other suggestion, try some different powder and see if you still get squibs.

January 26th, 2018, 3:51 am #6

JB, thanks for the reply.I'm using the same powder, Bullseye, that I was using for the Zero bullets. I stopped loading the Zero bullets when the UPS driver showed up with the Remington bullets, and started loading them. The powder didn't set for months on the shelf waiting for the Remington bullets to show up. After loading 100 of them, I went to the range to try them out. At least one squib round per cylinder, for several cylinders. The Zero bullets loaded on the same day, same powder measure, same powder charge, not one misfire. I would also like to add I have never seen the type of oily bullet lube used on the Remington bullets since I've been loading for over 30 years. If I had the same problems with the Zero bullets, I would look into a different powder.

January 26th, 2018, 5:32 am #7

I just received my order of Remington 148 wadcutter, and I'm having nothing but problems with misfires. I was loading Zero 148 wad cutters previously with no problems. I get 1 or 2 squib rounds every cylinder full. I have no problems with the double ended wad cutters I'm loading now.I don't know how to fix this problem other than ditching these bullets. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave.
The more important question is; Where is he getting the Remington 148gr HBWCs???? I haven’t seen those available in years.

January 26th, 2018, 10:06 am #8

They're available from Midway USA. You have to buy them in lots of 2000.

January 26th, 2018, 5:20 pm #9

JB, thanks for the reply.I'm using the same powder, Bullseye, that I was using for the Zero bullets. I stopped loading the Zero bullets when the UPS driver showed up with the Remington bullets, and started loading them. The powder didn't set for months on the shelf waiting for the Remington bullets to show up. After loading 100 of them, I went to the range to try them out. At least one squib round per cylinder, for several cylinders. The Zero bullets loaded on the same day, same powder measure, same powder charge, not one misfire. I would also like to add I have never seen the type of oily bullet lube used on the Remington bullets since I've been loading for over 30 years. If I had the same problems with the Zero bullets, I would look into a different powder.
Interesting!! Again what is the "measure" you are using, and what is the amount(2.7?)B.E. will stack if left in the measure. You have been loading for 30 years, so no novice. I just got some of these bullets in and loaded some up with absolutely no problems. They are lubed with same nasty stuff they been using for years, but never a problem. I guess something could be contaminating the powder, and that means the lube would have to be running down onto the charge. Wish I were close, would love to see what you have. I still would try some other powder if it were me. If you figure it out let me know. My email is jbcustom-leather@att.net

January 26th, 2018, 5:31 pm #10

They're available from Midway USA. You have to buy them in lots of 2000.
Midway is out of stock, just checked. My distributor just got some in. I can get them for $175.99 for a limited time dropped shipped to you if interested, this includes the shipping. This is best price since last time.